Budget scope choice

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
I am looking for a scope for a Vanguard Youth 308 I picked up for my girl. A 2-7x would be ideal, and I am looking at:

Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32
Redfield Revenge 2-7x34
Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32

Of the three, what can be said?

Thanks,

A.J.

I don't know what your budget is, but it appears to be something like $140-180, give or take a bit. If you can swing $200, I'd take a look at this from Doug at Cameraland NY:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vort ... iper2-7x32

Far better optics and mechanics than any of the scopes you listed, I suspect. I don't have anything against those scopes, mind you, but I've heard less than stellar things about the Crossfire (I believe the thread is on this forum, so you might search for it). I've looked through the other two a few times, in 3-9x, but neither of them have impressed me a ton. They weren't blurry or dim, but neither were they especially bright or remarkably clear. I hear good things about both, but for my eyes, neither is going to go on one of my rifles.

dubyam":24gn6xzr said:
I don't know what your budget is, but it appears to be something like $140-180, give or take a bit. If you can swing $200, I'd take a look at this from Doug at Cameraland NY:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vort ... iper2-7x32

Far better optics and mechanics than any of the scopes you listed, I suspect. I don't have anything against those scopes, mind you, but I've heard less than stellar things about the Crossfire (I believe the thread is on this forum, so you might search for it). I've looked through the other two a few times, in 3-9x, but neither of them have impressed me a ton. They weren't blurry or dim, but neither were they especially bright or remarkably clear. I hear good things about both, but for my eyes, neither is going to go on one of my rifles.

+1

AJ, Dub passed you some good information. My only Nikon right now is a 4x12 Pro Staff. It is a pretty good scope for what I paid for it. Nikon's seem to be sleepers sometimes. Their glass is clear and they work well.

I also like the Redfields though. The ones I have shot were clear and adjusted well. Good luck buddy.

I have the 2-7 nikon on my sons 308. It has worked out quite well. For the money it is really hard to beat the nikons. Much better glass than similarly priced scopes.

I'd got a bunch of Nikon's I bought a Nikon 2x7 prostaff for my sons 10/22 very nice scope for the money you can't go wrong.

I like the new Pro-Staffs. You can also find some of the old Viper Vortex 2-7x33 on the web. They are a steal at ~$200-ish.
I like mine alot.

edit - Just saw Dubyam's post... what he said!

CameralandNY has some Viper Vortex 2-7x3 scopes for $199. I would take a serious look at these.

Going for the Viper 2-7 from Cameraland in a set of lightweight Talleys for the others Weatherby :)

ajvigs":1o0aeg8d said:
Going for the Viper 2-7 from Cameraland in a set of lightweight Talleys for the others Weatherby :)

Good move. The Viper is a fine scope.

SJB358":2uh9r0hb said:
AJ, Dub passed you some good information. My only Nikon right now is a 4x12 Pro Staff. It is a pretty good scope for what I paid for it. Nikon's seem to be sleepers sometimes. Their glass is clear and they work well.

I also like the Redfields though. The ones I have shot were clear and adjusted well. Good luck buddy.

Got a herd of Nikons. All good

ajvigs":2ti9kg2r said:
Is there a difference between the Viper and Diamondback?

Absolutely! I have owned two Diamondback Vortex scopes and although good scopes for the money, they are not anywhere near the optical capability of the Viper line scopes.

For the $10-20 you save, I think you give up an awful lot of glass and mechanics reliability, moving from the Viper to the Diamondback.

ajvigs":3ijd05uy said:
Good call on the viper and on the Talley Lightweights. I have switched over many of my rifles to the Talleys... including a few Vanguards.... one of them almost identical to what you've got there... my daughter's youth 7-08.

Back