Bison Hunt

Vapor

Beginner
Aug 13, 2011
Bison hunt scheduled in August 2012.
Plan to use 200 grain AccuBond with 300 Winchester Magnum Remington 700SS 5R. 2859fps Reloder 22 70.5 grains. Group size 0.43417" @100

Has anyone else hunted Bison with this setup?

Shot placement and maximum shot distance? Figure under 300 yards

Recommendations?

Thanks

Vapor,

Your setup will work. I like as much mass and as much frontal area as possible on bison. I've taken them down with a .358 and 250 grain Hornady. However, I don't recommend that setup. I'd recommend something with more velocity (i.e., more energy). Your 300 WM with a 200 grain with a 200 grain AB will work very well. Shot placement is the key.

DrMike":2igwvwk4 said:
Vapor,

Your setup will work. I like as much mass and as much frontal area as possible on bison. I've taken them down with a .358 and 250 grain Hornady. However, I don't recommend that setup. I'd recommend something with more velocity (i.e., more energy). Your 300 WM with a 200 grain with a 200 grain AB will work very well. Shot placement is the key.

+1 I agree with DrMike on all points. The 340 WBY worked perfectly, but so will your set up. I am still waiting for the opportunity to hunt them with a Pennsylvania Long Rifle,

Vapor - that should be one heck of a cool hunt. I'd like to do it myself someday.

Let us know how it goes please!

vapor,

That is going to be an awesome hunt for sure.

The 200 gr AB from your 300 Win Mag should do the trick for you out beyond 300 yds. The lungs are huge! Head shots are smaller and your rifle's accuracy, conditions and your skill will determine what your max range will be.

Good luck on your hunt and post some pictures for us.

JD338

DrMike":3opgchwn said:
Vapor,

Lots of practice this summer on steel targets should help my prescsion. May need to thread a needle.

Vapor":ip7ivqay said:
Bison hunt scheduled in August 2012.
Plan to use 200 grain AccuBond with 300 Winchester Magnum Remington 700SS 5R. 2859fps Reloder 22 70.5 grains. Group size 0.43417" @100

Has anyone else hunted Bison with this setup?

Shot placement and maximum shot distance? Figure under 300 yards

Recommendations?

Thanks

Your just fine :grin: ...pick the bullet that shoots the best, and make room in your frezzer! :wink:

As the others have stated above you will be fine with that setup. I saw two bulls killed with a 300 Ultra Mag running those bullets, neither bull took another step. I have killed 4 bison to date, two with a 45-70 using 405gr bullets and two with my bow. They are not overly difficult to kill.

ACLakey":ftst8iir said:
As the others have stated above you will be fine with that setup. I saw two bulls killed with a 300 Ultra Mag running those bullets, neither bull took another step. I have killed 4 bison to date, two with a 45-70 using 405gr bullets and two with my bow. They are not overly difficult to kill.
Currently not concerned about the ability to kill the buffalo. More important is a quick dispatch.
This forum is giving a great bit detail. Thanks for the inputs.

Keep the info coming. Hunting experiences are greatly appreciated.

Good luck on your buffalo hunt. My cousin lives in Wasilla, Alaska and got in on the first buffalo hunt offered. Dropped it with a .338Win and a 250 grain bullet. He mentioned that it was the hardest animal ever to transport out of the woods. The weight of these animals is unbelievable.

A lot depends on your bison hunt circumstances......... are you killing a bison on a bison farm or are you going on a hunt for wild free roaming bison in remote country?

I have shot three wild bison now in western Canada and the Northwest Territories. Used a .375 H&H with 300 grain Partitions on one, a .338 Win.Mag with 225 grain Swift A-frames on another and the last with a .340 Weatherby and a 225 Barnes TSX. All three went down quickly with lung/shoulder shots and were in hunting situations where there was no way to get close enough to reliably take a head shot and a screw up would mean miles through snow and muskeg/spruce swamps.

In these situations I would opt for larger is better.

On bison farms I have shot around 60 or 70 bulls and cows. Different situations and could usually get close enough for a head or neck shot and they drop on the spot. We were using .308's and a .30-06 most of the time with 165-180 grain bullets.

On a regular lung shot bison can be slow to go down most of the time. Big chest cavity to fill. Also, if forced to take a quartering shot through a near shoulder or a departing quartering shot, you have a LOT of animal and bone to go through.

As I said, a lot depends on what sort of bison hunt you are going on. There is also a big difference in killing a young two year old bull on a farm for meat and a huge old 12-14 year old bachelor bull in the wilderness.......... in size, attitude and response to hunter presence.

Mooswa":4pijobv6 said:
A lot depends on your bison hunt circumstances......... are you killing a bison on a bison farm or are you going on a hunt for wild free roaming bison in remote country?

I have shot three wild bison now in western Canada and the Northwest Territories. Used a .375 H&H with 300 grain Partitions on one, a .338 Win.Mag with 225 grain Swift A-frames on another and the last with a .340 Weatherby and a 225 Barnes TSX. All three went down quickly with lung/shoulder shots and were in hunting situations where there was no way to get close enough to reliably take a head shot and a screw up would mean miles through snow and muskeg/spruce swamps.

On bison farms I have shot around 60 or 70 bulls and cows. Different situations and could usually get close enough for a head or neck shot and they drop on the spot. We were using .308's and a .30-06 most of the time with 165-180 grain bullets

On a regular lung shot bison can be slow to go down most of the time. Big chest cavity to fill. Also, if forced to take a quartering shot through a near shoulder or a departing quartering shot, you have a LOT of animal and bone to go through.

As I said, a lot depends on what sort of bison hunt you are going on. There is also a big difference in killing a young two year old bull on a farm for meat and a huge old 12-14 year old bachelor bull in the wilderness.......... in size, attitude and response to hunter presence.

I was invited over to contribute to a different post but saw this one. My husband and I lived in Alaska for several years before moving to Africa and it is hard not to want to hunt both places as they both offer the hunter wonderful and different challenges.

As to the Bison hunt, the above post is spot on and not much can be added. But did want to tell you that Big Rifle Man is also spot on. If your not hunting an enclosed game farm, there will be a ton of meat to carry out, you should not overlook that point.

Some of the hardest work I ever did was toting out two bison when my hunting partner and I foolishly dropped two on the same day. Moose are easier than bison to haul out of the bush, I do believe. I'll echo what has been said concerning the difference between free ranging bison and bison in an enclosed area. Bear in mind that they can be mighty tough critters. From time-to-time we have reports of someone who was on the wrong side of bison horns while hunting. It is not a pretty sight.

Mooswa":37dy6d3u said:

On bison farms I have shot around 60 or 70 bulls and cows. Different situations and could usually get close enough for a head or neck shot and they drop on the spot. We were using .308's and a .30-06 most of the time with 165-180 grain bullets.

+1

First of all let me premise my response by stating that I have zero Bison hunting experience. I've thought about it quite a few times though and I would bring a 45-70 loaded with 350-405gr hardcasts. Take if for what its worth...

CatskillCrawler":2ewo8xz5 said:
First of all let me premise my response by stating that I have zero Bison hunting experience. I've thought about it quite a few times though and I would bring a 45-70 loaded with 350-405gr hardcasts. Take if for what its worth...

That would be preferred buffler rifle as well...

CatskillCrawler":1aeqyvai said:

Or better yet my 45-70 with Beartooth Piledriver hard cast 525 grers ! Cheers RJ :)

just wondering what bison from a game farm tastes like?..how does it compare to Deer/Elk/Moose etc..If I have a chance, I would love to take one down for sure..they go about 800-1000 lbs in Quebec...Lou

Back