Hunting bucket list ?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Okay, I'm not real big on the bucket list for guns. Seem to be pretty satisfied with the current setup, though I wouldn't complain if a nice new Nosler rifle found a home here.

But... while I could hunt mule deer, black bear and elk here in Washington til the end of my days there are some animals that I'd really like to hunt:

Oryx, like my old friend Lefty315 bagged. Nothing says "AFRICA" to me like the Oryx:
JimOryx.jpg

Cape Buff, like my work buddy managed to take after a bit of a rodeo:
Buff2.jpg

Bighorn ram, like my friend Aaron took here in Washington, only a few miles from my home. Dang. Turns out it was the World Record for "California Bighorn" at the time. Might still be for all I know. I wouldn't need for it to be that big...
Aaronsram-1.jpg

A moose like friend S. took with his bow here in Washington. They're not supposed to be this big in Washington...
WAMoose.jpg

American Bison - doesn't have to be a big brute like this Yellowstone bull - but yeah - a bison would be really cool:
IMG_1520.jpg

A cougar, like this one taking down a ram here in Washington!
cougar03.jpg

A big Alaskan brownie, or a grizzly. I photographed these while fishing in Alaska last September.
IMG_6644.jpg

IMG_6691.jpg

Yeah, those, along with a Bigger Mule Deer and a caribou, would do it very nicely. I only need about a half a million to make it all happen! That and another 20+ years to draw all the tags. :grin:

What's your hunting bucket list?

Guy

Man My 416 Bee would make that brownie succumb in a second!

I'm old enough that I don't think in terms of long trips to hunt exotic game anymore. I would, however, enjoy taking a few friends to hunt some of the animals that frequent my AO (moose, mountain goat, Rocky Mountain big horn sheep, Dall's sheep, Stone's sheep, grizzly, wolf). It likely won't happen, however, as I'm not a licensed guide and those I'd take are mostly from outside Canada.

Wow, that cat picture is amazing.
They're all good, come to think of it. After seeing others you've posted, you ever think of photography as a second gig?
List...
One more bear
Antelope, mule deer, moose. Don't have to be world beaters, just good representatives.
A really huge wild pig would be fun.
Got rotten wheels, so the sheep are probably out.
Dewey

Australia, Africa, Alaska and Argentina. Working on the "A" bucket list for now. Did the first two but Africa keeps calling for me to back for gemsbok, buff and sable. Working on Alaska for brown bear.
Russ

I only took the bear & bison photos. Bummer... :grin: Thanks for the compliment though - and yes, I'd like to get a better long-range camera/lens and do more wildlife photography. Tags for that are real cheap - just a tank of gas and some vibram lug soles.

That cougar photo has been floating around the internet & e-mail for a couple of years. Supposedly taken by someone on a boat on Lake Roosevelt (Columbia River) here in Washington. There's a whole series of those photos as the cougar stalks, then takes down the ram. Amazing capture by the photographer!

Guy

Croatia coast tour (spring of 14 ), 350 Bull, a nice Roosevelt bull. I would like to meet more forum members in person. Perhaps a black bear hunt on Vancouver Island. As many more falls as I can get.

An Ibex is Number 1 on my list. Whether it's in Mongolia or one of the 'stans I haven't decided yet. I think from a tourist standpoint I'd like it to be Mongolia. Some wild open country there. Plus any country that hunts wolves with eagles is cool in my book :mrgreen:

A pack-in elk hunting trip for a nice bull is on the list too and if I'm lucky with the draw (have the points so shouldn't be too much of a stretch) a buddy and I are planning to make this happen this Fall. A 300ish bull isn't an anomaly there, so with some hard work and a bit of luck I think we can tag a pretty nice one!

"Plus any country that hunts wolves with eagles is cool in my book"

No kidding! That's an incredible video.

Wow! What a video! Never thought of an eagle as a apex predator.
My buck list:
Mountain goat
Brown bear
Moose
Mountain goat
Sheep of some type
Tule Elk
180+ mule deer

For me , my financial situation would have to change drastically before I could reach some on my list. So lets do practical and can be done in my current life situation :

A B&C white tail
A B&C. Mule deer
A decent bull elk
A legal AB big horn.

Now the dream list if I hit the Jackpot: from first to last

A SCI book Greater Kudu
A sable
A impala
A eland
A gemsbok
A springbok

So basically a real good plains game hunt ( would love for my Dad to be there aswell).
Next would be a Cape Buff hunt which is the only one of the Big 5 I m really interested in.
Last but not least would be a combo hunt Yukon moose and Dall sheep.
Maybe a coastal brown bear in Alaska if I had any time or money left.

Argentina or Uraguay for doves, ducks and perdiz.
Somewhere in Alberta or Saschatchewan in Oct shooting ducks and geese.
A week on the Grand Parairie of Ar shooting mallards in flooded green timber.
A pack in high country elk hunt.

For some reason I have never had any desire to hunt bears or sheep.
Have also never had any inkling of going to Africa.

I would also like to meet more of you guys from this forum as well, but beyond that,

Grizzly Bear, moose, a buffalo, mt lion, and a goat. I would love to hunt sheep as well, not sure about them by the time I am able to get at them. I imagine they will be pretty pricey..

Scotty - I think non-residents can put in for our Washington bighorn ram hunts. Probably shouldn't have mentioned that on an open forum. Just what I need, more hunters to compete with to draw that tag!

I'll probably be 93 when I draw. If I live that long! :grin:

#1- Limited Entry Bull Elk in Utah
#2- Arizona Desert Bighorn
#3-Bighorn Sheep in Alberta
#4- Stone Sheep in B.C.
#5-Alaskan Brown Bear

I think on the top of my list would be a good old fashioned whitetail hunt with brother. He passed away in 1995 at the age of 18 from Cancer and although we went rabbit hunting a few times before he passed, he never got the chance to chase an elusive buck with me. Some day.

Today I think I would say:
1. Backpack bow hunt for elk during the rut.
2. Any type of moose hunt in Alaska, gun or bow.
3. New Zealand red stag in New Zealand.

That would hold me over for a while!

Back