Button or Cut Barrel?

As long as you get a barrel from a reputable manufacturer I don't think one is better than the other.

Either barrel type has positives, though it is doubtful that one is truly "better" than the other.

I have now ordered 5 aftermarket barrels. I have a 30 cal Rock barrel that shoots well, and had a Bartlein that shot well. I have in hand a 25 cal Lilja, a 25 cal Rock, and a 6mm Brux. None of those are screwed onto an action.

There's always a long pole in the tent. Sometimes it's the barrel, sometimes the stock, whatever. I have a 25 cal Lilja because getting a 25 cal Rock took a year. The Brux took two weeks, because I found one in stock.

Now that you have the background, you can see I prefer cut barrels, but my preference is changing. Not necessarily changing to button rifled, but changing to no-drama makers. Bartlein, Krieger, Rock, Pac Nor all have long wait times. Brux seems faster, so will likely be my cut rifled preference in the future. But I have not heard of any accuracy or delivery issues with Hart and Shilen. There's a lot to be said for low drama.

By the way, Bugholes keeps a bunch of barrels in stock.

I've had excellent results from my cut-rifled Kriegers and can recommend them without reservation.

On the other hand, from what I've seen in target competition, long range accuracy has more to do with reading the wind than the choice between cut and button rifled barrels.

Regards, Guy

I would prefer the cut rifled barrels, but I can't see passing up a PacNor or any of the other good ones. The only reason I kinda dig the cut rifled is the old Pre 64's were cut rifled and I like the old school way of rifling... Just a weird hangup, but I do hear cut rifling lasts longer before total burnout, probably myth though.. Just personal preference in the end though.

I think Joel's method sounds like a good one.

I am with the majority on this one. I have used Hart, Wilson, Krieger and Brux and only have complaints about one, (Not saying which because I honestly believe it was not the barrel manufacturers fault, but an incompetent gunsmiths). Currently I have Hart and Krieger's on every rifle I own. Each manufacturers barrels in a different way. I think either is just as accurate as the other. I have seen in my experience, that Hart's tend to give a little more velocity, but Krieger's tend to last a tad longer. This is just what I have observed, however. I love both though, and would not hesitate to purchase either again. It honestly comes down to how long I have to wait for either manufacturer to get a barrel to me for me to decide which I will purchase. But, buy any barrel from a reputable manufacturer and I believe you will be content.

Back