Big 338 Win Mag Reloading Issue

Stevesdl

Beginner
Feb 15, 2010
Okay first the good news: First time use and I didn't shoot my chrony (even at exatly 15 feet). All 6 rounds measured within 5 fps of each other, with the exception of 1 with a deviation of 7 fps. I now can really appreciate everyone's advice to "work up" and I believe it to be an absolute must to own and use a chrony first reloads. (Sadly I did not.)

I have the RCBS 5-0-5 scale. The scale is balanced and balance verified every 15 reloads. (It has never need adjusting once in a specific position on my bench)
I am using RL 19, CCI 450 and 225 AB
My cleaned prep cases are at 2.494 +- .002
Reloaded at 3.334 +- .002
There is no sign of excessive pressure on the case or spent primers. (3rd time use)

In an earlier post I mentioned that my 74 grain load comes up to the bottom of the neck. The Nosler 6 does confirm this is a compressed load. Even the 72 grain load is a compressed load. If we look at our Nosler 6 Reloading Guide on page 475, I am speaking of the measurement at 2.170. Also in an earlier post I mentioned that my action froze 2 times on me after a number of 74 grain but this was after about 35 rounds so the rifle might have had a heat issue as well? I retested with 72, 72.5 ans 73. All were fine with no lockups.

I went back out today with a box of 73 grain loads. Setup for three rounds with the chrony at exactly 12 feet. The muzzle velocity was all within 4 fps. ....but I saw something that appeared not right so I set the chrony at exaclty 15. Again the muzzle velocity was all within 5 fps for two rounds and 7 fps for the last one. ....I stopped here.!!!!!! Something was wrong!! The accuracy was 3" groups but at this point I did not care. :(

Here is the Big Issue - my muzzle velocity is 3198 FPS

I have been beyond careful working up my reloads so as soon as I got home, I made sure the scale's last time use was at 73 grains and it was. I made sure the scale was exactly perfectly balanced and it was. I pulled 4 cases from different positions in the boxes that I have reloaded and carefully making sure I did not spill any powder, measured each one at a time. I could not have gotten 73 grains mesured any more perfectly for each one.

Help! I am very confused.
Is it that I should only use 70 grains to start with and chrony that for FPS. If so, what FPS should I be shooting for with the 225 AB matched with accuracy?

I wanted to state everything I thought was pertinent so sorry for the long post.

Thanks
Steve

Are you TOTALLY sure the chrony was totally opened? If not, even a little bit, it will register higher speeds because the distance between the eyes is shorter. Believe me if you're getting that speed from your 338 Win and that bullet you would require a front-end loader to lift your bolt!

Are you TOTALLY sure the chrony was totally opened? If not, even a little bit, it will register higher speeds because the distance between the eyes is shorter. Believe me if you're getting that speed from your 338 Win and that bullet you would require a front-end loader to lift your bolt!

POP is absolutely correct. Either the Chrony was not fully extended, or it needs to be recalibrated by the factory. Consequently, did you have the sunshades in place?

um....

The shades were on.

..if 180 degrees is completely flat and if it was at 175 degrees, would that make the difference? I mean if it was not perfectly flat, it was so very close. The stand holding it might have kept the back end up as much as the thickness of a popsicle stick laying flat.

..this is a bummer; I guess aside from sending the unit in is to take it out once again and test fire. This is the one time I don't think it was the chrono not being flat... but I wont dismiss it till I test this out again Friday or Saturday.

Thanks guys

By flat we mean it must be OPEN all the way. If it's still closed 5 degrees, yes, that will make a huge difference. The more the chrony is closed, the closer the skyscreen are together....

225 gr bullet at 3200....that too fast even for a hotroder like me..

Steve, I don't think your chrony was opened up all the way buddy. The others are right on. It needs to be fully open. A good way to check a chrony is to use a 22LR or something else of known speed, and shoot it through the chrony.

3198 out of a 225gr bullet in the 338WM, well man, that is an awesome feat and Pop is right, you would need something pretty heavy duty to get that bolt unlocked!

Scotty

..Well you guys have the "every day" experience and have always been right every single time so this has to be it. I was so pumped going to the range and when I got those results I was deflated for the rest of the night. Today is a new day.

