bullet that shot me at close range was stopped cold, ballistics oddity.

Deltacron

Beginner
Jan 9, 2022
Hi, I got shot, ( which is another story) at a range of about 36” inches and I believe that the story is interesting, aside from being alive to share it. Attached is a photo of the bullet, which I have. It was discovered in the lining of my coat, a dress, wool coat similar to a P-Coat, but not as thick.

The bullet is a hollow point .38 with a load hot enough to cave the base pretty well, but it is only barely misshapen, and while it was a miracle for me, I really hoped it could be a physics puzzle for bullet guys.

Here is the situation, from my assessment, without the drama of the evening.

The bullet was fired through my shoulder as I was attempting escape by tipping the chair I was in, over-backwards.

He pointed the gun at my sternum but hesitated in his execution and trembled with his eyes closed. As he saw me again , I was ejecting myself backward in a tall backed hardwood chair.
The bullet entered just above my clavicle (collar-bone), and went diagonally down to emerge below my scapula, or shoulder blade. As I was pressing back, the exit hole was near, or pressed against the top rail of the chair. The bullet only created three visible marks, (aside from me, sing the role of ballistic gelatin) a small entry hole in the coat that was perfect .38 cal.,
And then a triangular tear about 1” that forms a right angle, and a flap in the back of the coat. These was also an indentation is the top rail that looked like a 45 caliber dent, about 3/8ths of an inch deep. After removing the blood from the coat through dry cleaning, the bullet was found in the lining, and the photo shows fibers from the coat, as well as some yuck, that I cannot tell, what it is.

I have studied on this for a long time and I can see the scoring marks that were ready to kill me, but did not, and my only conclusion is that the whole package somehow made a bullet trap.

If anybody can explain this, it would prevent me fto
Declaring myself a saint, or bulletproof, or anything dumb like that.

In short. How is it possible that a bullet fired into hardwood at 36” able to stop cold and be retained in the lining of a coat.72D71939-1CFC-4A6B-88E4-0CD4D8D6568F.png

Sorry for the typos… I will hope to hear some theories. It only went through soft tissue on me, but how does it stop at hardwood?

Well I’m no expert but aside from a lot of luck it looks like the hollow point got plugged by whatever, being it your clothing or something. Also likely a light load, squib or otherwise faulty which is very fortunate for you again. I’m thinking your angels were all in attendance. Had that been a quality 357 magnum load we might not be talking about this. Be thankful that the average criminal has zero to none when it comes to weapon knowledge. I’ve taken guns off people that had incorrect ammo (380 ammo in a 9mm) that would likely only harm the shooter and in such conditions of neglect that they were unsafe to shoot. Be thankful my friend.

Last edited:
Hi, I got shot, ( which is another story) at a range of about 36” inches and I believe that the story is interesting, aside from being alive to share it. Attached is a photo of the bullet, which I have. It was discovered in the lining of my coat, a dress, wool coat similar to a P-Coat, but not as thick.

The bullet is a hollow point .38 with a load hot enough to cave the base pretty well, but it is only barely misshapen, and while it was a miracle for me, I really hoped it could be a physics puzzle for bullet guys.

Here is the situation, from my assessment, without the drama of the evening.

The bullet was fired through my shoulder as I was attempting escape by tipping the chair I was in, over-backwards.

He pointed the gun at my sternum but hesitated in his execution and trembled with his eyes closed. As he saw me again , I was ejecting myself backward in a tall backed hardwood chair.
The bullet entered just above my clavicle (collar-bone), and went diagonally down to emerge below my scapula, or shoulder blade. As I was pressing back, the exit hole was near, or pressed against the top rail of the chair. The bullet only created three visible marks, (aside from me, sing the role of ballistic gelatin) a small entry hole in the coat that was perfect .38 cal.,
And then a triangular tear about 1” that forms a right angle, and a flap in the back of the coat. These was also an indentation is the top rail that looked like a 45 caliber dent, about 3/8ths of an inch deep. After removing the blood from the coat through dry cleaning, the bullet was found in the lining, and the photo shows fibers from the coat, as well as some yuck, that I cannot tell, what it is.

I have studied on this for a long time and I can see the scoring marks that were ready to kill me, but did not, and my only conclusion is that the whole package somehow made a bullet trap.

If anybody can explain this, it would prevent me fto
Declaring myself a saint, or bulletproof, or anything dumb like that.

In short. How is it possible that a bullet fired into hardwood at 36” able to stop cold and be retained in the lining of a coat.View attachment 16190
That “yuck” that you cannot tell what it is. Is you! 😂

No clue other than it wasn’t your day. I once took a gent fishing who had been shot off an ATV with a high powered rifle at some distance. The bullet entered his pelvis and by the Grace did not expand. No explanation other than God had other plans for him.

Glad you’re here to tell the tale.

Interesting. Glad you're here with us.

I concur that from the look of it, the HP failed to expand due to a combination of fabric plugging and low velocity. I suspect that impact angle might also have played a roll in the affair. Of the three, velocity to me would stand out as the key - a very small amount of barrel length can translate to a dramatic difference in velocity.

I'm also not opposed to the "and then a miracle occurred" explanation, either. Seen some out there stuff.

Back