Berger Hybrid, Nosler LRAB, Hornady ELD-X Elk review

salmonchaser":3dwf5u2w said:
Elk can be bullet sponges for sure. They didn't gain that reputation because everyone made bad shots. Hunt elk enough you'll end up tracking one that was well hit with a good bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear that!

Brian and others spend a bunch of time with their guns and build them right. I'd be comfortable laying next to him putting the final ounces on a trigger of a bull at 700.

I do understand and back what E's saying, most folks don't spend the time understanding and learning their equipment to be assassins with their equipment.

My 2 pennies, I'd take a 450 yard shot at any elk all day long with no wind, over my pack rather than a rushed 200 yard shot under miserable conditions any day of the week. I know my strengths and would rather play towards them.

I know nothing of the Bergers but I am intrigued. I thought the hybrid was a target bullet with a hybrid shape?

rodell":35a0evvw said:
I know nothing of the Bergers but I am intrigued. I thought the hybrid was a target bullet with a hybrid shape?

They hybrids were originally designed as target Bullets (all Bergers were originally) the .30 Cal 215gr and the 338 300gr Berger have been used for hunting with great success by various sources, there's pages upon pages of documented kills with information and pictures on a thread on longrangeonly.com. Berger now offers "classic" and "elite" hunting bullets that have the same hybrid ogive as the hybrid target bullets. I believe the only difference between their hunting bullets and target bullets is the jacket thickness is thicker on target bullets.

This is slightly off but here is the exit wound of the antelope shot at 1,034 with the 215 Berger after it went bow to stern. Sorry it's a little distasteful, it is however, real world results.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5,225
Definitely opened up that speed goat! I have witnessed such violent action from Bergers in other instances. Dead is dead, but then, there is messy dead.

I'm going to talk to the Berger Boys at SCI.

I currently shoot 180 TTSX's in my 300 Bee, but ...

rodell":aswwy2jg said:

Would love to hear what they have to say!

rodell":2dsqdc0a said:

Would love to hear what they have to say!

Finally got the recovered ABLR from the cabin, recovered from the cow at 688 yards. Did great.

Attachments

• IMG_3745.JPG
    IMG_3745.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,490
I was interested in trying the ELD-X in my 280 AI, but after reading this thread, i think I will stick to the ABLR. If I get the level of performance from my load as you apparently got from yours, I will indeed be one happy camper.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Group I shot yesterday checking zero before antelope hunting next weekend. Can't beat those 215's

Attachments

• IMG_3768.JPG
    IMG_3768.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,445
Back