Book loads for .223 Rem. using Benchmark & 50 gr.BT's

Nic_58

Beginner
Jan 25, 2006
I've got a couple Nosler manuals #3 and #4, I need to update when the new one comes out! :wink: I'm thinking about loading some .223 Rem. using Benchmark powder and the 50 gr. ballistic tips. Can someone give me the Nosler book loads using these components? Thanks!

Howdy. If you go to Hodgdons web site they have loads for Benchmark powder for the 223. I use it in my 12fv in 223. The most accurate load I have found is 26.5 grains of Benchmark, 50 grain B-T, BR4 primers it shoots in the .4s consistintly. Benchmark is a great choice for the 223 varget is another good choice it offers a little more velocity but Benchmark was more accurate in my rifle.
Joe

Info from Nosler #5

50 gn BT with Benchmark

26.5=3540
25.5=3411 (most accurate)
24.5=3285

25.5 was most accurate and also max pressure for my encore pistol, so work up with caution.

shrpshtrjoe":1ljrnqya said:
Benchmark is a great choice for the 223 varget is another good choice it offers a little more velocity but Benchmark was more accurate in my rifle.
Joe, are you sure about that? I was under the impression from others that I can get MORE velocity out of Benchmark in comparison to Varget. I've been using Varget for years, great powder and the accuracy is good but the velocity is on the low side in comparison to other powders.

Howdy Nic_58. I have not tested them personaly I was going by the data from Hodgdons web site The 50gr is very close but the 55 grain shows a bigger diference. Here's there Data from a 24" bbl ( max loads ).
50 gr spr sp
Varget 27.5 grains 3383
Benchmark 26.5 grains 3396

55 grain spr sp
Varget 27.5 grains 3384
Benchmark 25.6 grains 3264

Both powders shot very well for me the benchmark was a little bit more accurate in my rifle. It seems each manual has different velocitys the only way to be sure is to chronograph them.
Joe

Thats absolutely right, dont believe everything the book says. That was tested in there rifle. Every rifles chamber is differen't even if its the same model, make, and caliber. The only way to tell for sure is to cronograph. I've had loads show as much as 100fps slower then the book to as much as 150fps faster then the book. Barrel length, case, primers, OAL, all that has to do with velocity. Dont believe everything you read in a manual. Its only used as a guide, and your rifle will tell you when its nearing max.

I use Benchmark for all my .223 rounds. It's a great powder. I think you'll get better velocity with Benchmark unless you're shooting bullets heavier than 60 grains. At least that's true for my pistol. Like others have said, only way to know for sure in your gun is to chrono it.

Hey thanks for the info guys! I'm gonna try the Benchmark and the 50 gr. BT's in my Bushmaster Varminter. I'll run some of them through my chrono and I'll see what the velocity difference is between the Varget and the Benchmark. I'm hoping for the best of both worlds, a little more velocity AND good accuracy!

Back