Best bolt action military rifle of all time?

Guy Miner":16v3zyjc said:
1960's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's... Six decades and going strong...

Remington 700.

Yup. We don't often think of it as a military rifle, unless you've been involved with sniping anytime in the past 40 - 50 years.

Is it the best "military bolt action" rifle? Probably not. It's certainly not what we think of, but ya, it just keeps on contributing.

Guy

Guy, aren’t our M40’s technically 40X’s? When I say ours I mean the Marines. I always thought they were built off of them instead of a 700. I know they are technically the same, but just wondering.

Joe, heck yeah, P64 and 98’s.. I’d be just fine if that’s all I ever had to choose from.

Guy Miner":34bxqzat said:
SJB358":34bxqzat said:
I’m voting for the P64 Model 70... The Marine Corps used it in Vietnam for quite awhile...

If that doesn’t count I’ll vote for TBears picks. Those suckers are tanks.

Have always loved that old photo Scotty - and I teach that position as an optional sitting position in my rifle courses. :grin:

Had the honor of meeting GySgt Hathcock long ago, when I was a young Lieutenant. What a man!

Guy

Our old buddy Woodycreek was a pallbearer for the GySgt. Legendary man. Although, we have raised some real good shooters today as well. He was a plank owner though and took the fight to the VietCong. Dig that action.

SJB358":3w341sv5 said:
Guy Miner":3w341sv5 said:
SJB358":3w341sv5 said:
I’m voting for the P64 Model 70... The Marine Corps used it in Vietnam for quite awhile...

If that doesn’t count I’ll vote for TBears picks. Those suckers are tanks.

Have always loved that old photo Scotty - and I teach that position as an optional sitting position in my rifle courses. :grin:

Had the honor of meeting GySgt Hathcock long ago, when I was a young Lieutenant. What a man!

Guy

Our old buddy Woodycreek was a pallbearer for the GySgt. Legendary man. Although, we have raised some real good shooters today as well. He was a plank owner though and took the fight to the VietCong. Dig that action.

The book about Hathcock is one amazing read to hear of all that he did. Quite a man!

gerry I am with you regarding Enfield 1917 :wink:. Here in Saskatchewan when I was a youngster I would say that every kid started with a Enfield or a model 94 in the 30-30 :wink:.
The actions on the Enfield never wore out I remember getting mine and spending hours cleaning the grease out of it because it had been in surplus :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

SJB358":d4p4388y said:
Guy Miner":d4p4388y said:

Remington 700.

Yup. We don't often think of it as a military rifle, unless you've been involved with sniping anytime in the past 40 - 50 years.

Is it the best "military bolt action" rifle? Probably not. It's certainly not what we think of, but ya, it just keeps on contributing.

Guy

Guy, aren’t our M40’s technically 40X’s? When I say ours I mean the Marines. I always thought they were built off of them instead of a 700. I know they are technically the same, but just wondering.

Joe, heck yeah, P64 and 98’s.. I’d be just fine if that’s all I ever had to choose from.
Scotty, Guy, or anyone else interested in knowing how they're built, and the parts used, can find all the answers to those questions and more to how each series of our military sniper rifles were built off the R700 platform here:

https://rifleshooter.com/2015/02/usmc-m ... the-parts/

If interested in reading the full story, and finished product, look down the page and you'll see the highlighted hyperlinks to part(s) 1-5.

My favorite is the Steyr Mannlicher. 6.5x54mm

The strongest action? Without a doubt the ugly Arisaka 99!

longrangehunter":2p2d2waf said:
SJB358":2p2d2waf said:
Guy Miner":2p2d2waf said:

Remington 700.

Guy

Scotty, Guy, or anyone else interested in knowing how they're built, and the parts used, can find all the answers to those questions and more to how each series of our military sniper rifles were built off the R700 platform here:

https://rifleshooter.com/2015/02/usmc-m ... the-parts/

If interested in reading the full story, and finished product, look down the page and you'll see the highlighted hyperlinks to part(s) 1-5.

That was a great read. Thank you Kevin.

FOTIS":1glef6fk said:
My favorite is the Steyr Mannlicher. 6.5x54mm

The strongest action? Without a doubt the ugly Arisaka 99!

Strongest...yes. and no doubt, not pretty. But some guys tried anyway..

I was never fond of the look of the Enfield, myself. CL

I have a 98, 03, a 17 and a couple of 700 Remington's, all have been customized to a certain extent. If your OK with a push feed the 700 is the best and overall the most accurate.
On the controlled feed side, I have seen some of the most beautiful rifles made on a 98 action, and they are beyond nice. But all 98's were not made equal and many knock offs were also created so you have to be wary of what you get. My 98 has been rebarreled so my accuracy is not an indicator of that rifle. The 03's are a beautiful and also have made many outstanding custom rifles. My low number shoots a consistent inch and a half so accuracy is good. My 17, is bigger and heavier than the others but has very nice lines and shots just slightly under an inch with my limited amount of shooting time behind the rifle. Out of the three that I have I would choose the 03, as the best.

bdbrown66":2uzccg14 said:
While not as widespread as the Mauser, the Mannlicher is built like a Swiss watch. Butter-smooth action, with that butterknife bolt handle. The rotary magazine puts no drag on the bolt, and the action will close and lock simply by holding the trigger rearward and swinging the muzzle down. Sweet...

(y) I’d go with this all day long and used to have a M1903 stutzen 6.5x54MSch. Stupidly sold it and now have a M1903 MSch Takedown version, currently being re-barrelled with Krieger as the original is completely shot out and useless. But, the rest of the rifle is absolutely immaculate. Action as slick as you like, soooooper smooth!

But these are sporting rifles.
The military bolt action rifle that’s a real star is the Lee Enfield .303 British many many hundreds of thousands built and used in two world wars in all theatres of fighting, many of them still in service today and even old original and useable ordnance for use in them still around.
Amazing!

Back