Bullets for a 1:8 twist .223

Murphdog

Beginner
Nov 28, 2005
I just purchased an Armalite M15A4 with a 20" match barrel having a 1:8 twist. I bought the rifle specifically to control coyotes. My question is can I use the 40-55 grian ballistic tips or do I have to use the 68-80 grain bullets? :roll:

Murphdog":z5zzdt54 said:
I just purchased an Armalite M15A4 with a 20" match barrel having a 1:8 twist. I bought the rifle specifically to control coyotes. My question is can I use the 40-55 grian ballistic tips or do I have to use the 68-80 grain bullets? :roll:

Maybe, and No.

I have a couple of AR's with 1:7, and 1:8 twist, and a 22-250 with 1:7. When I began shooting the tighter twist barrels, I was told that "light bullets will vaporize from spinning too fast". And "light bullets will over stabilize". What I found out is that I can shoot 55 g. Speer bullets (I had a bunch on hand from an old 22-250)in .223 or 22-250 with excellent results and accuracy. I have shot a few 55 g. ballistic tips as well, with the same results. Normally I shoot 69, 75 and 80 g. bullets for better long range accuracy (the 75's in the 22-250) and the others in the AR's for Service Rifle shooting.

I suspect that some very fragile varmint type bullets may not do so well in a tight twist barrel, but I have not witnessed that. If anyone knows of a specific bullet that will vaporize on leaving the barrel, please tell me. That would make a pretty good gag when letting a buddy shoot the rifles. :lol:

Back