Beam scales

Salchi Papa

Beginner
Sep 16, 2024
So a recent thread about scales got me to thinking about replacing mice. It’s just a cheapy Amazon scale I think I paid less than $50 for. It’s a Brifit and measures .01 grain. Seems to work fine but I’m looking into a beam scale or possibly an electronic dispenser. What is your preferences of the types? What specific scales do you recommend for either type? I’ve never used a beam scale always been electronic and they work but I feel like I’ve had concerns with this one trusting it is weighing correctly. I’ve had several times I’ve weighed out a charge and putting the pan back down on it and getting a .38 or something reading. So I’ve changed batteries and tare the scale and reweigh it…kinda Getting old though

Last edited:
I probably have the same Brifit electric scale and I notice the same thing. It will jump .3 grains out of nowhere but other than that it is reasonably accurate. I’ve also just lost my trust in it and if I have to double check on my balance scale every time it’s just slowing me down. I just use an RCBS beam scale but as you noted, I’m looking to upgrade to an auto dispenser.

Your thread is what made me post this. I didn’t want to hijack it but I’m in the same boat. I’m wanting a quality scale but also not wanting to spend big money. Midway has an RCBS M1000 for $135 right now but I’m not 100% on it. Looking for some advice on trustworthy scales

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 3
I usually use an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 or their Chargmaster Lite, then check with an electronc scale every once in a while, usually every fifth charge. Every tenth chargeis checked the same way with the addition of the use of and RCBS beam scale to double check. That's for rifle. Handguns I use the RCBS powder measure and check every fifth charge. When doing 1,000 round lots of say .38 Spl. or .45ACP, the manual measure is faster.
One thingI have noticed is the type of lighting you have in your reloading room/area can affect the electronic measure, sometimes hardly at all and sometimes a whole bunch. Fluoescent lights can be a big offended. I had to change my system over to LED lights which just happen to be a lot brighter. If you have to plug in your scale, fluctuations in your power supply and cause strange readings. The Chargemasters and my digital scale all run off house electricity. I really should getone of those gizmos that stabize the electric flow so that the digital stuff is more accurate without oddball readings.
Paul B.

I use the RCBS M1000 to check my electronic weights. Using the Franklin. Mine has been stabile for years, but just this week it got whacky with floating by some measurements… so I’m replacing it. Wife asked today and I think I’m getting a charge master for Christmas. I have had not RCBS and Redding drops. Both are great, but need to be checked and tweaked. An M500 would be sufficient. Would expect you’d be happy with the Ohler

The only volume loading I do is pistol loading and I use a Dillon progressive press. I use the scale to set the powder measure and occasionally to check my powder measure. For rifle I use the scale to measure each powder charge. My scale is a RCBS 10-10 made by Ohaus.
Reloading is a relaxing hobby for me so I don't get in a hurry when reloading.

Back