Borescoped the 240 WBY

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
So I bought one of those teslong borescopes a few months back and just got around to playing with it, and decided to look down the 240 WBY. I've put about 350-400 rounds down it in a few years, never let it get hot. I've only cleaned it 3 times or so, when accuracy noticeably starts to fall off. Anyway, I discovered a couple things. First off, I'm already experiencing some throat cracking/erosion. 2nd, the barrel definitely isnt a premium barrel with all the chatter marks through it. It shoots decent enough for a $400 bone stock factory vanguard S2, but it's never really been very consistent. One day it will shoot great as in 3/8 MOA, the next day it will be 1 MOA. I've only tried 2 bullets through it, 87g VMAX and 105g HPBTs. Using RL22 with the 87s at 3500fps and RL26 with the 105s at 3250fps. I was thinking itd go maybe 1000 rounds, but that's probably being very generous, realistically looking at around 800. Oh well, I'll rebarrel it with a 7.5 twist 26" or 28" Bartlein and then it should shoot dimes all day. Heres a few pictures I took inside the bore. I'll probably give it a good scrubbing after I finish the last few rounds I have loaded up with the 105s...

Just ahead of the lands here, can see the cracking/erosion on the bottom picture.

And here is quite a bit of chatter Mark's around halfway to to the end of the barrel on the top 2 pictures.

Attachments

• IPC_2020-11-19.22.44.00.8149.jpg
    IPC_2020-11-19.22.44.00.8149.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 1,008
  • IPC_2020-11-19.22.54.40.1680.jpg
    IPC_2020-11-19.22.54.40.1680.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 1,008
  • IPC_2020-11-19.22.47.41.1090.jpg
    IPC_2020-11-19.22.47.41.1090.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 1,008
Very interesting. I would believe that some of us would be horrified to see the bores of our favorite tack drivers.

JD338

R 25.06,

I also bought one of those bore scopes recently and in a nutshell, horrifying.

I was considering posting pictures as well, but haven’t. I’m working on my Sons 300 WSM which tries to throw great groups, ie 2 touching and one about 2-3” left or right. That one was dirty and had copper fouling. The worse spot was 6” from the end of the muzzle. The tool is very helpful. I can’t tell you how many blue patches we pulled out. We haven’t put more than 200 rounds down it, and I’m sure it wasn’t clean when we acquired it. Lands and rifling are solid(w M70).

The other is a savage 3006, shoots well, better than a 300 rifle should.(sub MOA). It was also dirty and fouled, but still shooting well. I might have corrosion in a spot or two. I have had some rainy hunts with it.

I’ll post some pictures.

For a basically a $65 tool, I think it’s a good investment fir helping care for barrels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A borescope inevitably reveals some horrifying evidence that is inevitable when heat and pressure are working over a work of art. The best of barrels almost always demonstrate the evidence of tools shaping the metal. The marvel is not that our barrels are not as perfect as we supposed; the marvel is that modern rifles are capable of the accuracy we have come to expect.

I'm going to scope my 7-300 with a Bartlein that also has about 400 rounds down it, just to see what it looks like. It's a very accurate and consistent shooting rifle. I've also got a custom shop Remington 700 KS mountain rifle in a 280 with under 150 rounds down it, and a ruger target 223 with I dont know how many rounds through it, I'll guess around 1500. Not sure I should've bought this borescope, probably going to cost me a lot more in the long run of things, haha. But its definitely worth the $50 I paid for it. I scoped my CZ 457 American as well and that barrel was pretty dang good looking. No chatter Mark's, sharp rifling, very little fouling. The only thing I noticed is it had a few things that looked like yellowish clear gold stuff. I'm thinking it's from the wax/lube from the bullets. Definitely doesnt appear to be copper, lead, powder, or carbon fouling based off color. Heres the pic of the CZ 457 American 22 LR with that yellow/clear substance.

Attachments

• IPC_2020-11-16.21.35.12.8920.jpg
    IPC_2020-11-16.21.35.12.8920.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 961
Interesting stuff fellows.

I haven't looked through a bore scope in a long time, back when they were expensive. It's an interesting thing, looking at the bore in detail like that.

I'm with Dr. Mike on this - it's pretty amazing how well the barrels shoot. Dirty. Alligator scales forming. Chatter marks and other machining marks... Yet our rifles often continue to shoot quite well.

I've written this before, barrels are like tires, even the good ones wear out.

The bright news is that new ones are being made every day! :)

Guy

That reminded me to buy a teslong borescope soon. That firecracking ahead of the throat reminded me of that 7STW barrel that was a goner that I had converted to 300 Win Mag 2 years ago. Borescopes, like the fellas mentioned, indeed helps to keep tabs on what is present in your barrels. It's worth the investment.

