Broken Voere stock - need suggestions

Nimrod84

Handloader
Feb 20, 2017
Hi,

I have a Voere 2165 (Mauser 98 variant with a tang safety and also stamped with Parker-Ballard) chambered in 30-06 with a cracked stock. The stock is not repairable by the local smith and I am unable to come up with a replacement stock. Center of the action screws is about 7.8", receiver is about 1.5" wide and the thickest part of the barrel is 1.25" wide. I am not currently setup to post pictures, as I have no photo hosting accounts.

The rifle is fairly cheap ($500-$600), so I need to be fugal and not get drawn into the rabbit hole. My lack of budget (I'm not willing to break $300 at this point) has been ruling out stock duplication. If anyone knows of a cheap stock duplicator, or a used or even (semi) inletted stock for the Voere I would be interested.

I have half a mind to buy a Mauser 98 stock and see if I can modify it for the tang safety. I'm also wondering if perhaps a Ruger M77 stock with the tang safety would be easily convertible. If anyone has recommendations as to the feasibility of modifying a stock to fit the Voere 2165, I would be all ears.

The only other option that comes to mind is to somehow remove the Voere's tang and replace the trigger assembly with a pre-assemble toggle safety trigger group. Conceivably this would open up some stock options. I have no clue as to the feasibility of this or its cost.

Thank you,
Nimrod84

I looked around for an after market or factory stock and it doesn't seem to be available. But the rifles I found on Guns America listed from $1200-$730 so maybe your underestimating the value and should look for someone to duplicate the stock for you. Prices can vary due to grade of wood used but if it's a good shooter and you like the rifle get a duplicated stock and bed it or have it bedded and have a useful rifle. JMO

Thanks Truck Driver.

If you have any recommendations as to who I should contact, and is cheapish, I would be interested. I have a little wiggle room but not much. It has mostly been a backup rifle - typical 1.5"-2" groups at 100 yards. I emailed Richards Microfit Stocks, three or four weeks ago about a Voere stock and never got a reply from them.

Prices on Gunbroker for the Voere 2165 models are in the high $500 range with original stocks and they haven't had any bids. I've seen a few Voere 2165's locally at Gander Mountain and Cabellas listed for about $700 and they likewise don't move.

Part of the dilemma for me is that I can pickup a cheap mass produced synthetic stocked Ruger American, Savage Axis, T/C Venture etc. for under $400. I don't want to do that, as I like my older rifles and their character. But it does force my perspective about replacement options and costs for a backup rifle; especially when justifying things to the family.

I think I can find the name of a guy in Hemlock Michigan who can make custom stocks or replicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be able to modify a Mauser 98 stock to fit, or as suggested get a replacement trigger with side safety (about $50-75 depending on trigger manufacturer). A quick check on ebay showed several used Mauser stocks under $100. You might also check with a few gunsmiths and see if they have any used Mauser stocks from customers that upgraded to synthetic and didn't want the wood stock back. Or maybe a call to Boyd's if you wanted a new wood stock. They have both laminates and walnut stocks.

Crack is from the rear action screw to the start of the pistol grip on the right hand side.

When purchased there was a repaired crack on the right hand side, the repair did not have pins put in to stabilize the wood and it cracked there and moved forward into the action. I can email pictures - I don't think I can pm them...

Why can't you pillar bed the action and reinforce the pistol grip with a piece of brass rod or allthread 'glassed into place?

George

Thank you GeorgeS, I'm not sure why the smith said it was a no go; he might be out to lunch or it might be outside of his skill / comfort level.

From what was mentioned I think that his thought process involved too much torque in the wood from the old repair.

I'll try to get pictures up.

I don't know how different the Voere action is from other commercial Mauser 98s is, but you could get a utility grade stock from Richard's Micro-Fit, Boyd's, Jack First, or Numrich and complete the inletting yourself.

George

GeorgeS":1m61mw53 said:
I don't know how different the Voere action is from other commercial Mauser 98s is, but you could get a utility grade stock from Richard's Micro-Fit, Boyd's, Jack First, or Numrich and complete the inletting yourself.

George
Boyds lists a stock for a Parker Hale (Mauser 1200). Not sure if it is the same as your variant. You might measure the distance between the action screws and diameter of the action then give them a call. It may cross with one they list. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

The Parker Hale 1200 might work, but would need some work to accommodate the tang safety.

Truck Driver, Canward does list it as a special order - thanks for finding it!

Back