Be Careful!!- Whats wrong w/ this picture?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
4,594
1,423
Did a little reloading last weekend. Just going through some stuff and opened an old box of 100 gr Speers. I was using them to double check my scales, fortunately. They should have been 100 grn'rs. When one did and the other didnt I started taking some measurements and found that one was a 130 gr 7mm. Dont know if I could have loaded it into a .257 case but the results would not have been good! Dont know how I got it in that box of 100 grn'rs but yikes! CL
 

Attachments

  • 7MM vs .257.jpg
    7MM vs .257.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 30
Found a .224 bullet in the bag of Nosler .284 bullets I bought recently. Don't know how that happened but it was easily detected. You wouldn't have gotten that bullet seated.
 
15 years or so ago I bought a box Hornady 7mm 139gr spire pt bullets. When I opened them I immediately knew something wasn't right. Grabbed my calipers and measured them. Low and behold the bullets mixed in with the 7mm's were 264's.

I called Hornady, gave the lot number and they sent a couple boxes for replacement. It also triggered a recall on a couple of lot numbers of those bullets
 
The only mismatch bullets I came across was some 150gr FMJ mixed in a box of 150gr SP from Hornady.
 
It also triggered a recall on a couple of lot numbers of those bullets
After twelve years at a manufacturing company that caters to the automotive industry (Supplemental Restraint System connectors & harnesses, ECM connectors and harnesses, squib connectors for airbags, etc.), I can vividly picture the SHTF moment that caused. During my last week, they had to issue a global recall for several million terminals because someone somehow managed to plate the wrong end.
 
I remember seeing , on one of these forums , pics of brass that was shot out of the wrong rifle . I "THINK" it was 300 win mag ammo , shot out of a 300 WBY chamber . talk about blowing the shoulder forward .
 
It happens. I'm guessing it's most likely at the start of a new run if the last run isn't completely cleaned out or a few get caught up in the machinery.
 
Finding a wrong bullet in a wrong box has happened to me a couple times but it was self induced. Totally my fault! I have never experienced finding a wrong bullet in a factory sealed box (or bag). This includes bulk packaged and seconds.
I’m not doubting anyone, things happen in manufacturing.

Troy, was the box you opened a factory sealed box?

JD338
 
Finding a wrong bullet in a wrong box has happened to me a couple times but it was self induced. Totally my fault! I have never experienced finding a wrong bullet in a factory sealed box (or bag). This includes bulk packaged and seconds.
I’m not doubting anyone, things happen in manufacturing.

Troy, was the box you opened a factory sealed box?

JD338
Please note this was most likely my error. some how I got that bullet for dads 7mag into a partial box of 100 grns for my 250 Savage. Different example- Gun club used to have a Remington automatic that was used as a example for our firearms safety class. Somebody managed to get a 30-06 to go off in a 270 chamber. I didnt see it myself but I am told in addition to blowing the clip out and splaying the reciever, it imbedded the bolt in the rear of the reciever. Inches from the shooters face.... gives a guy pause, for sure. CL
 
Can't say I've had this happen. Worst thing I've seen was I split a case of Remington-UMC .223 Rem with a friend and about one round per box of 20 had a cracked neck.
 
Back
Top