Berger boolits

Salchi Papa

Beginner
Sep 16, 2024
I’m looking for some edumication on Berger boolits for hunting. I have not used them on game ever but I know Guy and some of the other guys here like them. I hunt from a tree stand in Pennsylvania so shots are not long at all. And yes this is in relation to my 30.06 looking to squeeze more accuracy but I need effectiveness on deer without obliterating meat. I usually hunt with Hornady IL or Nosler partitions but also have Sierra and Speer. I’d mostly be using the Bergers in my 30.06 and prolly my 243w.
Thanks ahead of time you guys have been great

The Bergers are a mixed bag. Very different from most hunting bullets.

They tend to be very accurate. The Elite Hunter and the Classic are easier to get to shoot well than is the VLD. That one can be a bit finicky, though they've shot well for me.

They are a fragmenting bullet...

Therein lies much of the controversy about them. They tend to make a tiny pinprick of an entry wound, then expand and fragment violently once inside the chest cavity. There's not usually an exit wound on deer sized game.

I've seen only instant drops and quick death from them, but others report outcomes that aren't as good. Some comment that the Bergers didn't open up at all for them, or that they "blew up" prematurely. I haven't seen either of those things, but have only taken four mule deer with them.

To me, they seem to be at their best as longish range bullets, out beyond 200 or 300 yards. I've used the 115 VLD's from my 25-06 and the 180 Elite Hunters from my 30-06 on mule deer. Ranges from about 175 yards to a solid 400 yards. They'll penetrate through a shoulder blade, maybe even both shoulder blades. Every one I've recovered is seriously mangled without much weight retained. On the other hand all four of those mule deer just dropped straight down at the hit.

Dropped this fat buck at 350 yards with the 180 gr Elite Hunter from my 30-06 rifle.

I've loaded 140 grain Berger Elite Hunters for my 6.5 Creedmoor this year, for mule deer hunting. It's been quite accurate.

Pros and Cons - and I'm not sure they'd be any more accurate for you than the Partitions, Accubonds or Ballistic Tips.

Regards, Guy

Back