Big Money will hurt Hunting

I'm in KS and was curious about this so I looked it up. I saw a Midwest Hunting Adventures in Missouri and a Midwest Whitetail Adventures in Clay Center KS was it one of those? I didn't see either showing as unreal of bucks as the pic you posted with a quick look. I know I haven't seen bucks like that on our place in KS they are doing something crazy to get antlers like that. Was it a high fence hunt?

I'm not interested in ever doing a hunt like that, just wondering who in KS is doing that. That looks more like some of the Texas high fence stuff I've seen advertised where deer are bred, contained, fed, and supplemented. I wasn't aware of any of that in KS yet but it could sure be happening and I hadn't heard about it.

I've hunted KS my whole life and have taken some nice whitetail but none that will gross 200". With the flat ground and roads around every section in a lot of KS a heck of a lot of deer get shot and hauled off by road hunters. Without a high fence managing a deal like that would be a heck of an undertaking. Roads aren't quite that thick where I hunt and it still happens. I once found a 21" wide 11pt buck down the road from my house while still hunting a creek one of my first years of hunting. He has been shot 3x by someone spotlighting off the road and went to the creek before dying. He was still warm so he must have been shot not long before daylight. A few years later I got spotlighted as I walked into my stand, I have never wanted to put a bullet through a spotlight so bad in my life but I refrained and ended up running back to my truck and getting close enough to write down their tag # and call them in.

KS has definitely been taken over by the foodplots, feeding, and supplementing. I was very slow to adopt those tactics myself but eventually had to when all the neighbors were doing it. It really never seemed to be that great of an advantage to me because everyone around me was doing it by the time I had to start. Maybe they saw some advantage by doing it early because before I started our fields and oak timbers that used to hold deer were no longer doing so by hunting season. Now that everyone is running buffets for the deer they seem to be spread out a lot like they were when nobody did food plots or feeders. All the added pressure from people in and out of the deer areas checking cameras, filling feeders, plus hunting has made the deer more nocturnal and in a lot of ways harder to hunt. I had to put in improved food sources just to have deer staying on our place instead of all being somewhere else by gun season. I still take a lot of my deer by glassing and intercepting them rather than stand hunting and watching feed. Knowing the terrain and travel patterns and sitting back with glass has worked better than intruding and educating them for me. I've learned those mature bucks that see as much pressure as they do in my area pattern hunters the same as hunters pattern them. Sometimes when the weather won't cooperate to get anything moving during daylight I use a still hunting/glassing hybrid method later in the season and try to get a buck snuck up on or jumped within range. Sometimes it even works.

I don't like the "new" hunting as well as I did the old methods but it is what it is. It isn't going to change so I had to. I try to be unpredictable using a mix of methods to catch up to a buck. I look forward to my DIY western hunts a lot more than deer season around home anymore. I get to see a lot of new and beautiful country and when I glass up a critter I can usually go after him.

Hodgeman, Charles and John. thank you, I was hoping I wasn't the only one who "saw" the difference.

Dr Mike and mcseal2

with apologizes to Earle for going a bit off subject. In the early 1950;s my father took us to the "flint hills" of Kansas to prairie chicken hunt with a friend of his. I remember prairie chickens, deer, quail, cattle and miles and miles of beautiful country with no fences. Is that area still there today or did it get sub-divided.

l

It is still there. There are more houses and more absentee land owners than there used to be, but it's still ranch country. I live in that area. It's got fences and way less quail than the old days but the chickens are still doing ok as are the deer and cattle. Lots more turkeys than there used to be.

April, to clarify I myself wasn't talking about paying for the right or priviledge of hunting a free ranging animal in the wild regardless of what continent it is on. I would love to someday hunt for and shoot a moose.

I never got close enough to doing it to look into the particulars but I don't imagine I could go on such an adventure without paying for the right to hunt a certain territory, or paying a guide, or both.

Big difference between that and what has become typical in the white tail world. Lease up a big farm, do everything possible to stimulate and grow antlers, put out 200 game cameras so they can name every deer on the property, and sit in a box blind until the deer their looking for walks up to the pre-designed and carefully planned dinner table that was set for them, that nobody but who spends the money has access to.

If somebody has the money and thoroughly enjoys that type of shooting game, have at it. Who am I to say it's not fun for them, or to tell them how to spend their money, but don't expect anybody to be fooled that it involved any kind of hunting skill or be impressed with the results.

Mcseal,
Yea they got the big lodge over at Clay Center, here is ONE days hunting , pic from last fallIMG_2572.PNG
And here are some of what was taken!IMG_2571.PNG
We hunted out of Aurora bout 10 miles away, they have thousands of acres leased all
Around there. The whisper in Aurora is they sold those 4 / 200" bucks for $60,000!!
It's actually the 190" bucks that bring 10k :shock:

April,

I went to school in the Flint Hills. In those days, the prairie grasses still came up to a horses belly in many areas. I remember lots of cattle, prairie chickens and quail. However, I never saw a deer until sometime around 1972. That was on the edge of the Flint Hills. Seems a shame that I never hunted my natal state. Before I check out, I probably should attempt to correct that.

I don't begrudge those who pay the big bucks for places like that. If legal then they have the right and if it makes them happy then I'm more than good with it. Fact is I do things that some may not do and I'm of the opinion that we should all support the next guy's rights to do as they wish................ if legal.

Anyway, just my opinion.

I had no idea they had a deal like that at Clay Center. I can see how they could do it with 30,000 acres of river bottom and the ability to regulate pressure.

DrMike":22uzeevn said:
April,

I went to school in the Flint Hills. In those days, the prairie grasses still came up to a horses belly in many areas. I remember lots of cattle, prairie chickens and quail. However, I never saw a deer until sometime around 1972. That was on the edge of the Flint Hills. Seems a shame that I never hunted my natal state. Before I check out, I probably should attempt to correct that.

They still have grass like that in a lot of areas, helped a neighbor burn a section of it today. A lot of the Flint Hills still gets burned every spring to get rid of the old growth and get the new stuff a good start. The Flint Hills would be all trees if not for the controlled burns every 1-3 years in most pastures. Deer were introduced in the 60's I think, I'm not sure exactly when it was.

Back