Ignorance is bliss is my motto when it comes to rifle barrels[emoji3]

No doubt that some factory rifles are capable of great accuracy, even with dirty, copper fouled, chattered barrels, but I'm more inclined to believe this rifle will definitely benefit from a new Bartlein in way of consistency. It should last a bit longer as well being stainless, versus the chrome moly, not to mention being hand lapped and cut rifled. It shoots ok for what it is, but I need it to be a lot better and consistent, especially for being a LR coyote rifle. It's just not cutting it.

This is like watching a colonoscopy; you never know what you may find. Is there a correlation between the overbore cartridges and copper buildup ? The Sako 85 in a 30/06 has a very fine barrel and it does not show much copper buildup. The Forbes 24 in 270 and a Shaw barrel always has copper buildup but it still shoots light-out. The two Kimber also show copper buildup but still shoot great. Whatever or however Sako builds their barrels they are awesome products. The cartridge I shoot is nowhere near a 240 Weatherby in velocity. Just wondering about the overbore and barrel life.

300 WSM Win Model 70 sporter
f16d60a0c2bd0ff4ab9fcf547829d9ae.jpg

32897edcba054cf637d341ea76ff279a.jpg

It’s actually pretty clean at this point.

That’s between the muzzle and 6” back.

This is right where you jump into lands.
Also thinking it looks good. Nothing nasty.

I’ve been working nightly on this barrel and I think it’s ready for a play date tomorrow or Sunday.

This is the same gun I free floated the barrel and turned the trigger down to 3# from about 6#.

Savage 11 3006 probably over 1000 rounds down the tube. Still <MOA
This spot, you can see copper in the rifling, and some potting in the bottom center.
cfd5eeee6c5bfd8259528415099020af.jpg

Is this what corrosion looks like?

This is close to the muzzle.
85fa9881cb6ce1ae68c976ad45d011ca.jpg

Looks like the metal is scaled

Definitely a wonderful tool. Probably the key thing is sharp rifling and a good crown. I thin the pitting and copper isn’t a problem until it messes up the rifling.

A friend bought me his Dad's 30-06 not long ago. That rifle has been around the world on a variety of game and tips. He's the guy who used one gun for everything, and shot more than most of us ever will. It's an old Mauser that was sporterized by a local gentleman who made a lot of these.

The son couldn't get the bolt to close, so let me take a look at it.

I too used my Teslong on this one. Sand in the action, and enough corrosion to think it hadn't been cleaned in a LONG time. The rifling is gone from the last few inches of the barrel. I'm not sure if it was in the dirt several times, or he always cleaned it from the muzzle end.

After swapping out rings and bases for ones that would let me mount the old Leupold straight, I took it to the range yesterday. With old factory Remington 180gr PSP Core-Lokt bullets it still shoots Sub-MOA at 200 yards despite the worst barrel I've ever seen.

The point is, I'm not sure the appearance of the barrel has anything to do with the accuracy of the rifle.

Good point. Seems that old 30-06 has some stories behind it. Yet is still ready to make more.

Guy

I've also been playing with a Teslong. It is fun and educational, and so far useful in showing me carbon and copper buildup, crown, and chamber/neck/throat. All I have read is the caution to not over-react at some of the things that show up! They say the true measure of condition is how well it shoots and if it still shoots about the same. I've got a couple bores with slight pitting, one with a lot of fire-cracking, another with some throat erosion. And they all still shoot like they always did. So, Dr. Vette, I think your point is accurate and well-taken! EE2

I have to agree with DR V’s observations... hate to say this having OCD... maybe gun cleaning is over rated?

I’m curious what a shot out barrel looks like. If anyone has one, please post pictures..

I've shot out several barrels...220 swift, 2506, 300 RUM. All way before I had a borescope though. Accuracy doubled, and sometimes tripled at LR with these rifles with around 2-3000 rounds down the tube. It happens, trust me. Working on shooting out this 240 WBY as well...I never said barrels couldnt or wouldnt shoot dirty or fouled, but once the throat is gone, and looks like crocodile hide, it's time for a new tube. I'm looking to keep 1/2 MOA out a ways, once it starts opening up over 1 MOA, it has no place in my safe anymore and it's time to either sell the rifle, or put a new barrel on. I mean if barrels never shot out, why do target/LR shooters have to replace them so often? They're looking to keep the most accuracy they know the rifle/load is capable of. Once it starts doubling and tripling in size, it only makes sense to get a new tube. Barrels dont last forever, especially hot rods...

Back