Bigger than the .35 Whelen?

I have a 9.3x74R with which I can push a 286 gr bullet at about 2500 fps. That is a lot of power, take my word for it. With 62 grains of IMR 4350, it is a thumper!

As has been stated headspace is the big issue once you get to those diameters. Heck my 338-06AI doesn't have much of a shoulder to headspace on.

SJB358":19m5v4vj said:
Taylor, I would LOVE to see those pictures. The more I think about it, the more I'd like one. Talk about an elk/moose thumper. Pretty sure JES could turn any decent 30-06 into a 400 Whelen pretty easy. I think they run about 250-300. For a cut rifled barrel, can't hardly beat that price. I would be beside myself if I could have one built on a Pre 64.

Well let me know when you want to re-bore one I've got a great candidate for you. 1903A3 .338-06 24" Lilja fluted barrel since I've built my other .338-06 this one is just going to sit in the safe. I've thought about either the .375 or .400 Whelen but can't for the life of me figure out what I'd do with it.

I've got two .35 Whelen's, .375 Ruger, and .45-70 Encore just trying to figure the logistics of adding a .400 with todays component difficulties is a PITA. However at the speeds you'll get from a .400 it might be time to start collecting wheel weights and a couple of different moulds. I can't imagine you'd ever push an alloy bullet too hard with that cartridge. ;)

I have always been interested in and intrigued by the .405 Winchester. The Model 70 (pre 64) had a few rifles chambered for the .405, in addition to the Model 1895's.

Yeah, it is almost like a challenge now. It won't happen for awhile, but I will start with looking for something that would be a good donor for it. Plus, I wanna read up on the actual loading of it a little more. Seems like there are some pretty good bullets out there too, so I don't think that'll be too much of a problem.

Back