Cabelas

From another site.

I called Cabela's customer service today. They said their Pine Ridge 3-9x 40mm matte was made in China.

Cabela's staff said they are verboten to release the manufacturer of their products, but will state country of origin.

With the talk of multi-coatings and made in China, sounds like Tasco to me. I'll stick with that on the Pine Ridge Series until proven wrong. I dare ya.

Alaskan Guide may be a Leupold, but also may be a BSA

I would be really careful with chinese knock offs, you get what you pay for.
I have always said to buy the best you can afford but if you can upgrade for a little more money, you will be much better off in the long run. I am a big fan of Leupold and for good reason, they have world class customer service and a lifetime warranty. Should you ever have a problem, you can count on Leupold to come through in the clutch.

JD338

I was going to say it last night that a guy or gal in china probably made it,but I didn't want to sound like a redneck.But I grew up in Prineville. :lol: :lol:

Most scopes are made off shore. A lot of them in China. The funny thing is when I was young a lot of things were made off shore and were thought of as junk. And then the offshore country started making their off shore stuff offshore for cost. And then that off shore country started hiring labor from another off shore country to assemble the off shore, off shore scopes that were starting to get pretty good. I know this all sounds silly until we consider that Redfield is made in the USA (again). :shock:
I believe there will come a day when Chinese scopes will challenge some of the best. They probably already are, we just aren't aware of it. Minox scopes are German optics with German glass assembled here I believe some Zeiss may be assembled here also. I kind of like the idea of American industry starting to come back to America.
IMHO
Greg

Thanks for the info a friend of mine was thinking of buying one for a 30-30 but we read the reviews on cabelas and not for sure now

Greg Nolan":p8s3cz9e said:
Most scopes are made off shore. A lot of them in China. The funny thing is when I was young a lot of things were made off shore and were thought of as junk. And then the offshore country started making their off shore stuff offshore for cost. And then that off shore country started hiring labor from another off shore country to assemble the off shore, off shore scopes that were starting to get pretty good. I know this all sounds silly until we consider that Redfield is made in the USA (again). :shock:
I believe there will come a day when Chinese scopes will challenge some of the best. They probably already are, we just aren't aware of it. Minox scopes are German optics with German glass assembled here I believe some Zeiss may be assembled here also. I kind of like the idea of American industry starting to come back to America.
IMHO
Greg

Wow, that post made my head spin. :eek:

lechero":de84d6v3 said:
I was going to say it last night that a guy or gal in china probably made it,but I didn't want to sound like a redneck.But I grew up in Prineville. :lol: :lol:

Prineville? You're allowed, maybe even required, to sound like a redneck. :)

winston":spyjxdw0 said:
Thanks for the info a friend of mine was thinking of buying one for a 30-30 but we read the reviews on cabelas and not for sure now

Winston,

Take a look at the Leupold VX-2 series. These are pretty bright scopes.

JD338

POP":1dou0dem said:
From another site.

I called Cabela's customer service today. They said their Pine Ridge 3-9x 40mm matte was made in China.

Cabela's staff said they are verboten to release the manufacturer of their products, but will state country of origin.

With the talk of multi-coatings and made in China, sounds like Tasco to me. I'll stick with that on the Pine Ridge Series until proven wrong. I dare ya.

Alaskan Guide may be a Leupold, but also may be a BSA

I source many items overseas for the company i work for, and if we make a deal with a factory to produce an item(s) exclusively for us with our company logo, we sure as hell aren't going to divulge that infomration to every person that asks. "Made Exclusively for..." cost money, and once someone reveals it, it's no longer exclusive. Stating country of origin is required by Federal law. It doesn't meant that the entire item is made there. Otherwise they would have more package labeling than packaging. Not every piece of a Leupold scope originates in the U.S. Same goes for the new Redfield series.

I like Cabela's, but don't buy anything with their name branded on it. It's typically a lower- quality made version of the original.

Greg Nolan":g873wfm7 said:
I kind of like the idea of American industry starting to come back to America.
IMHO
Greg

I like that, well said Greg! I will take the product that says made in the USA over just about anything else, as long as it is comparable and reasonably close in cost. Scotty

I have a couple of the Alaskan Guide models - or I did.
The 4 - 12 model lost the adjustment capability. The scope was roughly
4yrs old if I remember correctly. I called Cabela's requesting information on
having it repaired. :evil:
Knowing it wasn't a Leupy I wasn't expecting anything without a cost associated with it, however
it's turned out they can't even repair them. S.O.L. !

Back