Barnes TSX FAILURES.

Here is a picture of that TSX shot muley:
2ymvggg.jpg

Skeeter,
I agree with you on your opinion of the TSX. My logic in selecting that bullet initially was the high muzzle velocity, and that it happened to shoot very well in my 270wby. I normally prefer the Partition, and most rifles I have tried it in shoot them quite well, but not this one(at least so far). I am going to try out some accubonds, seems like they may be a good bullet for my mule deer hunting. Where I hunt, all my shots have been 300+ yards, so I tend to favor fast and flat shooting calibers. I guess I need to work on my stalking skillls! :oops:

Here's a mule deer taken by my friend two years ago at 450 yards using Barnes X bullet. Not much tissue damage therefore less meat wasted his reasoning for using the 200 grain Barnes exclusively for his 300 Win mag Remington Sendero. Deer always drop where it stand.

2006-09-16-0847-57.jpg

TSX's work but i think they are too much for deer sized game out of normal velocity cartridges. Unless you are shooting magnums, i just think you will get a pencil hole in and out and not as much damage as you would like for a quicker kill. I am talking cartridges with velocities under 3000 FPS.

Hmm. I've been working on developing a load for my Sako 75 in 7mm RUM. So far I haven't been able to get the 160 grain Accubonds to group at all using Hogden powders. I purchased a box of 160 grain Barnes TSX's to try as well. I also purchased a pound of RL-25 and RL-22 to see if I could get one or the other bullets to group under and inch at 100 yards. I've never had the problem with the Barnes bullets that POP describes. I haven't had anything but one shot drop in the track kills on cow elk using a 180 grain XLC in my .300 RUM. I later went to the 180 grain AccuBond because of better accuracy.

I wonder if those fancy petals just peeled off of that 140 grain bullet at that short distance and high velocity. If the petals peel off that would explain the 7mm in and 7mm out business. I dought very much the TSX failed to open up.

POP,

If you read through various forum postings there seems to be wo things that trickle out.

1) Expansion failure is with the small calibre barnes Xs

2) The 375 and up Barnes Xs appear to work real well.

I think the problem is that the small calibre Barnes Xs have a much smaller hollow point and it is also much smaller in proportion to the bore diamter. I susptect this is because Barnes perceive the smaller calibre used as being much BC minded than is the case for the 375 and up user. Those 375 and larger Barnes have hollow points that you jump into with am arm full of chairs :grin:

I suspect that the new Barnes MRX is designed to allow the small calibre Barnes X to have a large hollow but have a good BC at the same time.

Mike

Hi all,

I'm new so be easy on me :grin: , I to . . . on Nov.11 had a TSX failure using 165gr , 30 cal pushed at 2860 vel. 80-100 yard. Placement was right behind the fore leg. Where he was standing couldn't find no blood, the way he went couldn't find blood. 45 min later after scratching my head and upset I injuried one I found him. As the crow flys he was 100 yards away. 30 cal in, dime out, no blood on either side of the buck (whitetail) I tried to track him back to where he was standing , still no blood.

Last year I killed one with same gun and load. He went only 30 yards, no blood. Shot was around 200 yards. Broadside, high in the lungs. Couldn't wait to get my knife out and start gut'n. Lungs were still firm but with a quarter sized hole through them. Being glad that I got him I blew off the performance . . . until this year

A good friend of mine suggested Noslers in the first place, . . .Heck, he has some still with the lathe marks in them :grin: . but being new to reloading I had to try the NEW THING, great groups with the TSX out of my 3006 though. I don't mind tracking but I want blood. So, . . . Thats my war story . . .I'm thinking either 150 gr Accubonds/ Partition or going to the 165's AB/ Partition in case I might get a chance to go to elk country (good Lord willing).

Well so far I am happy with the TSX, but I think it's too much for a deer.
So far I havn't got a deer, but this morning I shot a RED FOX. The shot was 120yd's. He never knew what hit him. The holes were to my supprises very big. The entrance was about the size of a dime, exit was baseball sized at the base of the skull.
Sorry guys I forgot the camara at the house!

