Building the 7mm PRC

Good stuff Guy, did some research and the 7 PRC with the high BC has way less drift than the 300 Win Mag at 400 yards. It's a new cartridge, the only drawback is factory ammunition and components will take a few years to fully distribute. None the less, its an awesome round and shoots flat.
I'm itching to turn in my Sako M995 7mm Magnum to convert into a 7 PRC in the future on the next barrel change. 😎

Last edited:
OK - I've given in to the hysteria. I told my smith to chamber me up a 7PRC tube. I'm looking at a 26" Bartlein bl in a 8.5" twist.
Charlie,
Tell us more about your build. The 7 PRC is going to be a good one.

JD338

Charlie,
Tell us more about your build. The 7 PRC is going to be a good one.

JD338
Nothing really special. I have a custom build on a Stiller long action. It is currently chambered in 6.5PRC with a Proof carbon bbl. The barrel has seen 1,000 rds but still shoots well. I popped a whitetail at 501yds the other day from a precarious box blind. LOL
I'm guessing that the barrel won't last much longer so I had my smith order a reamer and a new bbl. The only issue is that without having any brass in hand, I'm not certain about all the chamber dimensions, particularly the neck diameter. My preference is for a .003" bullet release on a no-turn neck with high quality brass.

Who knows when high quality brass will be available. I'm also looking to order a custom set of dies.

BTW - I've approached this build with a little skepticism because I shoot a 7WSM that provides the same ballistics in a shorter package. Generally speaking, a slightly shorter and wider powder column provides more consistent ignition. A shorter action lends itself to being stiffer and therefore (potentially) more accurate.

The main advantage IMO will be that there is a high likelihood that Lapua or ADG will make brass for the 7PRC. No one makes high quality brass for the orphaned 7WSM.

Back