Best all-around medium power cartridge

For the original question, 280 AI. Don't think the animals can tell the difference anyway. Almost all the thump of a 7 Mag with less powder and recoil.
For the ladies- 7-08. Although I do know some ladies that shoot the big boys very very well, so I kind of flinch writing "for the ladies" :grin:

RR,
Thanks for Litz' chart. Good info.

Bruce Mc":il736yqk said:
come on gents, everyone knows that the king of this class of cartridge is the 7mm rem mag. None of those mentioned come close to the old remmy with a 175 gr Partition for elk and moose and for deer and antelope the 140 is a lazer beam. If you insist on a one size fits all the 160 AccuBond or Partition. But, if you wish to exclude a magnum from this list I would opt for the .270 win with a 150 Partition.

I'm with Bruce.. His thoughts echo'ed what I was going to say! :grin:

A 7mm WSM loaded to 280 specs is EASY... Then, if she ever wanted more, it's there. A 7mm Rem Mag would be the same.. Kind of a nice way to grow into the rifles.

The poor old 270 Winchester gets left behind for some reason, but with 100-160 grain bullets it has all the merits to be a great ladies or full sized behemoths cartridges. I wouldn't overlook a properly twisted 270 to capitalize on the 150 ABLR.. I am betting Sue could take a whole lot of animals and never feel like she missed out..

I have had my 7mm Rem Mag for over 40 years and it does not beat the standard .280 velocity by enough fps to get me excited. In fact the last 2.80 I had was faster with 160 gr Partitions then my 7mm Rem Mag.

There is nothing wrong with the 270 Win and it certainly fits the bill. I am leaning more towards 7mm due to the plethora of bullets offered. Loading down a 7 WSM or 7mm RM to 7-08 levels is certainly a viable option.
The 280 Rem would be just about perfect but its not available in a M70 Super Grade. I didn't realize it was offered in the M70 Featherweight. That would be a cool find so I will start looking.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments and look forward to further dialog.

JD338

I think the Featherweight is a much better rifle for a lady...its not as heavy as the Sporter, but its not so light that it kicks the daylights out of them either....I'm not a fan of super light rifles, never have been...the M70 Featherweight is about perfect though.

I didn't give Jamie a choice on the rifle itself...only the caliber choice...all her options were Featherweights.

truck driver":24zg1azw said:
Jim, good luck on your search for a FWT 280.
Jim that is a nice rifle the Featherweight. Only bad thing I see is it comes with a 22" barrel! I want a 24" barrrel on the .280!

Elkman, I have two .30-06s, one semi auto of a Remington flavor and a model 70. A .30-06 with a 180 gr Partition will fit the bill easily. If I had to choose just one rifle, it could easily be a featherweight 06. But I like the 7mag and .270 better.

The best caliber for medium game up to elk is easy, it's the one you're carrying when the animal steps out into the opening. I'd prefer the 280 with a 160 gr. AccuBond at 2950 fps per Nosler #1 reloading manual. It's very accurate and doesn't kick the bejeebers out me.
The hard part is getting the animal to step out in the opening. :wink:

The BEST is the one being used at the time a deer/antelope/elk/bear/moose arrive to take the "hero" shot with me after a great hunt.

There are so many great rounds it is crazy. Like anything else you have to have as many as possible so you can field test them.

I've seen a lot of bickering in various places, and a lot of it is bickering just to bicker (not saying there's any of that going on here, mind you...). I think we'd all agree that enough bullet in the right place will do the job.

We just all happen to have our own idea about what the ideal delivery system is. We'll NEVER agree on that, so when the snow is packed up to the windows as Vince says, there will be something to talk about besides the snow being packed up to the windows.

In the past I have communicated with Aleena, April, Jamila, and Brooke ( Seans Daughter ) So including myself that makes five women who have wondered out load to each other, why are men always trying to stick us with featherweight rifles. After reading this thread I had to make a post to let you know that I know at least 5 women, which includes myself, that do not like or use featherweight rifles.

to jim's original question, the 30-06, worked for me for years so obviously i am going to chose the 30-06. However, I have recently been using a 7 mmWSM and that cartridge works very well. I would personally also suggest that the 300 H & H would easily dispatch all the game listed in the original post and I find it an easy caliber to shoot.

I am not trying to argue with anyone about the featherweight, as it is possible that we are the only 5 women on earth that dont use them LOL

Bruce Mc
Elkman, I knew "what", I was just "whating" back at ya. I took it as humor.
I never miss an opportunity to point out that the 270 is one of the "other" 06's, in this case with a "smaller", bullet. Glad you understand my humor. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

yukon huntress":2kq20aif said:
In the past I have communicated with Aleena, April, Jamila, and Brooke ( Seans Daughter ) So including myself that makes five women who have wondered out load to each other, why are men always trying to stick us with featherweight rifles. After reading this thread I had to make a post to let you know that I know at least 5 women, which includes myself, that do not like or use featherweight rifles.

to jim's original question, the 30-06, worked for me for years so obviously i am going to chose the 30-06. However, I have recently been using a 7 mmWSM and that cartridge works very well. I would personally also suggest that the 300 H & H would easily dispatch all the game listed in the original post and I find it an easy caliber to shoot.

I am not trying to argue with anyone about the featherweight, as it is possible that we are the only 5 women on earth that dont use them LOL
Cheyenne,

I suspect you are not the only five ladies that don't use a featherweight.

I like your cartridge selection too. I know another lady that shoots a .300 Win Mag and likes it as her all around rifle.

I'm not a lady and I don't dress like one because I ain't got the legs for it. ;) I did however find the .300 Win Mag offensive to shoot. Recoil, and one's perception of it, is subjective. For some reason I don't mind the .338 Win Mag.

Each shooter must find what works for them be they man, woman, or kilt wearing Scotsman, aye.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back