Been away for a bit...what's new?

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
Hello again shooters.
It's been a spell since I've been on
AND....
it's been a crazy 15 months.

My wife got diagnosed with breast cancer so we went through that. Luckily that all worked out as perfectly as possible.

I got bit by the trap shooting bug real bad. I only messed with it a little bit once in a while with my own thrower.
I got an invite..."stop by and shoot trap with us sometime".
Real trap. Never done that before. I said sure.
Next thing I know I'm building a 1100 for trap with a custom built stock...only to get another Benelli, and another, and two more after that.
Then I was asked to shoot in a league, then a team in a league, then another league and team, then states....

I thought I was good shooting from my thrower. Then got humbled real quick shooting actual trap with stations. After a few weeks I was getting recruited.
Then a few months getting recruited hard.

Turns out I really enjoy this new to me sport.
I do well with it and have a lot of fun. I really zeroed in on it and kept myself from any other shooting distractions.

Oh but the metallic cartridges have been calling my name as of late.
I've been resistant to it but it's got the better of me. I need to get back out and do some sporter weight 600, 1000 yard shooting again.

Anyways what's new in the metallic world?
Nosler doing any better with supply?
Any SKU's still impossible to get?180gr Ballistic Silver Tip been available?

Other mfg's still same? Hornady doing great and others not so much?

Primers doing OK with availability?

Hope everyone had a most glorious of summers so far

I was wondering where you were, glad you're back. Good news that your wife is doing well.

thanks man.. I really appreciate that

How are things going in the bullet world. When I stopped shooting metallic and went trap crazy bullets were very hard to find. Not all but a great amount were M.I.A. and had been for a couple years.
Has this got any better?
How are the primers doing and their availability?

Glad that your wife is doing well. That trap, sheet shotgun shooting can get addictive same as any other shooting sport. Enjoy what you like. As for bullets some are becoming more available depending on the one of choice. Primers especially large rifle or pistol are hit or miss. Small rifle and pistol seem to be readily available, none of them cheap. Same with shotgun components, I guess.

Glad that your wife is doing well. That trap, sheet shotgun shooting can get addictive same as any other shooting sport. Enjoy what you like. As for bullets some are becoming more available depending on the one of choice. Primers especially large rifle or pistol are hit or miss. Small rifle and pistol seem to be readily available, none of them cheap. Same with shotgun components, I guess.
209 primers from the big 4 are really sporadic.
Winchester and Remington have particularly been ghosts.
Thus a lot of shooters are using Cheddite primers.
I was able to score w209's a month ago. My supplier got some in for the first time in years. BIG supplier that would get preferential treatment. No mattet.
I was using Nobel sport 688 209 primers in place of the Winchester's.
I picked up a Hornady 366 and I don't have time to make adjustments switching to different loads.
I load the Winchester super handicap recipe right off the Superhandicap powder bottle.
One load that covers me legally in the rules I can use from 16 yards to 27
There was mixed sentiment out there on subbing a Nobel primer...some say identical formula as Winchester primers...sone say they aren't sure.
I chronographed 5 rounds using Nobel's and 5 rounds using Winchester primers.
Identical velocity.

The WV in your name...had gone right over my head.
I have to travel to WV a lot throughout the year...which region are you in?
My travels take me to Romney. Augusta, Fort Ashby area.

I live in Summers County, Southern part on the New River. I don't any competition but skeet at a local private range. Still have some Win 209s but bought Chedites when they were available for future use.

Back