338 Alaskan re stock project (pic heavy)

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Well it has been a work in progress for some time now. Started in Missouri last year, and finished here in New Mexico.

I bought this 1959 Alaskan from a well known model 70 dealer on the east coast about 2 years ago and when I got my hands on it I was really upset. The stock was cracked at the tang and at the rear of the trigger guard. It had been glass bedded. Someone had drilled a hole across the stock and filled the hole with epoxy in the same spot where a cross bolt is usually installed. None of this was disclosed at time of sale, nor did the pictures show this. I even called and talked live to the dealer and asked if there was anything not original with the stock ( he said "no").

Anyway I scoped it and shot it. It would group 2 close together and one flyer everytime. I started checking screw tightening, sequence of tightening, forearm screw torque, etc.. all the things I know to mess with on the M70's. Nothing worked. But when I paid attention and loosened the front action screw in the dead quiet, with my ear close, I could hear the barrel squeaking. I took it apart, reassembled, and tried again.... Squeak!! Okay I had a stock issue.

Well now the cool part. Found a stock that was rough inletted, barrel channel the size of a pencil, it had a Weatherby esque comb, and the bolt would not even fit in the slot. Best part it was 75 bucks. I bought it. The wrist was huge, and the forearm was really wide. Here was the day I started:

So I again wanted to go old school with no power tools. First up, cut to fit. This made me nervous but going slow I was able to maintain a straight cut and then sand it square in short order.

Then with a course file I knocked down the comb to a more classic M70 look.

After that i inletted the barrel channel, rear tang, and set the pillars:

I then bedded in the entire action, including the complete mag well. Every square bit of wood eventually was covered with Marine Tex. I even Marine Tex'd the entire bottom metal assembly as well. The barrel is completely free floated from the recoil lug and I eliminated the front forend screw. The pics show the progression.

On to the Flutes:

More in post #2

I salvaged a grip cap from a Supergrade stock and went to work fitting it as well:

Now to contour into the but. Cabinet scrapers and small files work great for this. I also cut down on the angle that the cap sat, basically shortening up the grip 3/16 of an inch.

Now for the stock itself. I used some cabinet scrapers to shape the entire thing just the way I like it. I left a very small palm swell on the right side of the grip. I also did break my " no power tools" and I did use the upright belt sander to grind the original 1959 recoil pad down to fit the stock. I then skim bedded the pad to the stock with Marine Tex.

After that it was time for the Super Grade swivels. This was a tough one. I sat at the bench staring at the stock, trying to determine how to cut these out and have a nice smooth circle at both ends. I don't own a round gouger/chisel set. Then I started thinking. I have thousands of empty brass laying around, so I started comparing....

Guess what? 45ACP brass is the exact diameter and shape of the swivel bases. I took out the chamfer tool and chamfered until it was razor sharp.

Now for the finishing. I went with what I used in the past, True Oil and Armor All. It went on great, but when I started the checkering process the finish started flaking off in huge pieces. I proceeded to checker the stock 3/4 of the way done and then strip the finish to redo. Here is the checkering. I went with a Supergrade wrap around ( first time trying this) as well as going borderless. Borderless is tough and there is no room for error as overruns stand out.

After that I switched gears and under the advice of Scotty, bought some Waterlox and finished with that instead. What a difference. Waterlox is the cats meow. Now it does come in both original gloss and a satin finish, I chose the gloss. I had read online that Mister Clean Majic Erasers worked great to knock down the gloss on it as a finish so I said " what the heck". Worked like a charm.

Here is the checkering after a few coats of waterlox to seal it.

And the finished project, next to the original.

I have tried to accomplish in making a weatherproof walnut stock. There is zero wood that exposed that doesn't have either Marine Tex, or Waterlox on it. Even the swivel bases are epoxied in.

I already have some loads ready for her, even though I won't be using her this year in NM, I have full confidence she will be ready. A Burris 3x9x40 C4 is going on her in Talley steel mounts.

The dealer that sold the rifle should be exposed for his perfidy. However, your diligence and care has turned a "turd" into a "diamond." Beautiful workmanship, Pat. The payment is the beauty of your workmanship. Excellent post.

Wow! Terrific job!
That is excellent. Scotty led you right. Waterlox is the bomb. I've used it on bamboo fly rods for years. Good stuff.
That will make that rifle even more special to you I believe.

Really nice craftsmanship...I'm doing a lot of the same things to the original stock of a 1949 model 70.

Pat,

Excellent job on the stock! Man, you ended up with a beautiful rifle.
Looking forward to reading about your range report.
Well done buddy.

JD338

Nicely done!
That quality you have exhibited so well would cost you $$$ if you chose for somebody to do that for you. That is a fine looking rifle!
Scott

Way to go Pat! That is beautiful!

Everything looks excellent. Can't wait to see how it shoots.

Great job on your stock it turned out real nice. Missed seeing you had moved though, good luck in your new location.

That is a most gorgeous rifle and you should be proud of your work.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

gerry":3cchwzyk said:
Great job on your stock it turned out real nice. Missed seeing you had moved though, good luck in your new location.

Thanks Gerry!

Yes we moved to ABQ NM back in November. New job. This afforded my wife to stay at home with the kiddos.

LOVE LOVE LOVE being close to the mountains. Literally 15 minutes from Mulies, antelope, coyotes, quail, and jackrabbits and only 45 minutes from Elk.

Pat,
Just excellent!! I remember in late 2012 I shared some ideas and tips from my learning experience - it is gratifying to think maybe I helped you become the obvious craftsman you are today!! Either way, beautiful job and write-up. Thanks for posting it :)
EE2 (Tom)

What size pkg Marine Tex was needed for this project??? It comes in 2oz and 12oz pkgs Can I get by with the 2 oz pkg? I'm wanting to do my O/U shotgun. Thanks! Ken

Back