Best Barrels?

I've got seven Shilen barrels and have to say that I am pleased with all of them. The Pac-Nor I have also shoots well.

The nice thing about top-notch barrels is that they not only shoot well, they clean up easily.

George

New member wants to say hi to everybody, I put a Douglas barrel on a Swift this past winter. I'm pleased with the results, tried Nosler BT's, 50 gr., made my heart flutter, group wise.

transonic :grin:

I have three Pac Nors....
6.5x308 AI.....1/8 twist..long range mama..........1241 yds longest p/dog yet !!
6BR...1/12 twist.........806 yd p/dogs.......
223 AI.........1/12 twist.........733 yd longest p/dog...so far.......
223 AI....1/9 twist on order........
These are all SS Super match barrels.........on Savage s/shot actions....as mentioned, custom barrels shoot well and clean real nice !!

I have two Lothar-Walther barrels. I bought them for 2 404 jeffery projects.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with the Georgia plant manager Woody.
Being the owner of a manufacturing facility, I was very impressed with their techniques and methods.

I have only one custom barrel, and that is on a Montana 1999 action in .358 Win. It is a Montana Rifleman barrel, installed by them and stocked and bedded by Serengeti. I have shot groups as small as .250 (3 shots @100) and sub-half inch groups are normal. Their barrels are hand-lapped and clean up very easily.

I haven't heard of a bad barrel from them yet.

My most recent favorite is Lothar Walther (for hunting rifles).

I have used Shilen in the past with excellent results.

jim

A friend and I have used close to 80 custom barrels over the past 12years or so (we got into doing our own gunsmithing together). We started using Hart barrels. We used probably 30-40 Harts with mixed results. Some were screamers and some were so so (but we were still learning for part of this). Then we used 10-15 Schneider barrels. Most were quite accurate. I didn't care for the rough outside finish though. Since then we have used Lilja barrels almost exclusively. All but 1 of the 30 or so Lilja's have given good to excellent accuracy. BTW good is around 1/2-3/4" and excellent is under 1/2". I have also used a few Pac-Nor (I believe Chris actually learned most of what he knew at start up from Dan Lilja), 1 Krieger, 2 Shilen, 1 Blackstar Accumax (amazingly accurate in a .338 Baer. They switched steels and went to a Accumax II that required specialized reamers so I didn't buy anymore), and 2 or so Douglas barrels.

I just recently built a .375RUM and a .416 Rem Mag on Lilja barrels. The .375 shot a .266 3 shot group with the 4th through 6th shot out of the barrel and the .416 regularly shoots most bullets at or under 1/2".

If I had to pick just one it would be Lilja. Krieger would be a close 2nd based on reputation and the experience of a few friends. Their delivery time can be quite long though.

Nathan

Well, I know they aren't really custom barrels, but Remington's Custom Shop barrels are pretty dang good. I have had two different 385's from them and had great results. My present 375, an Alaskan Wilderness Rifle, has about the best inside finish I have ever seen on a stainless steel barrel. They must have spent a little time hand lapping that or something...it even cleans up Barnes fouling very well.

I've used a quite a number of barrels from various manufacturers and have not really been "stung" by one yet. All have been very accurate, and most are a joy to clean up. Lately I have been using barrels from a Canadian [easier for me to get up here in Canada] by the name of Ted Gaillard. They are very, very good. I have built two long range rifles with his barrels, plus two or three varminters. The groups have been gratifying, to say the least. My 6.5-284 shoots into ¼" if I do my part, as does the 6mm Remington. The others shoot very similarly. I am in the process of building a custom Mountain Rifle in 270 Winchester, and since Ted does not make a 270 barrel, I am going to try one from Montana Rifleman. Pac-Nor has worked well for me, as has Shilen, Hart, McGowan, Krieger, Douglas and Lilja. Never tried a Schneider, but am sure they are quality. Ron Smith out of Alberta is supposed to make a good barrel, too. Everyone will turn out a dud once in a while. Just good if we miss finding that dud for our pet project!! :grin: Regards, Eagleye.

I have a Douglas XXX barrel on a Ruger Tang Safety model, in 240 weatherby magnum. It is a great shooting barrel. Most of the custom's are better than most factory.

Where do I start???? Kreiger, Hart, Lilja, L-W, Kostyshin, Pac Nor, Schneider. All are excellent barrels. I would reccomend checking with some top BR gunsmiths to see what their opinions are. Those guys have a lot riding on their work. And second place aint an option.

I have (4) PacNor bbl. rifles & have nothing but good things to say about their bbl. All of the work was done by my gunsmith, I just ordered blanks, but I have heard good things about their gunsmithing as well.

all we use in our shop is Broughton or Hart. Broughton has a new canted land barrel that has the 1000 yarder buzzing. I have one in 8 twist 22 on a 224 TTH and is is awesome

I'm originally from the home of the original 1000 yard benchrest club and the majority of users that have held the world record and compete on a regular basis have used Hart barrels.

Brad

I am new to custom barrels. I just got my 280 AI in a Hart #5 Flutted 24"
on a M700 action which was blueprinted.

So far, so good! I posted results in another thread.

My next barrel will be a Hart!

Regards,

JD338

Badger Barrels . I have Obermeyer's . Kreigers , shot Hart and Schnieders . Badgers have the most consistedt interior dementions of them all 'Twist rates and land, grove ,bore. At least that is what the Army Marksmanship unit stated when they tested them .

Back