caldwell ledsled

chipper

Beginner
Jun 11, 2009
I use a caldwell bull bag and sand bags in the rear. Interested in one of the ledsleds by caldwell. Does anyone use one and which one is the best and are they worth investing in. I do good with what I have but as you all know we always want something better if it will help us shoot more consistantly and take some of the human error out of shooting.

I'd steer clear. A good set of sandbags is simply the best rest I've ever used. And the lead sleds and other immobilizing, recoil reducing rests are very tough on stocks, from what I've heard and seen. More than one broken stock can be traced to locking it down in a lead sled.

I have one; I've used it twice. It is more trouble to use than to learn to shoot heavy recoiling rifles. I does introduce an artificial aspect to results as few of us are willing to carry a Lead Sled in the field.

Chipper,
I believe its just a personal preference using a lead sled. I have the dual frame model and use it quite often. I use 2-25 lb. lead shot bags on the trays then load down the rear with additional weight. I shoot my 300 Ultra Mag and 30-06 from the sled, but have used the conventional method as well, sand bags and Hoppes tripod rest. I have not experienced any damage to my stocks to date. POI does not seam to be affected, at least in my opinion. It does offer an alternative to getting beat around during a long day bench shooting.

For what it's worth, I have close friends in Colorado that use the sleds to shoot their rifles,comprised of 264 Win Mag, 7MM Mag, 300 Win Mag etc.,they kill elk with no problems and their POI is not affected, their typical kill shots are 300-600 yards.

Best of luck with your decision,
Don

NOP have never seen one on a benchrest competition.
the rifle needs to have its natural movement, the best
rest are custom made for benchrest competition, cadwell
has one coaxial, and I like the ones made by Sinclair.
I wouldnt invest on one of those rests with weight.

I have never used the lead slead and have heard a lot of pros and cons.
If you do use one, it would be wise to verify your zero from field positions to ensure everything is exactly where you want it.

JD338

I have a lead sled, received it as a gift form my wife one Christmas. It works as advertised, no issues with POI changing or stock damage. I have shot 243 through 338 rum in it.
It is sometimes hard to wrap yourself around the rest when the weather is cold... it adds a bit to your length of pull. Mine does not have straps to hold it in place, the gun is free to move up during recoil.
I will admit my best groups still come from a bipod or sandbags. CW

I bought the lead sled that has the tray for bags. Flattened out the curved lip closest to shooter, and anchored 2 25 pound barbell plates using velcro straps. It holds the weights solid with no movement at all.

At one time I thought it affected POI but further test with different bullets proved it to be the bullets and not the sled. I have been using it for when I stay all day at the range and shoot 25-40 rounds of 338 win mag testing loads. Afterwards I shoot off of rest only. No difference in POI. My stock is not affected. The way the rifle just rests on the front elevated sand bag rest and sits in the rear U cupped holder with leather strap, I think this sled transfers and absorbs appropriately so that it does not affect the stock. Maybe other models do not do so well.

I am not impressed with the front elevation adjustment wheel. Its pretty sloppy. Otherwise this works good.

It works for me

I don't strap down the rifle either as previously stated, rifle is free to jump.

Don

I use the benchmaster like Pop. It has a more natual fit then the leadsled. I stap a set of 10 pound ankle weight to it for the big stuff. Even with the additional 10 pounds, the rest still moves under recoil, and needs to be reset after each shot, so I'm not too worried about stock damage. It's not made for benchrest shooting, and would suggest something else for competions... Of couse if you need extra weight for your 6mm ppc :roll:

Back