Bergers new 170gr Elite Hunter?

Cause the woodliegh has the BC OF A LOAF OF BREAD
Hmmm. Seems like a .513 isn't that bad. Ahead of the .496 the 140 AB carries.
But I doubt too awful many are going to launch those past 500 yds anyhow so a little BC difference shouldn't matter. I guess to each his own. :grin:
It is cool that the 277s are getting some broader choices. Maybe I'll have to get one someday. :grin:

Dwh7271":ytqj6jdv said:
But I doubt too awful many are going to launch those past 500 yds anyhow so a little BC difference shouldn't matter. I guess to each his own. :grin:
It is cool that the 277s are getting some broader choices. Maybe I'll have to get one someday. :grin:

You wouldn't want one Dewey. You'd have to give the rest of yours away :lol:

Wouldn't be no need for em!

I'm fairly good at math but I could never figure out how the 270 could be pinched between the 6.5 and the 7 mm and have such ordinary ballistics. .... and mediocre bullets!...lol!

kraky1":2hf9yupn said:
I'm fairly good at math but I could never figure out how the 270 could be pinched between the 6.5 and the 7 mm and have such ordinary ballistics. .... and mediocre bullets!...lol!

The 1 in 10 twist is likely the culprit but things are changing in that regard at least for custom barrels. Some 7mm's are 1 in 10 but most are faster than that and in the 6.5's a 1 in 9 is considered slow.

Is there such a thing as a factory rifle with the 8 twist barrel already on it????

Dwh7271":gqpqv6yt said:

I was thinking about the barnes original 180gr RN. It only had a BC of about .320. That 180 woodliegh is a pretty long bullet, anybody know if it will stabilize in a 1-10?

For quite a while my dream rifle was..... 7 WSM tikka with a generous magazine and normal tikka throat and a 1:8 twist. But I'm slowly getting over my dream since WSM brass is getting almost impossible to find and likely the future isn't great....lol!

I called MOA the other day and they are getting 3100 fps with the 170 in there 26" bbl 270 wsm .

If you think about it, a lot of the 6.5s were born in a time when heavier bullets were the norm and faster rates of twist were in their DNA. The opposite is true of the .27s and .25s---look at why the .250-3000 was bequeathed the 87-grain bullet and the rate of twist it received. The popular .25s and .270 appeared during a time when velocity was receiving much more emphasis.

Maybe there will be enough market to ensure the survival and continued availability of high-BC .277" bullets, but maybe not. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to bring out an original new cartridge in .277 caliber. Then again, there are a TON of .270s out there and I'm sure many are not being used because it has not been a viable long-range cartridge.

A SAAMI .270 Ackley Improved with a 1in8" twist barrel and an OAL of around 3.450" perhaps.

I finally ordered a box yesterday to try in my 270 Win, have never tried a Berger and thought I should at least try them. I really like the combo of the 150 gr Ballistic Tip and 160 gr Partition I'm currently using but experimenting is a lot of fun too. We will see what all the fuss is about :lol:

I tried the 170 gr Berger yesterday loaded to fit my magazine safely at 3.330", using IMR 7977 I loaded 3 rounds each of 56-58 gr. The gun grouped around 3" for the loads with 58 gr being the best. Obviously the gun doesn't like them at magazine length so next try out will be loaded close to the lands at 3.490" to see if they shoot any better. Berger's twist calculator shows it to be marginally stable at my elevation from a 1 in 9 twist, I'll report back how it shoots loaded out close to the lands.

The bullets shot much better close to the lands with the exact same loads as before. I'm not a fan of shooting bullets that don't fit the action well though, getting a live round out is pretty tough since the tip hangs up on the action but the extractor doesn't want to let go of the rim. The 150 gr Ballistic Tip and 160 gr Partition shoot so well I wonder why I try anything else. Won't stop me from trying the 145 gr ELD-X or 150 gr ABLR though ;)

gerry":9vxnzi5b said:
The bullets shot much better close to the lands with the exact same loads as before. I'm not a fan of shooting bullets that don't fit the action well though, getting a live round out is pretty tough since the tip hangs up on the action but the extractor doesn't want to let go of the rim. The 150 gr Ballistic Tip and 160 gr Partition shoot so well I wonder why I try anything else. Won't stop me from trying the 145 gr ELD-X or 150 gr ABLR though ;)

I'm sure they work but it's hard for me to move from the Nosler 150's. They are wrecking balls in the WSM.

Back