Brass question

BlacktailDan

Beginner
Dec 7, 2004
I have been loading Win. brass and Fed. brass while working up a load. I am seperating while testing. The question is, is it normal for one to shoot better than the other? The Federal brass seemed to shoot more consistent for me. Also after resizing ive had to trim off more material on the Federal brass. Any thoughts?

Everything I have read says that there is always a potential difference when changing any componant in reloading. I have typically shot Winchester brass and Remington. To tell you the truth, I have not noticed any difference at all in accuracy or upkeep of the brass. Granted I am not shooting absolute max loads either, but usually in the med to high range out of my reloading books.

Long

Along the lines of the above post.There is always a chance one could see an Accuracy Difference with one brand of brass over another brand,however I haven't seen it yet.

It isn't a good ideal to mix brass headstamps while working up loads as I have seen pressures jump what few times I've done it.

Always best to follow the Basic Rule of Reloading,If you change any componant of the load data.Always start low and work back up.

We always change our brass out when changing the load, as well as keeping the same brass headstamps for all. You will find that different brass manufacturers have different combustion chambers inside the brass. Some smaller, and some larger. This will cause pressure differences and must always be kept in mind.

Back