Boy you can sure tell I am a newbie reloader. :):)
Thanks Everyone!
I will find out either today or tomorrow.
Excellent thought on the 22LR Scotty! I will take one with me. (I was hoping you would come aboard and comment!)
Steve

First of all Congrats on all your loads being so consistant. The chrony being opened all the way is always a concern of mine. I don't like how they open and over-lap. So much to the point I've permanently attached mine to the tri-pod. it's cumbersom, but I've attached mine to one of the yellow light stands from home depot
Looking forward to hear what you foun out

Just try it again. I have gotten 3200 fps in a 22" barrel 308 Norma mag with 72 gr H4831 and 200 grain partitions from an unopened----all the way--- chrony.

Stevesdl":etxb1rzf said:
..Well you guys have the "every day" experience and have always been right every single time so this has to be it. I was so pumped going to the range and when I got those results I was deflated for the rest of the night. Today is a new day.

Boy you can sure tell I am a newbie reloader. :):)
Thanks Everyone!
I will find out either today or tomorrow.
Excellent thought on the 22LR Scotty! I will take one with me. (I was hoping you would come aboard and comment!)
Steve

No sweat buddy! That is what we are here for. That is why this is the best place to be as a hunter/reloader/shooter! Other than actually out in the field slaying game! Scotty

Stevesdl

I agree with the others, make sure the Chrony is fully opened. Your results are hot 338 RUM loads!

Let us know what you find, we are here to help.

JD338

First and most important and I mean this. You guys are awesome! You are also rocket scientists. Just a continuous thanks.

All day yesterday and today I was begging to be Friday afternoon so I could get out to the range. :) It has arrived.

Sure enough, when you unfold the Chrony, it has a little soft kink. That keeps it bent just barely but as ya'll stated that would do it. I made sure it was perfectly flat and layed out all the way.

All 73 grain 225 ABs
Chrony at 15 ft

25 rounds between 2907 fps and 2941. Does this sound better and more accurate or is this pretty hot for 73 grns of RL19?

This is at 100 yds sight-in.
I am using a Limbs de-resonator and still playing with it for where on the barrel it should seat. At 1 3/4" from the forestock I shot 2 1 1/4" groups at the end of the day and with one group, 2 bullets in one hole. In the last group 2 bullets touching each other. :):):) (The last bullet of the last group was way off but I count that as "me error" as I was getting too excited at the end of the day.

I will go out in the next few days and start sighting this in to hit the fly of the back of another fly at 200 yds and poist targets. :):):)

Thanks everyone
Steve

25 rounds between 2907 fps and 2941. Does this sound better and more accurate or is this pretty hot for 73 grns of RL19?

Ok, that sounds more like it! :grin:

IMO that's the sweet spot for the 225gr AB. It should stack up the Elk like cord wood.

Yeah, you sound like you are in there now Steve! I get right around 2890 or so out of mine, so you look pretty good! Your groups sound like they are shaping up pretty well also. Nothing wrong at all with 1.25" groups! That is excellent. Sounds like you are right on the money. Scotty

With that sort of extreme spread, your loading technique sounds excellent.

Cha-Ching...... It sounds like you're there.

Now all it is, is a little trigger time before season arives.......

What brass are U using?

I use Winchester and use 78.0 of Reloader 19 with the 225gr AB and Fed 215GM primers for 2950 FPS in a factory Win 70.

WW Brass has alot more capacity!

I have a Weatherby Vangaurd 338 Win MAg and I luv it.
Have been using Federal brass but just bought Nosler brass (I have been told by a few that the Winchester brass is also a good candidate.

As correctly discerned from experts here on this site. I definitely had a headspace issue. This will be corrected on this first reload of Nosler brass. I am going to start at 70 grains and see what the chrono says before reloading anything else.

RL 19 - 73 grains will get me what you are seeing at 76 grains
CCI 250s
Nosler AB 225

I just recieved my first new box of Nosler custom brass. Will test this weekend.
That Win 70 is a nice rifle :)
Thanks
Steve

U have too dupicate this load ezactly

WW Brass
fed 215GM primer
225gr Hornady 225 Speer Granslam 225 AccuBond
all will work for 2950 FPS with RL 19 @ 78.0
but this is a MAX load that duplicates the High Energy Loads by Federal and Hornady

Back