Browning Boss Setting 30-06 and load

sonofagun

Beginner
Sep 6, 2006
Help! I am going on a trip and i am working up a load for my brother's Browning Bar 30-06 with a BOSS. They offer no guidance for sweet spot settings for any Nosler bullets. I am interested in 180 G AB or PT bullet and settings. I cannot get a credible 3 shot group with their sweet spot recommendations for Federal or Hornady. The folks at Browning have been disappointingly unhelpful. Thanks if anyone has a load or settings.
Mike

My BOSS equiped winchester had a card with it that had sweet spots for various bullet WEIGHTS. Not specific bullets. Go with the sweet spot for a 180gr, & tune accordingly.

Bigwheels":2avy5y0k said:
My BOSS equiped winchester had a card with it that had sweet spots for various bullet WEIGHTS. Not specific bullets. Go with the sweet spot for a 180gr, & tune accordingly.

You have quite a range of adjustments to play with. Browning lists a BOSS setting of 5.25 using Hornady brand ammo and a setting of 5 for Federal brand ammo. Follow the instructions starting with the 5 setting for your initial three shot group. Back it off to 4.5 shoot a two shot group if it gets better try 4.75 shoot another two shot group. I think you can see how to find the sweet spot for your rifle and the load you developed. By the way, at what setting did you do your load developement at? What is your load and what velocities and group sizes were you getting at that setting?

I consulted the Browning BOSS Setting and began with a calabrated setting of 5.0 shot 3 groups of 2'', adjust to 5.1 shoot 2 and catch a flyer. I am loading 54G IMR4350, 180 AB And PT, Fed 210, Nosler case. I cannot seem to find any consistancey or improvement in grouping out to 5.6?

All I can say is, adjusting the BOSS to work is trial and error. It can take quite a few rounds to figure it out. I would suggest you try backing up the settings to 4.5 and go in .25 increments. If the groups start getting better, then switch to smaller increments to dial it in. Note, if you decide to shoot something else from that rifle, you will have to repeat the process for that load as well.

I used to have 2 boss equipped guns and both were stellar shooters with the recomended settings. One was a 270 rem in a bar and I set it for 140 grainers and it shot 130's 140's and 150's to the exact same point of impact with moa or less accuracy.
I guess my point is.....are you sure the boss is to blame and not something else. Is the barrel super clean and free of copper deposits. Is the scope on good and tight and proven to be a good performer?? Has this gun worked well with ANY AMMO in the past? Just some ideas to put on the table.

I forgot mention, my rifle is an A-bolt in 338WM. If I recall, the semi-auto rifles are not as acurate as bolt action, I could be wrong as I have never owned a semi-auto centerfire.

Find the velocity you want first, Then make about 50 rounds and go play with the setting. H4350 rl22 works well.

Back