Cannelure Question

JohnD386

Beginner
Jan 16, 2012
Fellas I have a Cannelure question. So I run 130gr Partitions out of my 270win and with the current seating depth I shoot quarter size groups. So I got some free 130gr Hornady Interlocks with a Cannelure on them. At my current seating depth the Cannelure is exposed. Is this ok? I have no intentions of putting a crimp on these rounds. Rifle is a model 700.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    744.1 KB · Views: 330
The cannelure does not need to be seated to the lip of the neck. You are just fine as the cartridge is currently set up.

The good Dr is correct again. Keep in mind, the OAL your Partitions prefer may not be the same OAL that the Interlocks like in your gun. It's a good place to start your load development with this new bullet but you may have to tweak your seating depth a bit to find its sweet spot.

Using a Hornady bullet for my .300 Win Mag I started at the cannelure but quickly came to discover that seating the bullet longer, much like your picture, gave me tighter groups in that rifle. My issue was that my rifle became a single shot rifle as the rounds were too long for the magazine.

If it's a hunting rifle I would load no longer than the magazine box. That's a lesson learned the hard way by me this year and one I don't look to repeat.

Like any change in reloading supply's you have to start over to find what your rifle likes. The cannelure is there for crimping if you don't crimp don't worry about it. I don't crimp but I have found that with Hornaday bullets their suggested seating depth is measured from the base of the bullet to the bottom edge of the cannelure. Start long and shorten up to get the best performance.
Dr Mike nailed it for you.

Its the OCL measured at the O-give match it to the partitions and you will be close.

Distance to the lands is what you want to know for performance and safty.

Back