Bigger than the .35 Whelen?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Based on the good old .30-06 case... What's bigger than the .35 Whelen? Anybody work with something bigger? Any advantage or are we asking too much of the good old .30-06 case if we start necking it up to say .375" or so?

I've heard of the .375 Whelen, it's around but not very common. The conventional wisdom says that necking the '06 up any larger makes headspacing on the shoulder problematic.

Well, I'm kind of hoping somebody weighs in with that 9.3 or .366 option & experience...

Or .375... I've read a little about something called the .375 Scoville or something like that.

Guy Miner":1olvgy80 said:
Based on the good old .30-06 case... What's bigger than the .35 Whelen? Anybody work with something bigger? Any advantage or are we asking too much of the good old .30-06 case if we start necking it up to say .375" or so?

A shooting buddy of mine had a barrel made up in the .375Whelen imp. for his Sauer 200. With a 23" barrel the difference vs a H&H was so small a la 40 m/sec with a 300grain bullet, it became a succes.

Try to browse .411Hawk or z-hat. There would something of interests.

There is a 400 Whelen, too. Very "stout" looking round. I thought about going that route instead of the 35, but the 35 will be a great match for my hunting.

According to QuickLOAD, the .375 Whelen is capable of 2600 fps with a 260-grain pill if you push the pressure up to around 60,000 psi.

There was more then a few who did, but after .400" head space becomes an issue. Most notable are the Hawk/Scovill rounds developed, but the Brown/Whelen 375 pre-dated those versions. But honesty I think the standard 35 whelen works better.

Any of the 9.3mm calibers will give you great power with moderately sized cases and loads. My 9.3x74R uses about 62 grains of IMR 4350 to push a 276 Partition at almost 2500 fps! The 9.3x62 Mauser will give you the same results, more or less.

Guy, your ears must have been ringing as I've read alot of Elmer's books and he LOVED the 400 Whelen. There is a fellow over at. 24HCF that has one and has been very successful with it. 350's at around. 2350 or so. Yeah, I'm thinking if and when I come across a Model 70 30/06-270, it'll get picked for a 400 Whelen. I just can't believe that we hand loaders would have much trouble making the 400 work well.

I also have the Hawk reloading manual and their 411 Hawk is a touch better, but to be honest, that 400 Whelrn would be a hoot and would take it as a challenge to make it work. It really does have alot going for it and you can't beat the price of 30-06 cases.

Man, another gear turning in my brain housing group! Yeah, this should be the next step for our Whelen Owners Group around here. If the the 35 is good, 400 is even better!

EK and a few others talked about the headspace issues, but I'll have to reread them. Either way, I'm thinking this'll be a cool project for the future and I believe it would make a grand 300 yard and under rifle for the biggest of animals. Give me a good excuse to try some of them Woodleighs, unless Nosler gives me something!

My concern with the .400 Whelen would be headspace with only .009 inches on each shoulder to set headspace from a partially formed die full length resizing. Just a challenge?

400WhelenCast_zps452922f0.jpg

It LOOKS tricky, but how difficult can it be? It seems to me that if your sizing die is a decent match to your rifle's chamber then careful die adjustment would be all you need to rock and roll. On the other hand, I've never tried this one so what do I know?

I'm thinking the same as you Charlie, but I would think any of us on here could easily make it work. A decent headspace gauge and a little time adjusting the die and it should be good to go.

We deal with .0015-.002" pretty often, so I would think with some careful work, we would have it set up correct. Maybe a little bit of a false shoulder to get it fireformed perfect would assist right outta the gate?

375 Whelen, 400 Whelen and 411 Hawk are all good ones.

JD338

You guys sure can put together plans in a hurry 8). If someone could shoot & play with all the brothers and sisters of the -06 it would almost be a full time job :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

My buddy just had a .400 Whelen built on a 1903 action I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Taylor, I would LOVE to see those pictures. The more I think about it, the more I'd like one. Talk about an elk/moose thumper. Pretty sure JES could turn any decent 30-06 into a 400 Whelen pretty easy. I think they run about 250-300. For a cut rifled barrel, can't hardly beat that price. I would be beside myself if I could have one built on a Pre 64.

I am almost thinking that if I was going to do a .400 caliber rifle, I would go for a .400 WSM. Decent shoulders for headspacing, decent capacity for powder to get the 2400 fps needed for Africa. Just thinking out load.

I like where your heads at Charlie! That might be cool as well. A little more to think about.

Back