Building A Couple AR's.......

Mortis

Handloader
Aug 3, 2012
Some days I really wonder if I'm nuts or just plum crazy.....

This weekend, while at the Tulsa Gun Show.... I was 'asked' to build a couple AR's for my friends......... sheessshhh... with friends like these... who needs an enema??

So.... gonna post a couple photos and if something looks strange.... wait a minute...it'll get even weirder before I am finished.

Poach.jpg

This is for a LEO friend of mine...... it will be his support rifle.

Upper is a Stag Arms Model 3H. Barrel is 16" 1-9 twist. Chrome Lined.

Lower is CAV-15 MKII from GWACS Armory, a Tulsa based company. It is a polymer receiver which is injection molded with glass filled Nylon-6. The parts kit used to complete the Lower was a DPMS Panther kit.

This one has an AMBI-Safety......

My Wife's DPMS Panther Lower weights in at 2.42 pounds on our shop scale. Complete, the Cav-15 MKII weights in at 1.81 pounds.

This lower requires the use of a Carbine Buffer.

Optics...... Centerpoint 1 X 25 Multi-Tac Sight. This sight is for testing...but will leave it on if my friend decides he likes it. I have one on Wife's Oracle and he's tried it, so I picked up another one for the test.

Trigger Pull according to my RCBS Trigger Pull Scale: 5.5 pounds.

More on the CAV-15 at the bottom of this entry.

Cooter.jpg

Now this one is certainly different....

Still a CAV-15 lower..... with a Stage Arms Super Varminter Upper. 24" Bull Barrel 1/8 twist.

Lower as above......except color. It is cataloged as Zombie Green.

I put my Simmons 24X - 44mm Target/Silhouette scope on it for testing. Rings used are Weaver Dual Lock.

Trigger Pull: 2.25 pounds. Yes, it's a factory trigger..... or was..... sorta....

GWACS Armory........

http://www.gwacsarmory.com/about-us.html

Now we tripped over these folks at the gun show...... my friend liked what he saw and the price. The base price without guts for this lower was $179.00. Completed Lower was $229.00.

Since we already had the Lower Kits.... he bought it without.

Now here is where things got interesting....... I received a large...Hey Marine!! from one of the folks behind the table....looked up and saw a Marine Corps ballcap ontop of a real big smile. Course, I was wearing my Marine Corps VietNam Vets cap.

Turns out this gent is part owner in the company and a Marine LtCol.

So...here I was putting the LEO together yesterday and discovered a MAJOR problem.

The Roll Pin hole for the Bolt Catch was missing. Got on the phone and got one of the sales folks that was at the show. Seems he was on the range doing some testing, but had me email the office. He in turn contacted another person, who in turn contacted me about the problem.

An hour later, Shel entered the shop....... with a long, aircraft drill bit and a drilling fixture. 10 minutes later the problem was fix.

How's that for Customer Service????????

Let me see...... what's it gonna cost my two friends.......hhhmmm.... told one... a bottle of 30 yr old Scotch....

The other...... hide and watch...hehehehehe

Mortis":3blchfmi said:
with friends like these... who needs an enema??

Dunno if that was a typo or not, but I laughed hysterically at that.

Hey, I have a couple of stripped lowers and two LPKs, can I send them over? :)

Different. I can see the draw of these "black" (or zombie green) rifles.

Cool builds Top! I guess there are worse things to do with your time!! HA!!

BK":24fhpb13 said:
Mortis":24fhpb13 said:
with friends like these... who needs an enema??

Dunno if that was a typo or not, but I laughed hysterically at that.

Hey, I have a couple of stripped lowers and two LPKs, can I send them over? :)

Sure thing...I could use a new Ford 250...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back