Best cold weather 6mm Rem load?

sbsmith

Beginner
Jan 18, 2005
I recently acquired a Rem 788 in 6mm Remington for dog like critters
around Fairbanks. Does anyone have a good accuracy/velocity load with 70 gr Ballistic tips with powders that are not temperature sensitive?
Thanks.

Rl 19 always worked great for me. Also look at RL 22 for the 100 gr loads.

Varget is a very good powder for the 6mm Rem w/ 70gr BT. Work slowly up to 43 gr looking for the best groups.

I used IMR4350 in my 6mm's with great success. I just got one out of the safe and tried IMR 4831 in it .I got fliers and double grouping.One greoup had 4 shots in .487, 3rd shot was a flier that opened the group to about 1 and a 1/4 inches. I have some XMR 4350 on hand and loaded some of that in my ammo. I plan on testing these as soon as possible. Wish me luck.

I have some XMR 4350 on hand and loaded some of that in my ammo. I plan on testing these as soon as possible. Wish me luck.
I would be curious how the XMR-4350 works for you. I tried some years ago in my .243, but was disappointed in the velocities I was getting. Then I bumped it up 1 grain over their maximum with 100 gr bullets and got some very good velocity and accuracy. More recently, I have used it some in my .270WSM and it has provided decent accuracy, but I haven't chronographed the loads. I am experimenting with the last part of my new lot pound of powder with my 6.5x55 tomorrow to see how it shoots with it. I will let you know how it works. Be sure to share your results with your 6mm's. I believe it is a little slower burning than IMR-4350, probably closer to H-4350 in burning rate.

I get very good accuracy with IMR 4064 with the 70 grain pellets. Imr 4350 works good with my 100 grain loads.

Back