Caliber and Bullet Questions For First Yukon Hunt

I bought a new VX-6HD 3-18x50mm in preparation for a moose hunt and have had no issues dialing out to 800 yards.
just curious what bullet, weight and load you will be using on your moose hunt with your 338 RUM?

Cheyenne grew up in that neck of the woods and has more experience with the game in that country than just about everyone else on this forum; you can take her advice to heart!
She has years of experience studying and living amongst the bears in the far north.

Good to hear from you Lil' Sister!
Cheyenne, It's nice to meet you via this forum. I look forward to learning from your wisdom!:):)

just curious what bullet, weight and load you will be using on your moose hunt with your 338 RUM?
That hunt was in 2018. I took a 48" bull. The load was a 250 gr PT with 98.6 grs Retumbo Nosler case and Federal GM215M primer for 3024 fps. 1 shot through the off shoulder at 70 yards dropped him in his tracks.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_095942722_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181011_095942722_HDR.jpg
    934.2 KB · Views: 16
That hunt was in 2018. I took a 48" bull. The load was a 250 gr PT with 98.6 grs Retumbo Nosler case and Federal GM215M primer for 3024 fps. 1 shot through the off shoulder at 70 yards dropped him in his tracks.

JD338
That's a nice bull! Congratulation's on your hunt!

Personally I would give some serious thought to Warne Rings and Bases and I would stay with their all steel version. I've used their set up for my .338 Ultra mag and for a .375 H&H and absolutely never had a problem. Their equipment is just plain tough.

Congrats on your hunt. Either of those cartridges will do just fine.

The odd thing with the Yukon and Interior AK, you often need more range rather than more power- especially with caribou. You can easily shoot far with either, I've always though the 300 was easier to shoot at distance.

When I started to read your post I immediately thought of what rifle I would take.

I’m a fan of the .338 Win Mags but a .300 Wetherby is more than sufficient. There is no question that the .340 is sufficient. My only concern would be the one that you shoot best. I’d probably use the 180 grain AccuBond and call it good.

Have fun and good luck! 🍀

Vince

Can you share what the problems were?

I have mounted the scope using Leupold 2-piece backcountry aluminum scope mounts with integral rings. The set-up looks very robust but based on your comments I am questioning if this was the best choice. Because the bases and lower rings are a single piece a set of screws is eliminated so I have two sets of screws (one set for the base and one set for the top ring. I have used the PRW many times and have never had any issues with them but there is an extra set of screws. One set for the base, one set for the lower ring and a third set for the top ring.

The backcountry mounts with integral rings have fewer screws which I like but they are aluminum where the PRW rings are steel so they are probably stronger?

So many decisions !!!!!!!!
I think your BC ring mounts are good. They are very strong as well.

Your 340 should be all a person could want in that country. With the 250 AccuBond, I can't see a flaw in your set up.

That's a nice bull! Congratulation's on your hunt!
Thank you CT.HNTR. yes, he's an excellent bull for Newfoundland. We will see if WY is kind to me and I draw a Shiras Moose tag this year. Hopefully I can do a Yukon trip in the near future.

JD338

I'd sure love to see you get the opportunity for a Yukon hunt, Jim. Your trip, if you drive, would bring you right through town for me. A Shiras moose hunt in WY would be special, as well.(y)

I'd sure love to see you get the opportunity for a Yukon hunt, Jim. Your trip, if you drive, would bring you right through town for me. A Shiras moose hunt in WY would be special, as well.(y)
Mike,
That sounds like a plan my friend!

JD338

Cheyenne it is great to see you post(y).
But I do have to mention something regarding your post about Mike & Gil, there comes a age when men start forgetting a lot of things:ROFLMAO:!!
Sorry to both Mike and Gil.
Dan

But I do have to mention something regarding your post about Mike & Gil, there comes a age when men start forgetting a lot of things:ROFLMAO:!!
Dan
Sorry? You should be ashamed, Dan. Always good to see your posts.(y)

Practice from field positions at the distances you mentioned with the .340 and 250 AB. Experience shooting off a bi-pod , pack, etc will instill much confidence when on the hunt !

Last edited:
Dan
Well Dan,
It's a good thing that I am junior in years to both you and the Dr! ;)
May the sharpness of mind and jump in my step keep me afield for many years to come!

So I wrapped up my Yukon hunt last week. It was an awesome hunt and I ended up shooting a real nice bull. We spotted him bedded down in an avalanche chute across the valley. We ranged him at one mile. My guide cow called him in and I shot him at 240 yards. Being in the Yukon and taking this bull was a phenomenal hunting experience and the memories will last me forever. The bull had to drop down into a drainage and when he popped up on our side of the drainage he was in a clear opening with no willow in the way. He was below me and quartering to my right. I put the crosshairs on his right shoulder and fired. He wobbled for a second and dropped in his tracks. We recovered the bullet under the skin near the opposite hind quarter for about 40 inches of penetration.

I ended up bringing the 300 Weatherby magnum and shooting the Weatherby ammo using the Barnes TTSX 180 grain triple shocks. I chronographed the MV at 3,300 fps so at 240 yards the bullet should have been traveling around 2,850 fps. So I dropped the bull quickly so it was a clean shot that took out both lungs. That being said I was surprised with the weight retention of the solid copper bullet. The recovered bullet weights 117 grains for 65% weight retention with no petals or mushrooming on the front end. Looks like I lost the full front of the bullet going through the shoulder bone. A lot of reviews I have read about the Barnes bullet lead me to believe I would end up with about 95% weight retention so 65% really surprised me. It was a good shot, the bull dropped quickly and I had exceptional penetration so the results were great but I am struggling the judge the terminal performance of the bullet?
IMG_8874.JPG

Congratulations on your bull, he is a dandy!
Looks like the bullet lost it's pedals going through the shoulder but it definitely gave you penetration. I'd say it did it's job well.
Beautiful bull and country.
Thanks for the update.

JD338

Back