Brass with "ejector marks"?

sithlord6512

Beginner
Nov 24, 2008
I am preparing to reload twice-fired brass and I've just noticed very faint ejector marks on some of them (indication of overpressure). Is it safe to reload this brass? Again, the ejector marks are very faint. Thanks.

sithlord6512":3tjqpdig said:
I am preparing to reload twice-fired brass and I've just noticed very faint ejector marks on some of them (indication of overpressure). Is it safe to reload this brass? Again, the ejector marks are very faint. Thanks.

Are the primer pockets still tight? If so, than the brass should be fine.
What is the load you are working up?

JD338

Yes, the primer pockets are seemingly still tight.

I amdworking on loads using IMR4350 (65.5 grains max) with 180 grain Barnes TTSXs. 64.5 grains was the most accurate load. Next "project" is to verify the load and then work on trying different seating depths.

Are the marks you describe on your 300 WSM? What rifle were they fired in? Know that faint marks on the head of some 300 WSM cases is not unusual.

The marks are on the brass only - bolt face of the .300 WSM is blemish-free. The twice-fired brass has only been used in this one rifle.

I am 100% certain the marks are from the ejector-hole - the edges of the faint marks are perfectly circular and they occur where the ejector hole would be when the bolt is closed. I know this for certain, as I "index" all my cases with a mark on the case head - this mark is made on the thinnest side of the brass (and in a way that will not affect the headspace), and I align this mark so that it is behind one of the locking lugs when the bolt is closed - a tip I learned from Sierra/David Tubbs advanced reloading video.

Only faint circular edges are ever visible - if the marks are "shinier" than the rest of the casehead, it is to subtle for me to notice.

I am glad to hear that this in not uncommon with a .300 WSM. I don not have easy access to rifle brass where I live (one of the reasons I got into reloading in the first place).

What you are describing does not sound uncommon in the WSMs. First, since the primer pockets are still tight, it is indicative that pressure has not significantly eroded the integrity of the case head. To ease your mind, examine brass after one firing. It is likely that you will find faint marks on the case head after one firing.

I just examine some brass from factory ammo that was fired once in my newer 300 WSM, and there are faint ejector marks on the case head. I really don't believe this is unusual. It was very common in the first rifles chambered in this particular cartridge. Such marks are not as pronounced in most of the newer rifles, but they are not unobserved.

For what it is worth, I still got up to ten loadings in my older 300 WSM despite these marks on the case head.

Back