Bore Solvents

I use GM top engine cleaner for the carbon,and sweets for the copper.Seems to do a good job.

I have yet to try Deaton's, but from what I've read it must be good stuff. I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

I have never found a single solvent that is truly effective, so I've always used Hoppe's No.9 to remove carbon fouling. There may be better carbon solvents on the market, but there's no other gun-related fragrance I can think of that brings on so many fond memories!

I used to use Sweet's for metal fouling but have been using KG12 lately and it seems to work well---without choking everyone in the house with fumes and the smell of ammonia. Plus, it won't hurt your bore. I use nylon brushes with KG12 to give it a little help and it makes short work of metal fouling.

"I've always used Hoppe's No.9 to remove carbon fouling. There may be better carbon solvents on the market, but there's no other gun-related fragrance I can think of that brings on so many fond memories!"

I hear ya brother. A couple of years back my wife came home from a party with something called a diffuser.
It's a bunch of sticks you place in a bottle of scented oil and it disperses the scent into the room.She left it sitting around for a week and I stole it from her. I took the sticks and stuck them into a bottle of Hoppe's #9. Everytime I go to my relaoding bench I think of the days my dad and I spent together............

Mom used to accuse of of using the stuff for cologne too!

Howard

I've been using M Pro7 the last year. I am so impressed I bought a gallon of it. It takes both the carbon and copper off as it is layered in the bore from shooting. Fast, odorless, the military uses it along with major gun manufacturers.

Attachments

• 822547.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,414
I recommend a normal cleaning with Butch's Bore Shine followed by a coat of Kroil (AeroKroil is the same thing, they just put the "aero" in it because of the air pressure used to force it out). Leave the Kroil in it when you store it (the last patch through your gun before you store it should be a wet patch of Kroil). When you plan on using it, take a wet patch of Kroil and run it though and it will get out the crap that was buried in the pores. Follow that with a dry patch or two.

Now, back on topic, you need some extra power at times to get stubborn copper out, yep, even Butch's can't get it all. I recommend KG-12!

Found here: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=570174

GREAT STUFF AND IT WON'T CHASE YOU OUT OF THE GARAGE!!!!!!

Also, Howard was dead on
Unforutanetly all my sticks seem to shoot better with a bit of fouling.I get them real clean and groups go to hell.

This was directly from Hart Rifle Barrels FAQ
Can I get my barrel too clean?
Yes, it is possible to get your barrel too clean, or to actually dry out the stainless steel. After brushing your barrel with a brass brush soaked with Hoppe's #9, Shooters Choice, or Butch's Bore Shine & Oil, several times and letting it soak for a few minutes, run a couple of dry patches in your barrel. Shoot a few more rounds, and if there is a considerable amount of cooper or fouling, then you may need to repeat the procedure. The key is, if your rifle is performing well, then you are probably getting it clean enough.

As i Mentioned previously I switched over to Boretech Copper plus and have been very happy with it. This past week I had plans to take my Rem 700 in .338RUM to the range to check the POI as I had broken it down after last Oct's Elk Hunt. Prior to running a patch down the barrel I did a looksee and saw what looked like hairs sticking up. I ran a patch through and it came out brown. I then ran a couple of patches with Copper plus down the barrel and then clean patches. The copper plus I had left in the barrel per written instructions on the container cleaned up more gunk that I had missed. When I ran the last patch down the barrel I noticed how effortless the pass through was and the barrel was literally shining. Cleaning products have come a long way.

Cleaned the rifles last night with the usual CR-10. Followed it up with J-B Bore Bright. What a shine it had. Will see if it aids in better results at the range tomorrow.

Also just ordered some Bore Tech Copper Plus to try since a few stated here it was pretty easy to work with and cleans faster.

Don

I used to use Hoppe's 9 and Sweets. The odor of Sweets bothered me and I made the switch to Butch's bore shine. I still miss the smell of Hoppe's 9.
I need to take the shotgun out more often

Well, I purchased Bore Tech Copper +2 and just gave it a try on the 30-06. It's an amazing product.
Cleans in no time at all,no smell vs. CR10 It cleans & removes the copper sooooo much faster.

I believe I found the replacement for CR10.

Don

Back