Best all-around medium power cartridge

Of course it should be noted that the Winchester Model 70 "Featherweight" is hardly a lightweight rifle.

It's pretty much a standard weight rifle in today's world. A Model 70 Featherweight in .270 or .30-06 is rated at 7 pounds by Winchester. Without a scope, mounts, rings & sling. Could easily be a 9 pound rifle when carrying it.

Much lighter rifles are readily available.

Regards, Guy

Sande carries, a Winchester model 70, extreme weather, chambered in 30-06. An instant one shot kill on her elk this year, 250 yards, proved she can shoot it as well. As I recall she said she didn't want a wussy gun. She can handle the .375 if she has too, but she thinks the .338 Jarrett recoil is just plain dumb.

Best all-around medium power cartridge...pretty tough to nail down...lots of merit to most of the cartridges listed...but I would say the question rules out "magnums" and leaves us with standard long action or short action cartridges.

My personal favourite is the 280 Rem. But hey, I love the underdog, and don't want what everybody else has. Second favourite is the 6.5.x55 Swedish Mauser. It may not be the best for elk at 400 yards, but it has worked for me. But I also like my 260 and 6.5x284, and want another 6.5 Creedmoor, but in left hand.

Hard to beat the time honoured, field proven 270 and 30-06, and yea I have owned and harvested game with both. They just didn't have that much appeal for me.

Given similar performance to the 30-06, I am looking forward to my new 338 Federal! With more frontal area for added punch. And of course, I love my 358 Win and its proven field performance. But I believe that there are better suited cartridges for antelope than these...but we do not have many speed goats around, so for the game this far north, they will work just fine. For elk at 400 yards, I think there are better cartridges, but so is the thrill and excitement of hunting, and getting closer to the quarry. But hey, I also have 338-06 that is fun to shoot too!

Heaven forbid that I should ever have to be forced to own just one rifle...I would be really hard pressed to find a better choice than the 280 Rem! Best all around choice of bullet = 160 gr AccuBond!

My wife does not shoot but my first wife did and her choice was a Remington 725, .30-06. Nothing wrong with that?

yukon huntress":3ly85kxr said:
In the past I have communicated with Aleena, April, Jamila, and Brooke ( Seans Daughter ) So including myself that makes five women who have wondered out load to each other, why are men always trying to stick us with featherweight rifles.

Certainly a representative group. :shock: The Featherweight (Winchester, of course) is one of my favourite rifles. 'Course, I'm growing old and feeble, which may account for any number of proclivities observed in recent years. :? Whilst I enjoy carrying as little weight as possible in my hands (there is quite enough around my midriff, thank you), I've never been disturbed to tote a rifle that, when fully charged and scoped weighed in the vicinity of nine pounds. To be sure, there have been a few hunts for goat or bear that I wished I had less weight in my hand; but that particular weight was less troublesome than other weight.

Your point does illustrate a truth that is easily overlooked, however. Anyone can learn to handle recoil. A properly fitted stock, decent hearing protection during extended range sessions and learning proper stance and hold allows almost anyone to learn to tame recoil. I don't know that anyone ever embraces a beating; but it can be handled. Those individuals I've observed at the range who were being kicked around by their rifle had a couple of things in common. The most observable problem I have observed has been poor body posture and hold with a rifle that generated (in many instances) moderate to severe recoil. Just looking, almost all were shooting a rifle that appeared to fit them poorly. Then, almost all had either improper hearing protection or they had plugs that were inserted improperly.

Back to the OP. The argument will never be settled as to the "best all-around medium power cartridge." "Best" is simply too subjective. However, what is obvious is that we are living in a time when there are a plethora of great cartridges that will "get 'er done": and most are available in some very accurate rifles.

Oh, yes, Cheyenne--don't make me come up there to bring you a Featherweight so you can shoot a finely crafted rifle! :lol:

DrMike":3nyarfpb said:
Oh, yes, Cheyenne--don't make me come up there to bring you a Featherweight so you can shoot a finely crafted rifle! :lol:

Better that you come up and school me, than Guy, Jim or Scotty. they would want me to take them on a Muskox hunt which is about as much fun as listening to my husband tell someone about this great touchdown he scored in high school, which I have heard 100 times.

Yeah, other than the fact that I've never shot a muskox, there is no particular reason I would want to shoot one. Now, bear ... that always gets my blood pumping. Ask Blkram whether I get somewhat excited about grizzly. Can't imagine what a polar bear would do for me. Heck, I even hyperventilate over blackies! Even two-year-old blackies!

yukon huntress":j6udsvgu said:
DrMike":j6udsvgu said:

Better that you come up and school me, than Guy, Jim or Scotty. they would want me to take them on a Muskox hunt which is about as much fun as listening to my husband tell someone about this great touchdown he scored in high school, which I have heard 100 times.
Only 100 times?
I guess you're Newlyweds huh? :)
My wife heard my stories of athletic prowess 9,753 times by the time we got married. We only dated for two weeks before we got married and I missed one opportunity to tell her the story. I'll have to share it with her tonight.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Elkman":3gp9ialn said:
Bruce Mc
Elkman, I knew "what", I was just "whating" back at ya. I took it as humor.
I never miss an opportunity to point out that the 270 is one of the "other" 06's, in this case with a "smaller", bullet. Glad you understand my humor. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Gotta be careful with that. Sometimes the younger brother kicks everyone elses butt though.
:mrgreen:

Dr Mike

What Cheyenne said in regards to Featherwights (-:

Unlike you Dr Mike, Scotty would hunt Muskox or even Walrus probably---If it is "hunting" count Scotty in. Can not speak to whether or not that is true in regards to the other two gentlemen she mentioned--Guy and Jim.

In our area, it is all about soccer. Every man I ever dated has informed me that he is a better player than Pele (-:

( I hope this was o.k to say, as I remember Fotis telling us not to joke around--if this was wrong please just delete it for me, thank you)

Best Regards

Jamila

Glad we have all came to an agreement that it's the 30-06 after all. It just keeps coming back to that! :mrgreen: (y)

Cheyenne and Jamile,

Count me in, I would love to hunt Muskox!

I'll have a blubber sandwich with Scotty. (note to self, bring garlic salt and pepper).

JD338

JD338":3o32zf8v said:
Cheyenne and Jamile,

Count me in, I would love to hunt Muskox!

I'll have a blubber sandwich with Scotty. (note to self, bring garlic salt and pepper).

JD338

I knew I'd find a partner pretty quick for the hunt!

As the old saying goes, "don't worry about the mule, just load the cart". I can see something special in hunting just about anything depending on the campfire mates that are there.

I'm on my way!
I can't resist good blubber. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The discussion I had with Sue this afternoon has opened up a new possibility..........

1. M70 Super Grade 7x57 Mauser

2. M70 Super Grade 7mm-08

and now.....

3. M48 Heritage 280 AI

What do you fellas think now?

JD338

JD338":252vr8vs said:
The discussion I had with Sue this afternoon has opened up a new possibility..........

1. M70 Super Grade 7x57 Mauser

2. M70 Super Grade 7mm-08

and now.....

3. M48 Heritage 280 AI

What do you fellas think now?

JD338

She is a keeper lol

The Nosler Heritage also comes in 6.5-284, 7mm-08 and 7x57 to cloud the waters a bit more ;)

Back