burris or leupold

So, does the scope still hold zero? Did your Father send it for repair? How was their service? I find your claim rather hard to swallow without more information....a 338 is a hard kicker but they test these scopes on 375's and with 10,000 rounds at that. A few hundreds rounds out a BAR is nothing.

I've got a couple of Bushnells, and I can tell you they are great so far. I have a Leupold VariXII, as well, and it is a great scope, but no better than my Elite 3200's. The 3200's are tested to 1000 rounds of 375H&H, where the 4200's are tested to 10,000 rounds. Either way, if it breaks, Bushnell will fix it, no problem.

As an interesting aside, I believe the reticles on the Elites are etched glass, but I may be wrong. If that is the case, there is no chance of a wire breaking, or such, so that helps in the keeping together issues.

There's nothing wrong with a Leupold, but I can tell you from experience that the 3200's are just as good as the VXII, and at a much better price point. Same for the 4200/VXIII comparison. I bet my hunts on it.

Just as an aside, I sat leaning against the truck two weeks ago, after an afternoon hunt, in the dark, looking through my Bushnell scope. I was able to pick out individual corn stubble in a field, with my 3-9x40 Elite 3200. I was waiting for my hunting partner to come out of the woods, and just goofing off, to pass the time. UNLOADED gun and all, to be sure, but I could see well enough looking across the field to make a shot on a deer, and it was an hour after the sun went down. I could see stars in the sky, and still could have made the shot! I'll take that kind of performance anytime.

He did send it in, and they were good about it. Yes it holds zero now, but its on a mini 14. Thats about all he trust it on now. He wont put it on another magnum, period. I admit every now and then something slips past QC, this could have been something like that. But once you get somethign bad from a company, you kinda tend to shy away from them. We've had zip, zero, nada problems with about 15 different leupolds over the years. To buy 2 of the bushness elites and have 1 internal adjustment problems, is not very good in my eyes.

Thnaks for your response.

Obviously Bushnell service is good in the USA then. As for your comment about a lack of faith in the scope now, perhaps you can understand my feeling about Leupold better.

I know many Americans are very loyal to their products, especially when you live in Oregon, you have to support Leupold, right? Americans are much more loyal to a manufacturer than Canadians or Brits. That is because we tend to go for the best value rather than "wave the flag" first. When a business fails, we don't blame the consumer for not supporting it...we blame the company for either bad management or a bad product...sometimes both. I am not saying Leupold makes a bad product but I think they need to have a good look at quality control. They might start with their reticles and go from there.

Oh yah, I've heard of quite a few, all on forums though, that have had problems with Leupold. Bushnell service has been great to many. My friend in particular had an old POS 3-9x40, cant even remember what model it was. It was on his .22. The reticle broke inside and he sent it back to them to have it fixed. What they sent him back was a NIB 3-9x40 elite 3200. I could not believe it!

Just curious, whats wrong with Leupolds reticles??

As I stated earlier, some of my scopes had reticles that were not perfectly straight.

Anyway, buy what you want and good hunting.

First let me say I have a leupold vari xII 3.5 x10 and it is a nice scope and has killed quite a few coyotes, but you must also compair apples with apples. You can compair a vari 3 to a fullfield scope, I would compair the signature series and diamond series with that of the higher end brands.

I bought a fullfieldII 4.5x14 for a new 25/06 becuase many who I know that hunt hard and alot of the year state they have very little problems with burris scopes, so I thought I would try one and see. I didn't have 500+ for a scope and wanted the best mid range priced one I could get I could have went with vari xII or the fullfiledII time will tell but look at this link for a good cross comparison of like minded priced scopes.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fullfield.html

Went with a friend shooting last weekend and he showed me his Mark4 Leupold that's on his 7MM RUM has all kind of debris stucked to the objective lens. It seems like the anti-reflective coating inside have flaked off. Never seen this kind of problem on a Leupold. I told him to send it back ASAP.

Eagle Eye":1b6zkodg said:
Go have a look through a Conquest and Leupold side by side and you will see that the Conquest is far superior.

Superior, yes...Far Superior....that is highly debatable.

More importantly, once one considers cost, and the fact that even the 14x-VX-III's are smaller and lighter than almost every model of Conquest made, it becomes obvious why the majority of US shooters choose the VX-III's.

While I agree the Conquest has it's place, I honestly think the most US shooters are better served by the VX-III's. (I currently own and shoot with both brands on my Smokeless Muzzleloader, Rifles, and Rifled Shotguns.)

JRH

JRH":k838kyha said:
Superior, yes...Far Superior....that is highly debatable.

More importantly, once one considers cost, and the fact that even the 14x-VX-III's are smaller and lighter than almost every model of Conquest made, it becomes obvious why the majority of US shooters choose the VX-III's.

While I agree the Conquest has it's place, I honestly think the most US shooters are better served by the VX-III's. (I currently own and shoot with both brands on my Smokeless Muzzleloader, Rifles, and Rifled Shotguns.)

JRH

Better served? Wow, I bet you drive a Chevy or a Ford too! :roll:

Yes, the Zeiss Conquest is a few ounces heavier than a Leupy but its' many pluses are worth a little bit of weight. Zeiss is much clearer/brighter to my eye...and I didn't get the nickname I have by being blind! :wink: Furthermore, the etched reticle in the Zeiss is far superior to the Leupold wires (that are often not even straight). From a price standpoint, the Zeiss is less costly than a comparable Leupy...that makes it a better value. I frequently hear how great Leupold service is and it clearly is very good. But the fact that everyone seems to know this shows it gets used too. I would rather buy a scope that doesn't need repairs. And they shouldn't need repair unless the owner drops it or something else of an accidental nature occurs.

I want a scope I can trust to track properly, have a perfect reticle and superior optics...that equals Zeiss Conquest. I hear they have great service too but I have never had to use it. :grin:

Checkout the optics section of 24hourcampfire.com for lots more info on scopes.

JRH":3ju5modq said:

I'd have to disagree on price. The 4.5-14x44 Conquest I want for my 270'bee is available for about $575, if you know how to shop online. (And that's an authorized US reseller for Zeiss, listed on the Zeiss website, so I know the warranty and quality are first rate.) Now, for a 4.5-14x40 VXIII with a side focus adjustable objective, I am going to spend at least $599 for the Long Range version, or I can get a traditional AO style scope for about $520. Either way, I'm splitting hairs pricewise for the Zeiss versus the Leupold. And I've looked through them both, too, and the Zeiss has the edge, clearly, pardon the pun.

Well, maybe the prices are different in the USA....up here, Zeiss is a bit cheaper than Luepies. It is fairly close though. A Conquest 3-9x40 runs $599 and a Leupold VX3 3-10x40mm is $649.

I will concede the Leupold is a nicer looking scope and more compact but now that I have used a Zeiss, I'll never go back to Leupold...the optics for the Zeiss are incredible and mine tracks perfectly when adjusted for POI. My next purchase will be a 4-14x44mm AO.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide and good hunting!

Note to JRH....I hope my jesking about your wheels was taken as a joke....I use GM for a jab sometimes...I got burnt by them years ago and switched to Toyota....never been sorry either.

Back