The load was:
130 Grain Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullets (.277Cal.)(.270 Winchester)
CCI 200 Large Rifle Primers
Winchester Brass
51.5 Grain of IMR 4350
Launch Velocity is 3,000-3,100 Fps

WVhunter

I think vel. is the key to the TSX or as U said a little TOO much for deer :wink: Whitetail is thined skin . . .not as thin as that fox though

Mike378":br5q0j78 said:
POP,

If you read through various forum postings there seems to be wo things that trickle out.

1) Expansion failure is with the small calibre barnes Xs

2) The 375 and up Barnes Xs appear to work real well.

I think the problem is that the small calibre Barnes Xs have a much smaller hollow point and it is also much smaller in proportion to the bore diamter. I susptect this is because Barnes perceive the smaller calibre used as being much BC minded than is the case for the 375 and up user. Those 375 and larger Barnes have hollow points that you jump into with am arm full of chairs :grin:

I suspect that the new Barnes MRX is designed to allow the small calibre Barnes X to have a large hollow but have a good BC at the same time.

Mike

Mike I tell you one thing. I shot one of my antelope at 363 yards using a 300 gr from my 416 WBY MAG. The damage was tremendous! Look here.

http://noslerreloading.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2691

So yeah I do belive you about small vs big calibers. And this was not even a TSX but a normal X.

I finally fot to test the TSX on a Whitetailed Doe today. The deer was maybe 60 yards broadside. The bullet hit 2 inches behind her shoulder(my prefered shot). It exited in almost the same spot on the off side. Entrance hole was about the size of a quarter. The exit wasn't much bigger, maybe a 50 cent peice. She is only the second deer I have had run with the .270 Win. She ran for about 10 yards before she started plowing the dirt, then she slid 100 yards over the hill.

Why cant they just stay on top of the ridge?

chuck nelson":3a7hw2i4 said:
I've been shooting both Nosler and Barnes products at game for several years. Both the Partition and the X (and now the TSX) have never let me down. The following two bucks took 150gr partitions from a 280 rem and lost em out the other side after breaking bone and creating havock in between. The whitetail at 20', and the Mule Deer at 326 steps. The results are obvious. The Elk took the same load quartering away and the bullet broke the off shoulder before exiting.

MAN those Alberta bucks have big bodies!! Wow. Nice deer.

-jeff

My theory on why there are many reports of X's not expanding much is that the hollow point can close in from handling damage. Just a bump in the magazine and it may not rip open.

On the other hand a lead filled bullet is weaker inside and if the front of the bullet hits something then it may bust open.

A buddy just shot a whitetail buck with a 130 X from his 270 WSM. He said that there was very little damage and that he would never use on again on deer. He is very familiar with regular bullets on deer out of his 270 Win.

At this point I am using Accubonds and Interbonds. I tried X's a decade ago and they fouled my barrels.

Good luck.

Savage99":1g0kjnty said:
My theory on why there are many reports of X's not expanding much is that the hollow point can close in from handling damage. Just a bump in the magazine and it may not rip open.

On the other hand a lead filled bullet is weaker inside and if the front of the bullet hits something then it may bust open.

A buddy just shot a whitetail buck with a 130 X from his 270 WSM. He said that there was very little damage and that he would never use on again on deer. He is very familiar with regular bullets on deer out of his 270 Win.

At this point I am using Accubonds and Interbonds. I tried X's a decade ago and they fouled my barrels.

Good luck.

I could never get the damn expensive things to shoot in the rifles I tried them in. I bet I've spent over $200 on Barnes bullets and I don't have a load! Yeah, I cleaned the hell out of the bore both before and after using them... I'd use the 180 or 200 in my .358 if they'd shoot for me.

-jeff

My dad used my loads for the 130 tsx from a .270 Win.
He got the same result that I did, only we didn't fin his deer until 3 days later. As far as I could tell the bullets didn't expand at all. I have a theory about them though. I wonder if the bullets are passing through the deer so fast that they don't have the time to expand. We chronoed my loads at 3,254 average.

These bullets are good for coyots, fox and such but nothing bigger. Never again will I use them on a Deer!!!!!!!!

Back