Best Lead Free Bullets

hardpan

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
Ok, I know that this is a nosler forum and I load all noslers for my guns as of today. Here is the question
For 300 WBY, best lead free in the 180 gr range
for 7mm, best leadfree in the 160 range
for 257, best leadfree between 110 and 120 grs,

the reason for those weights is that they are my "pet" weights for the 3 rifles listed. I am using ABs in 180gr for the .300, 160 ABs for the 7, and 110 ABs for the 257 and load 100 gr BTs and 120 PTs for the .257.

thanks in advance,
Hardpan.

BTW the bullet restrictions in CA SUCK!

Only your rifle will tell you which unleaded bullet it likes. If you want Nosler ET bullets, you are, for the time being, limited to the following given the desired weights mentioned:
30 cal - 180ET
7mm - 150ET
257 - 100ET

I'm sure Barnes has more of a selection of weights and I think Hornady is playing catchup to Barnes as well.

Richracer1":4bfowtj1 said:
Only your rifle will tell you which unleaded bullet it likes. If you want Nosler ET bullets, you are, for the time being, limited to the following given the desired weights mentioned:
30 cal - 180ET
7mm - 150ET
257 - 100ET

I'm sure Barnes has more of a selection of weights and I think Hornady is playing catchup to Barnes as well.
Hi Rich, Understand the comments about the rifle. I was looking for what each of you actually like in the leadfree. For instance, Barnes has groves in the base of their bullets. Not sure, but they are supposed to supply a more even grip and release. But their BC is lower than the 180 gr etip.

So, before I start buying bullets, I wanted to get the impressions of the group.
thanks
Hardpan

Hardpan,

I've had good success with E-Tip, TSX and more recently with GMX. Different metallurgy and slightly differing design. I have shot a lot of TSX over the years in a variety of cartridges, and they shoot very well. My first foray in the realm of E-Tips indicates that they will shoot equally well in several cartridges that I have tried so far. I've only tried the GMX in a couple of cartridges, but the groups were more than acceptable.

DrMike":8whb3ti1 said:
Hardpan,

I've had good success with E-Tip, TSX and more recently with GMX. Different metallurgy and slightly differing design. I have shot a lot of TSX over the years in a variety of cartridges, and they shoot very well. My first foray in the realm of E-Tips indicates that they will shoot equally well in several cartridges that I have tried so far. I've only tried the GMX in a couple of cartridges, but the groups were more than acceptable.
\
Thanks Dr. Mike,
Have you shot 30 cal / 7mm and 257? I am most concerned about the .257 due to lower density of the non-lead bullets. I have some TSX that I am loading, and will get some etips for the .300 as well
Best
Hardpan

358 (200, 225I) in 358, 35 Whelen and 350 RM
8 mm (200 TSX) in 325 WSM
30 cal. (165, 168 and 180 grain TSX) in 300 WSM and/or 30-06, (150 and 165 grain GMX) in 30-06
7mm (140 grain and 160 grain TSX) in 7mm RM
270 cal (130 grain E-Tip) in 270 WSM
I have not loaded either the ETip or the TSX in my 257 Bob, yet. It is on my "to do" list.

All that I have shot have performed acceptably; most, exceptionally.

DrMike":3241ecoa said:
358 (200, 225I) in 358, 35 Whelen and 350 RM
8 mm (200 TSX) in 325 WSM
30 cal. (165, 168 and 180 grain TSX) in 300 WSM and/or 30-06, (150 and 165 grain GMX) in 30-06
7mm (140 grain and 160 grain TSX) in 7mm RM
270 cal (130 grain E-Tip) in 270 WSM
I have not loaded either the ETip or the TSX in my 257 Bob, yet. It is on my "to do" list.

All that I have shot have performed acceptably; most, exceptionally.
Yeah, I would call you an expert. Thanks for the information!
Hardpan

my .02

You really need to remeber that these unleaded bullets are a whole nother beast and you really cant expect them to work well just by swapping bullets. And just dont mean point of impact I mean they gun may love 180 gr ABs but the 180 etip may be too long as it needs more mass to create equal weight. So you may need to drop one weight in each bullet to accomplish this.

But dropping down in weight really is not that bad as upon impact unleaded bullets historically retain more weight so instead of sheddin 50% of their weight on impact you keep 98% all the way through so 180 gr bt that retains half passes with 90 grs or the 168 gr etip passes with 160 grs which is better?

I also think you get more velocity from barnes due to the grooves in the bottom part of the bullet as I believe they wee dsigned to help relieve pressure so you can increase spped.

My 257 wby gets about 3700 fps with 100 gr ttsx and will retain more weight than the 110 ab but I still cant decide which to use as they both shot well out of my rifle

I realize also that this is a Nosler forum, but let's face it Barnes has a big head start in making lead-free bullets. I too live in CA and have been forced to search for new loads for my rifles. I would still be shooting Nosler Partitions if I could, but I have to say, I have had great success with the Barnes TSX and Tipped TSX bullets.

I just went to New Mexico last week and shot an antelope with my 25-06 using the 80 grain Barnes Tipped TSX. My dad went on the hunt with me and used the 100 grain Barnes Tipped TSX in his .257 Wby Mag. We both shot great bucks and the bullet performance could not have been better. Both of the antelope just dropped in their tracks, never taking a step. Both shots were at around 300 yards after good stalks on the animals.

We have had good results with the TSX bullets on black bears, wild hogs, coyotes, deer, antelope, etc. I shot clear through a huge old wild boar last year using the 100 grain TSX in my 25-06.

Accuracy has generally been very good, although my 7-08 Remington took a lot of fooling around when shooting the 120 TSX to find a load that shot well. On the other hand, the first day I tried the 168 TSX in my 300 Wby Mag I shot a 0.27 inch group.

I currently load the following Barnes bullets:

25-06 - 80 and 100 grain Tipped TSX
270WSM- 110 grain Tipped TSX
7-08- 120 grain TSX
7mm Wby mag- 160 grain TSX
300 WSM- 168 grain TSX
300 Wby Mag-168 grain TSX
338 Win Mag -210 grain Tipped TSX
375 H&H-270 grain TSX
416 Rigby- 400 grain TSX and Banded Solids

Thanks, Rich NTIS;
Only thing is that for me the velocities are a bit down with the same charge... IE the TSX is a bit slower. But, as I am a big time nosler guy, I am ordering the e-tips in each caliber and will work up new loads... Starting with the .300 WBY and the 7mm WBY.

Again thanks,
Hardpan

Back