BLR Trigger

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I shot the new BLR chambered in 358 Win. on Tuesday and got it sighted-in at 100 yds with factory ammo. With my old eyes, the iron sights were very fuzzy, but it appears to be a very accurate rifle. The recoil from the 200 gr. 358 Win. factory ammo was quite tolerable; I would say along the lines of a 30-06.

I loved everything about the rifle except the trigger. Any words of wisdom from you BLR owners? Anyone out there that does good BLR trigger work?

I don't remember the name, but I understand that there is a fellow who specializes in BLR triggers. Maybe someone else will know who it is...

Guy

THe only BLR I have experience with is a first version Japanese with the magazine that kind of hands down below the action. The trigger was typical BLR but I didn't find it too hard to work with it. Same deal with a Browning B78. Accuracy wasn't so hot so I messed around with the forearm and now, while it rattles a little the rifle is MOA or slightly better most of the time. Iy had been binding in several places but once the binding was gone the gun proved to be a shooter.
Paul B.

Patrick, thanks for looking into this. Neil Jones is only A 1/2-day drive for me. I will be passing by just north of there on my way out on the 26th. Unfortunately, that is a Saturday during hunting season, so I won't try to stop in to see him. But, a 1/2-day drive on a nice winter day doesn't sound too awful to a retired guy.
Dan

Most won't touch a BLR trigger, and I have heard plenty of nightmares by those that have tried.
My pre-81 BLR has a terrible trigger, but I have learned where it breaks in its creep and can consistently produce 1" groups with it, so you should be able to learn your trigger too.
Acceptance of that which I cannot control is supposed to be a virtue...or is it wisdom??? ;)

i have a '16 or '17 model in 270win. i can understand why smiths would want to touch it being the way it's made, but it would take someone with a long time smithing to do this? i haven't shot mine very much, maybe about 20 rounds? not sure about moa, but did hit more than just dirt.............if a doc could ever fix my neck, i'll hopefully have more time behind the triggers?

Last edited:
Mine got better when I cleaned it up. There had been some kind of 'gunk' on it. I got the rifle used, so IDK whether that gunk was just years of who-knows-what, or if it was something the previous owner had tried to grease it with and it got contaminated, too, or just what.

Neil has a good reputation. Hope you're able to get in contact with him, and that he can make some changes you're looking for.

To be fair, I don't think a BLR trigger is ever going to be as good as a good bolt gun trigger, but they can be quite decent.

Back