Bucket list rifle

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Last weekend at our local gunshow, I was finally able to check a box off of my gun bucket list.

With a straight across trade involving a rifle I hardly ever used, the Model 70 came home with me showered by friends with an oral ticker tape parade of disbelief in my swapping abilities.

My beloved Classic Stainless which is still the apple of my eye has now been joined by a 1951 vintage Pre-64.

I am planning to mount a scope in the near future, probably a 3-9/3.5-10 or if I can’t get one of those to sit low enough, I may just get a FX-II 6x36.

Have had lots of them in my hands and FINALLY got to take one home for keeps!

Oh and yes, it’s a .30-06!

Attachments

• 8D397892-28A6-4765-9939-E28CAD0F9C81.jpeg
    8D397892-28A6-4765-9939-E28CAD0F9C81.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 27
Great trade, should treat you well!

Maven optics is running a 15% off moving safe for the next few days.
I’ve been looking at Leupolds mount finder the last couple of days, and with the factory stock dropping so much at the heel I’m thinking low rings and a fixed power scope (FX-II 6x36) is more the way I’m leaning.

Last weekend at our local gunshow, I was finally able to check a box off of my gun bucket list.

With a straight across trade involving a rifle I hardly ever used, the Model 70 came home with me showered by friends with an oral ticker tape parade of disbelief in my swapping abilities.

My beloved Classic Stainless which is still the apple of my eye has now been joined by a 1951 vintage Pre-64.

I am planning to mount a scope in the near future, probably a 3-9/3.5-10 or if I can’t get one of those to sit low enough, I may just get a FX-II 6x36.

Congrats on a great rifle! Enjoy. :)

Guy

Holy smokes FJ! That is a COOL rifle! What a score!

Looks like a great find/trade. take a look at the 2.5x8 x36. Sits quite a bit lower than the .3.5x10
And yes, I just put one on a 300 H&H since they have ALOT of windage available and sit low!

My Classic Stainless has the 3.5-10, and I really like that scope and range of magnification. Will it work in low rings I wonder?

If not, I may just have to give that 2.5-8 a try!
I would try it. My 3.5x10s all have a little room to come down from medium rings. Guess it depends on barrel profile. If Leupold ever made the old 2x7 in a VX3 again with cds. I’d buy 3 or 4 the day they hit the market. Be a perfect scope for my Ruger #1s

Back