Boot and pack questions

If I kill an elk early enough, I plan to have my butchering gear to do all my cutting but the meat grinding of the trim meat. This would result in everything done, trimmed, etc and vacuum sealed, which will keep it pretty safe from any water intrusion.

I have a 54-qt Coleman cooler, nothing special. My dad has a 100-qt Igloo (I think?) that I plan to borrow. My hope is between the two it's enough space for the meat and plenty of ice.

I guess for next time I should think about a real cooler. My hunting partner and I are talking antelope next year, so I'd use it then.

And Tom,

If you do another hunt here in Texas and drive back you'll need a good chest. I've seen late November/early December in the 70's and the teens.............one never knows.

Water intrusion is solved pretty easily. Freeze gallon or 1/2 gallon jugs of empty milk jugs filled with water. Zero liquid on the meat.

I used a 128 quart Igloo and it barely fit the boned out bull from 2015 and two 21 pound bags of ice. Once I got it home I let the meat sit for a day or two before I started processing and that was in 80 degree ABQ. As long as you don't open them up and even better, put a few moving blankets over them, they stay pretty cold.

And as others said, dry ice is in dang near every grocery store.

Tom , I use a 150 qt cooler coleman marine $200 . I also have a 150 qt coleman 5 day extreme cooler , I bought it from walmart $60 or $80 and works well . I can fit more than one elk in one cooler , not boned out . I've bought dry ice from grocery stores , gas stations , even bar/ restaurants . if you are close to Meeker Colorado . the grocery store did have it . the problem is these places sell out . just ask when you stop different places , the locals have been very helpful with me . this way you'll know where to buy it on your way out .

edit to add ,

3 days to travel is a good goal . I've went west with other guys and we traveled it 3 days out , 2 or 3 days home . I went to Cody WY , by myself , a couple years ago . I did it in 3 traveling days . I did sight seeing in S Dakota that added a forth day on the way out . coming home I felt great and drove about halfway on the first day . I burned myself out driving that much . it still took me 3 days .

keep in mind , there is not much goes on out there in places . hunting season is a big financial boost to these areas . when you pull into town you are a cash cow . everything has a price . if you can buy it at home for $10 , you better have $20 if you need it while you are there .

Frozen milk jugs work out pretty well as Pat mentioned. Nowadays I try to keep as much moisture off the meat as I can.

I need to upgrade my coolers as well. Good ones cost as much as a decent scope these days.. Oh well, all in the life of a traveling hunter.

Jim, I'll be near Meeker. Good info, thank you!

The three day time line is 1 day to get back to KS where Dan's at, then two days from KS home to eastern PA. I could try it in one day but it'd really suck, I think.

tddeangelo":299oeli9 said:

The three day time line is 1 day to get back to KS where Dan's at, then two days from KS home to eastern PA. I could try it in one day but it'd really suck, I think.

It's all part of the experience. Pretty hard to get meat back without driving. Flying is somewhat of a pain, not hard, just more difficult than it should be.

I am actually thinking of flying and renting a one way vehicle when I want to bring meat home this year. I am traveling solo from the east coast this year, so I am trying to cut some driving out if I can.

I'm sort of looking forward to the road trip actually.

Ask me again in November after I'm back. :lol:

Tom

cut off the antlers, skin out the head, and roast it over your camp fire. There is some very tender meat on the head and the eyeballs are very tasty. this will let you enjoy your success immediately. And according to our elders, somehow it shows respect for the animal and it will return again when your hungry. Since your headed back to Pa, this may not work the same for you however, but regardless the meat on the head is very tasty and tender

I am so excited for you , and Charles, hunting in the Rockies for Elk, is very exciting.

Tom, saw your post. Was Van the gentleman that was fighting knee surgery ? I think I remember him, but mainly remember Kelly and Aaron

No antlers for me this time... I have a cow tag. Interesting info, though. Have to keep that in mind. :)

Yes, Van was dealing with knee issues. He left the "other forum" before the serious drama started.

Very nice guy, tons of experience and has been very willing to share and help me out.

