Best all-around medium power cartridge

I would say yes as well. My son's 6mm Remington elk at 350 yards with a 90 gr. E-tip would tend to validate that. Good bullet placement equals dead elk.

Ridgerunner665":2ef0n0jl said:
Rol_P":2ef0n0jl said:
Does a 7x57 pack enough power at 400yds for a bull elk? I looked at a beautiful Ruger #1 in 7x57 at a gun show earlier today. Really beautiful wood and compact rifle..

Just afraid it would not reach out to a 400yd elk with authority.
I would say, yes....

160 AccuBond

It's better than the books show in a modern action.

nvbroncrider":yyxy4ee2 said:
Ridgerunner665":yyxy4ee2 said:
Rol_P":yyxy4ee2 said:
Does a 7x57 pack enough power at 400yds for a bull elk? I looked at a beautiful Ruger #1 in 7x57 at a gun show earlier today. Really beautiful wood and compact rifle..

Just afraid it would not reach out to a 400yd elk with authority.
I would say, yes....

160 AccuBond

It's better than the books show in a modern action.
Yep, it is...both it and the 7mm-08 can give the 280 Rem a run for its money, if all are built on a solid action with a 24" barrel.

And also...the 280 Rem can be hot rodded a bit too.

My vote in this...is the 280 Ackley...and I could write an entire page of reasons why, based on numbers...

It's tissue destruction that results in meat in the freezer and bullet placement that gives you that tissue destruction.
I'm probably the most guilty amongst us for looking at power first but I'm trying to mend my ways and develop a reasonable outlook regarding power, cartridge efficiency, and accuracy. :)

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I never thought that I would say this ( Sorry Sir Jack) :oops: but if it was only one calibre I would be keeping my 280AI!!

Blessings,
Dan

Good comments fellas.

Let's consider a low recoiling choice for the ladies in our life.
That said, I'm still thinking 7-08, 7mm Mauser or 280 Rem.
The 30-06 is hard to dispute but a little more recoil than desired.
What would you suggest?

JD338

7mm-08...in a rifle that isn't a featherweight, but is a Featherweight.

Meaning....a model 70 Featherweight, not a 5 pound Kimber.

Although most of us reload the good thing about the 3006 is no matter where you are.....you can get a box of 3006 ammo.
Brass is pretty much as easy to find too.

JD338":3sm0uqce said:
Good comments fellas.

Let's consider a low recoiling choice for the ladies in our life.
That said, I'm still thinking 7-08, 7mm Mauser or 280 Rem.
The 30-06 is hard to dispute but a little more recoil than desired.
What would you suggest?

JD338
.308win is my next choice.

My lady shoots a 270, and does a fine job of it...she picked the 270 herself...I would have gotten her the 7-08, but she did some research and decided on the 270...you know what happens when a woman makes up her mind, lol.

My point is....maybe let her get her feet wet with some shooting then let her decide...you just provide suitable reading material.

"Letting her choose, when no available choice will be wrong" sorta thing....her making the decision matters, or at least it seemed to with my wife....she really, really likes that rifle, and is always ready and willing to go shoot it.

Ridgerunner665":3rtd4e54 said:
My lady shoots a 270, and does a fine job of it...she picked the 270 herself...I would have gotten her the 7-08, but she did some research and decided on the 270...you know what happens when a woman makes up her mind, lol.

My point is....maybe let her get her feet wet with some shooting then let her decide...you just provide suitable reading material.

"Letting her choose, when no available choice will be wrong" sorta thing....her making the decision matters, or at least it seemed to with my wife....she really, really likes that rifle, and is always ready and willing to go shoot it.
Yes letting them choose, among suitable options, is the best choice. I favor that approach too.

Vince

I just got this note, Dan. Don't know what to make of it.

sask boy":2hcov85l said:
I never thought that I would say this ( Sorry Sir Jack) :oops: but if it was only one calibre I would be keeping my 280AI!!

Blessings,
Dan

You are forgiven, my son. Now, shoot sixty rounds from your Whelen (from the bench and with a 285 grain Swift A-Frame) as penitence.

s/Jack

DrMike":31zyyccz said:
I just got this note, Dan. Don't know what to make of it.

sask boy":31zyyccz said:

Blessings,
Dan

You are forgiven, my son. Now, shoot sixty rounds from your Whelen (from the bench and with a 285 grain Swift A-Frame) as penitence.

s/Jack
That's funny! [emoji2]

Back to the OP. :grin: I've seen quite a few 7-08s in the hands of both ladies and gents that have taken quite a few head of game around here. One of my hunting buddies (now having committed the heinous sin of moving to Saskatchewan) took a lot of moose and mule deer with his 7-08. I don't recall any critters strolling away after he punched them. It would be a good one to get for a lady. However, the 280 or the 270, especially in a Featherweight, would not only accomplish the job for a lady, but do so in style.

30-06 Ackley. It is one of the calibers that really benefits from being an Ackley.

One thing that might matter...or does matter to me...the 7mm's will be better than the 270 for the longer shots...the bullets are better, always have been and the 150 ABLR just took that to a whole new level...again, by the numbers...the difference isn't as big with partitions, but its still there.

Gotta love "the numbers"....

And given that...the 280 might be a little much in terms of recoil, also harder to find these days.

Short of letting her decide...I believe all evidence points to the 7-08.

Ridgerunner I'm gonna have to throw the brown flag on that 7mm bullets being better than .270 bullets at long range. The 150 ABLR has a higher BC in the .277 bullet and the same holds true for the 150 Partition.

Hard to go wrong with the good old 30-06. It's just a classic among classics! I'll always have a 30-06, but I sure can't wait to get my hands on my .280 AI either. :0)

Bruce...the advertised BC of the ABLR's isn't accurate....the 6.5mm 129 ABLR is very close to being accurate...the rest of them are pretty far off (5-12 percent)...the 270 ABLR is the worst of them, and really needs a 1 in 9" twist to be at its best...even then, its way below the advertised BC.

This has been range tested...not computer estimated.

In truth though....all that doesn't really matter at 400 yards...the difference will be a few inches in whatever direction, but not necessarily enough to cause a catastrophic miss.

The 150 ABLR, with a G7 BC of .295, is the level best 7mm bullet there has ever been...by the numbers...its light enough to get going very fast, and with an excellent BC (even at 5 percent less than advertised)...it flies flat and straight.

No "normal" round can fire a heavier, higher BC bullet fast enough to matter...not within the practical range limits of the caliber (800 yards)

The 6.5mm 129 ABLR hit a similar sweet spot...those 2 bullets, Nosler knocked out of the park, in terms of form factor....by the numbers.

The field performance remains to be seen...

Edited to add:
If that 270 ABLR was 140 grains....it would be better....as would the 7mm ABLR at 154 grains, I think.

Back