Best powder for the .308 and .300 Savage?

Gunner46":2b950450 said:
I can't even begin to calculate the # of powders I tried and wound up just giving away to the next chump trying to find 'The One".

I got good accuracy from 4064 in my 308 carbine, but velocity was always Ho-Hum. RL-15 was consistently inconsistent until I found the Node, then it shined bright as hell. All in all, I'd concentrate around Varget first, then 4320.

You can waste a lot of time and $$ dancing around 'The One' day dream, but one of those two will get you as close to where it's You that makes the difference in whether it's a hit, or miss.
I have a 22" barrel on my Savage 99C in .308, is that long enough you think for 4064 in it?
The Savage 99 EG in .300 Savage has a 24" barrel.
Thank you for the advice Gunner46!
Appreciate it.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

RL-15 and 4064 are very comparable, and my inventory of 4064 as well as the Savage has been gone for several years now. I switched over to RL-15 and Varget, when I bought my tactical, and both are stellar performers. I am also down to 4 primary powders for all of my loading which reduces stress in continually searching for powder, especially during shortages. I would try the custom comps in both rifles as I have had very good luck with accuracy using them. I have a 18.5 inch barrel on the tactical.

Elkman":3cjvrbku said:
RL-15 and 4064 are very comparable, and my inventory of 4064 as well as the Savage has been gone for several years now. I switched over to RL-15 and Varget, when I bought my tactical, and both are stellar performers. I am also down to 4 primary powders for all of my loading which reduces stress in continually searching for powder, especially during shortages. I would try the custom comps in both rifles as I have had very good luck with accuracy using them. I have a 18.5 inch barrel on the tactical.
Elkman,

I was thinking the same way you are as to powder compatability and trying to ease the choice because of powder shortages and using one or 2 for several cartridges.

We're on the same page, I believe

Elkman,

I was thinking the same way you are as to powder compatability and trying to ease the choice because of powder shortages and using one or 2 for several cartridges.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk[/quote]

This is what I like about 4064. Through the last shortage, it was much more available than Varget or R15. It's been around a long time, so data is available for almost any cartridge/bullet for which it is suitable, and that is a wide range.

If you're chasing top velocity, or splitting hairs on groups, it may not get you there, one powder or another may give a slight edge. If you want to kill deer, just add some Hornady or Speer 150 grain soft points, and 4064 will get it done.

In testament to it's versatility, I use it in 5.56 Nato, 6.5x50 Japanese, 6.5x55 Swedish, .300 Savage, .308 Win, 30-06 (both slightly reduced M1 and full power hunting loads), 7,5x55mm Swiss, and 7.62x54R. It provides at least acceptable accuracy and velocity in all of the above.

Polaris":2t1mgsxx said:
Elkman,

This is what I like about 4064. Through the last shortage, it was much more available than Varget or R15. It's been around a long time, so data is available for almost any cartridge/bullet for which it is suitable, and that is a wide range.

If you're chasing top velocity, or splitting hairs on groups, it may not get you there, one powder or another may give a slight edge. If you want to kill deer, just add some Hornady or Speer 150 grain soft points, and 4064 will get it done.

In testament to it's versatility, I use it in 5.56 Nato, 6.5x50 Japanese, 6.5x55 Swedish, .300 Savage, .308 Win, 30-06 (both slightly reduced M1 and full power hunting loads), 7,5x55mm Swiss, and 7.62x54R. It provides at least acceptable accuracy and velocity in all of the above.[/quote]I'm shooting Savage 99's, so I won't expect pinpoint accuracy. If I can get 1" groups, I'd be a happy man. I think 1.5" is pretty much the norm for either.
I think 4064 will work fine for both, and won't worry about throttling them all the way, either.

The .308 and .300 Savage I have are both Savage 99's. If I can get 1 inch groups from them, I will be really happy. They're not tack drivers, but have very acceptable minute of deer capability in having 1.5 inch groups.
If I could could acceptable accuracy along with acceptable velocities, then I'm satisfied.
The Savage 99C in .308 has a 22 inch barrel. The Savage 99 EG in .300 Savage has a 24 inch barrel. Both with 1 in 12 inch rifling twist I believe.

IMR 4064 is excellent in the 308 Win.
The new IMR 4166 should also be excellent.

Varget very similar to IMR 4064.

The newer Reloader 15 excellent in the 308 Win.

1/12 twist suggest good 150gr quality construction bullets.

165gr at the most with 1/12 for best results like Nosler Part.
Good load IMR 4064 @ 41.0 to 42.0 accurate load for lever .

Most 99 savages are known for great woods guns.......

Alaska":35cob7bh said:
IMR 4064 is excellent in the 308 Win.
The new IMR 4166 should also be excellent.

Varget very similar to IMR 4064.

The newer Reloader 15 excellent in the 308 Win.

1/12 twist suggest good 150gr quality construction bullets.

165gr at the most with 1/12 for best results like Nosler Part.
Good load IMR 4064 @ 41.0 to 42.0 accurate load for lever .

Most 99 savages are known for great woods guns.......
Thank you Alaska!
I recently saw Reloder 15 was a good powder for both the .308 and .300 Savage.
I will look into 4166.
I would think Varget would be a good choice in both as well.

mjcmichigan":388e837q said:
mjcmichigan":388e837q said:
I got great results with leverlution in 303 Savage. With the 300 Savage you have a little more case so you could try that. With the 303, I’m getting a 209 extra fps with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read this article. Sounds like you could consider super performance.
http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?p=1026

I've used LVR in the 300 Savage as well, and had great results, using the above article.

Dr. Vette":2mfwn5lh said:
mjcmichigan":2mfwn5lh said:
mjcmichigan":2mfwn5lh said:
I got great results with leverlution in 303 Savage. With the 300 Savage you have a little more case so you could try that. With the 303, I’m getting a 209 extra fps with it.

Read this article. Sounds like you could consider super performance.
http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?p=1026

I've used LVR in the 300 Savage as well, and had great results, using the above article.
Awesome!
Thanks a bunch Dr.Vette!
Advice taken very well!

Back