Barnes Spitfire MZ Bullets

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
I picked up a pack of 245 gr Barnes Spitfire MZ HPBT bullets to try out of my Encore. Has anyone tried these? I've been told they can be a bit tough to push down the barrel but their accuracy and performance on game are second to none. I'll be using Blackhorn 209 with them.

I haven't tried the ones you have. I have used the 290 gr TMZ's in my Omega 50 cal. T/C's bore are tighter than most. Mine came with the yellow sabots and were real tough to load, too hard.

I bought MMP Black HPH 24 sabots. That cured the problem. They are recommended for T/C's due to the fact they have tighter bores. That's a good thing and the reason these rifles group so well. My Omega will shoot multiple loads under one inch at 100 yards.

Here the link to MMP's site:

http://mmpsabots.com/store/hph-sabot-series/

You might want to try "dry loading" one. Pull the breech plug and load it. You will be able to tell if they are "too tight". If they are, get the sabots listed above.

Hope this might help.

Paul

huntnfool":t2c2a6nf said:
I haven't tried the ones you have. I have used the 290 gr TMZ's in my Omega 50 cal. T/C's bore are tighter than most. Mine came with the yellow sabots and were real tough to load, too hard.

I bought MMP Black HPH 24 sabots. That cured the problem. They are recommended for T/C's due to the fact they have tighter bores. That's a good thing and the reason these rifles group so well. My Omega will shoot multiple loads under one inch at 100 yards.

Here the link to MMP's site:

http://mmpsabots.com/store/hph-sabot-series/

You might want to try "dry loading" one. Pull the breech plug and load it. You will be able to tell if they are "too tight". If they are, get the sabots listed above.

Hope this might help.

Paul
Thanks! I'll give em a try. I haven't had time to get out and see how they shoot.

I have used the 250gr mz expander in my encore for a while now. I didn't notice them loading hard. They have worked great on whitetails and even performed better than expected on a large cow moose. I think you will be happy with them

Back