Brake/Can

FNWhelen

Beginner
Feb 23, 2023
I don't have either one but am thinking of giving both a try. Will most likely go on a 6.5 or a 30-06. What brands/styles of each do you guys like best. And if I get one in 308 can it be used on the 6.5 also? I am pretty sure some of you have used them and will know far more than me so this is a good place to askfor help.

I have to say that I absolutely hate the noise and buffeting produced by muzzle brakes and will not use one on my rifles!
I had a Sako 300 Win Mag back in my early 20's that was Magna-Ported and the extra noise caused me to flinch...something that I still have to work on every year when I start shooting again, to overcome! (I flinch from the noise, not the recoil and so use plugs and muffs when shooting)

I hadn't had any experience with suppressors (cans) as they are not legal here north of the border, until I used a suppressed 300 Win Mag on my recent African hunt.
I can say that it definitely tamed the felt recoil on that Ruger Mk II in 300 Win Mag! Even my wife, who is really recoil sensitive, found it pleasurable to shoot, and used it for her springbok and sable. (I will admit that it was a huge can and added a lot of weight to an already heavy rifle that was also equipped with a large scope (S&B 2.5-10x56) and a bipod, bringing the overall weight of the rifle well past 13 lbs (and possibly heavier!)).
But on the the occasion where a shot was pulled, the suppressed sound of that first missed shot did allow for a follow up shot that did the job. (Even though we practiced shooting off of our Trigger sticks, the shooting sticks used in Africa are different, and we are not as shooting stick proficient as we would like to be!)

I have read that some cans can be used on multiple calibers, so you will need to do your research before buying. I have also read that some places will allow you to try various makes and models to determine which one will work best for you, on your rifle. If possible, I would recommend this, as the variance in make and model will have an impact on the weight and balance of your rifle, and determine your overall experience with the product you buy and install on your rifle.

Personally, I would opt for the smallest, lightest one that doesn't overly impact the balance and handiness of my rifle...but that is just me. But my hunting style requires mobility and handiness. Your hunting style may make this less of an issue...but you need to consider this in your buying decision, as your overall happiness with the product will depend upon it.

I have no experience with a can .

I do use muzzle brakes . I have a few and I've used them for years . if you do any prone shooting forget about a radial brake . a radial brake will blow a bunch of dirt and grass with each shot . for prone shooting you want a side port brake . on a side port brake there is no holes pointing towards the ground . I really like the brakes made by www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com . I have a few of the guys I shoot with using them too. we are all pleased with them . you can watch comparison videos on the website . the guy that owns muzzle brakes and more , is on the forum he goes by , @IdahoCTD . he is a wealth of information on brakes . Nathan will treat you right . he has always been fast with my orders .

Otter Creek Suppressors are great affordable cans. If you want one can you can use on 30 cal and below, their Polonium 30 is the way to go. I regularly shot with brakes on 30 and 6.5 rifles before shooting with cans....will never shoot w/o a can again. Cans not only help with noise, they help with recoil, too. I can now have three Otter Creek cans and love them.

Back