Bullet shelf

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I figured you all might get a laugh from this. While I was playing with the kids outside last week, I heard a dull crash. Couldn’t place it, I don’t hear great, so quickly forgot about it.

Well, the next day I went in to look for something in the freezer and saw this.

I pulled the old rack out and realized the 750lbs per shelf might’ve gotten up to 752 or so on a couple, cause she buckled pretty good.

Anyhow, I had to travel a few days last week, so I drew up some quick plans and got some rough cut 2x6’s.

I got started on Sunday and finished up the new rack

I’m slowly digging out of the mess. Even found some stuff I forgot about.

So beware you bullet hoarders…. Make sure your shelving is strong enough to support your habit :ROFLMAO:

Oh boy, that's going to take some time to sort it out. Those bullets sure weigh a lot!
It’s really ridiculous…. I found stuff I haven’t seen in awhile. I did find about 200 .277 130 BBCs which i thought I had, but couldn’t find before the mess.

Awhile back I consolidated my bullets to one place. I had some in cabinets with dies and those shelves were crying. I brought home an old drawer cabinet from work and welded up a stand to put it on. Now .20 to .284 are in a drawer , .338 to .375 in another and .416 to .458 in the last. The .30 are still in a cabinet above the workbench.
IMG_5149.jpeg
IMG_5011.jpegIMG_5010.jpegIMG_5012.jpegIMG_5013.jpeg

Well buddy I feel for you, I almost had the same thing happen to me only it was a recycled kitchen cabinet I had hung over my reloading bench. The bottom framework couldn't hold the weight and pulled apart while I was sitting at the bench. I was lucky and caught it in time to get most of the contents out before they hit the bench and floor.
I rebuilt the cabinet and made braces out of 2X4s (typing era and should read 2X6s) and then screwed the cabinet to the supports and studs in the wall. I also lightened some of the load as well.
That shelf should serve you very well.

Last edited:
Yikes, it sure left a mess. Sorry to hear that shelf did not hold up to all that weight. Your wood shelf sure looks solid. I had a shelf that I built a ways back when I started reloading, started seeing that shelf buckle and warp under that weight over time, but I still keep buying lead, so I discarded that shelf and got an old solid steel box with wheels from my neighbor who was willing to throw away but could not pick it up due to its weight, and I grabbed that and rolled it to the wall in my garage and piled as much as I can on that 3x3 space. Hasn't been moved since I put it there next to my reloading bench.

I figured you all might get a laugh from this. While I was playing with the kids outside last week, I heard a dull crash. Couldn’t place it, I don’t hear great, so quickly forgot about it.

Well, the next day I went in to look for something in the freezer and saw this.

I pulled the old rack out and realized the 750lbs per shelf might’ve gotten up to 752 or so on a couple, cause she buckled pretty good.

Anyhow, I had to travel a few days last week, so I drew up some quick plans and got some rough cut 2x6’s.

I got started on Sunday and finished up the new rack

I’m slowly digging out of the mess. Even found some stuff I forgot about.

So beware you bullet hoarders…. Make sure your shelving is strong enough to support your habit :ROFLMAO:
Ooops! Big job breaking out Scotty....

Yeah, you've got to think positive, you found those bear claws to try in that new 270.
I’ve been stacking a little at a time. It’ll get done.

And yes. Finding stuff you have forgotten about is a good thing. The new 270 is fun. Well made little rifle. I could see me hunting elk with it.

Back