Cheyenne there is a Elk herd in PA so the possibilities of it returning when hungry could happen since the spirit could still follow. :grin:

tddeangelo":39vtwrpr said:

holly cow , I'm giving up PA rifle season to hunt Kansas whitetails this year . I just found out I was lucky in the KS draw .

That's probably a good trade off, Jim.

And as for PA elk, I'd need a spirit of some sort to get me a tag. They're HARD to get. Gotta be real lucky.... or have divine intervention.

tddeangelo":1ih8hgq0 said:
That's probably a good trade off, Jim.

And as for PA elk, I'd need a spirit of some sort to get me a tag. They're HARD to get. Gotta be real lucky.... or have divine intervention.

There is a better chance of "hillbilly Jack" being invited back to one of your family reunions than drawing a bull elk tag in PA.......................... :lol:

Now, now...there's NO chance of my hillbilly fan club being invited anywhere, but there is a chance of a PA bull tag, and you know darn good and well I'll pull one this year when I already an elk hunt in the schedule.

And I'll go on both!

If you pull one of the roughly 20 tags they offer for bulls here, you'll likely get your chance on a monster. I think the SMALLEST bull that was taken last year was over 300" and our state record is comfortably over 400". I think they topped out last year around 380" or so with some ridiculous racks. I think the biggest for the year as a 7x8. People gather around the check stations during the season waiting to see bulls come in.

Thankful Otter":3kivpnsm said:
Tom

cut off the antlers, skin out the head, and roast it over your camp fire. There is some very tender meat on the head and the eyeballs are very tasty. this will let you enjoy your success immediately. And according to our elders, somehow it shows respect for the animal and it will return again when your hungry. Since your headed back to Pa, this may not work the same for you however, but regardless the meat on the head is very tasty and tender

I am so excited for you , and Charles, hunting in the Rockies for Elk, is very exciting.

Tom, saw your post. Was Van the gentleman that was fighting knee surgery ? I think I remember him, but mainly remember Kelly and Aaron

Cheyenne,

I'm hoping there are some elk left. Both Dan and Tom are hunting just east of my location and I believe Rod is as well. All the week before I get there. There is a chance that all I'll see is a bunch of big boot prints, gut piles and the smell of burnt powder in the air................................. :lol:

Well, I've only got a cow tag, so your bulls are safe from me.

Dan, I can't promise you anything. I don't imagine he's going to hesitate on one....

Not sure it's in the budget for this year, but K2 has the 120qt coolers in their scratch and dent section considerably cheaper than the other roto-molded brands. I'd like to get one for the muley trip this year, maybe 2 before my next elk hunt.

tddeangelo":gr6hsiel said:
Yep, Scotty and I were texting tonight back and forth about MR's availability.

I went on and found they only had the Pintler in my size (that's luck I usually don't have) and only in multicam (seriously....a $25 upcharge for that????).

I just ripped off the bandaid. I get some extra money on Friday. So I just spent some of it now. Pack should be here late next week, hopefully.

I already sold my Black's Creek, and my X2 is up for sale, but it won't break my heart to keep it for non-hunting duty (family outings and such). My SJK frame pack still has the hang tags on it. I've put weight on it and gotten into it, but haven't had it out of the house, really. The guy I talked to at MR said I won't need it...the Pintler will do everything I'll need from a pack. And it'll work for when I just have a lot of clothes or such to take to a stand here. This hunt sure won't be my last hunt in the west, either. ;)

So....boots en route...pack en route.

Rifles are in good shape, with some work on the 270, but all in all, things are looking to be on track.

A guy on one of the other forums uses the Pintler and frame as his moose pack. If he needs extra room he runs a dry bag between the frame and bag. He loves it, nice as a daypack but capable of a moose quarter. He hunts them far more than most of us ever will, if it will handle his moose I'd say it will do an excellent job of anything you do with it. I looked at it pretty hard before buying. Good luck on your hunt.

That's pretty danged good if it'll handle moose quarters like that. Can't ask for much more from a pack.

Back