Best Factory Ammo for Short Barreled 45 ACP?

147 Grain

Beginner
May 17, 2005
Not sure as to what self defense ammo is best for a 3 1/4" barreled 45 ACP revolver.

I've been considering 230-gr. +P rounds like those from Ranger T @ 990 fps (4" barrel) or Double Taps 230-gr. +P @ 1,010 fps (4" barrel).

Question:

Do you feel that +P 45 ammo needs longer barrels to burn or will I still be a little ahead (with a 3 1/4" barrel) when compared to standard 230-gr. HP ammo?

Thank-you in advance of your advice!

If the round starts faster, it ends up faster, no matter the bbl. length. You may get a lot more muzzle blast & flash though. I like the faster 185gr-200gr bullets in my OM. They still make 900fps from the shorter tube w/o the blast & recoil the smaller pistols can deliver.

I’ve always used Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger 230gr. I stuck with the standard velocity stuff and never looked back. A 3.25" barrel is probably just long enough to get a little more velocity with +P ammo. I wouldn't to caught up in the velocity and be more concerned with reliable expansion, accuracy and recoil recovery. Just my 2 cents.

As general rule of thumb think of +Ps from short bbl as aproaching vels of std press loads from 5" bbl.
At risk of being overly vague, there are many, many very suitable .45 acp loads with substantialy overlapping performance. Unless you are seeking some other factor such as especially deep or shallow penetration, then POI and / or accuracy in your gun should be deciding factor.

First of all the pistol has to feed the ammo flawlessly otherwise you are holding a paperweight.

Second it is a .45 who cares if it expands if you hit what you are aiming / shooting at the bullet will do it's job.

100 fps doesn't matter in performance - it just adds confidence to the shooter.

What conditions are you using this pistol in?? If muzzle flip and flash hinder the shooting performance what has your 100 fps gained??

Something to think about and stir the pot.
Steve D. the HP

Back