Cartridges you can NOT do without?

TRIC":z2gxxtuz said:
OK, Pop, I'll bite -- put down near everything in North America, short of grizz, with my Mannlicher .270....and always tote my 4" Model 29 .44 Mag

Sweet 270 you got there!

Pop, just a bit of background on that Mannlicher...spent 21 years in Uncle Sam's Army and toted that rifle around the world a couple of times. Bagged axis deer, roebuck and wild boar in Europe. Caribou in Alaska and NW Territories. Red deer in New Zealand. But couldn't wait to get home on those rare occasions to down an elk...

Will try to figure out a way to post a couple of picts...

Sweet! Let me know if I can help. I will make a sticky post on Off-topic forum on how to post a pix.

Well for a rifle, or two, my Sako's in 308 and 280. Pistol, probably my Glock 23 in 40 SW.

But when I run out of son's and son in laws and have a bit of spare cash I want a 280AI built by Speedy Gonzales.

Long

POP,
That would be great. I would also like to know how to post pics. to this site!

Growing up on a farm/ranch I got to use/learn with a Colt python 38 specials are great for this. I traded a half dead calf for a Rossi 357 carbine and dies and an Orange crush. I was off to the races shooting almost every type of .357 bullet there is, not to mention my closet full of cast molds.
The rifle is allmost half the weight of a 30-30 but can do more. I load bird shot and go shoot pigeons in the sheds or barn. Then take the 38 specials and go looking for rabbits. Then for deer it does just fine. I will not get into a 30-30 vs 357 but i would suggest to go get some ballistic gelatin and compare it will suprise you. It is a nice short range rifle. I have 27 one shot kills on mules and whitetails. There was even one 200 yard shot (a friend with a 270 was next to me) it was hit in the lungs walked 30 yards and dropped. So for a light throw around rifle it is hard for me not to toss it in the CJ2a and be gone.

340boy":44url9kw said:
POP,
That would be great. I would also like to know how to post pics. to this site!

Look under that same subject in the "OFF TOPIC" forum here.

Rifle ctg. - .30/06 [Browning FN Safari w/180gr partitions]

Pistol ctg. - .45 ACP [Les Baer Premier II w/Kead 200gr SWC]

My favorite rifle now is a stainless mod 70 300 ultra.

I also have a 257 wby ultralight that is pretty sweet. Although I don't really hunt with small bores.

Hate to say it but I don't have any that I could not part with.

One of my favorite hunting rifles was a pre-64 mod 70 308 win.

I could easily do all my hunting with a 308 winchester.

Listed in order of priority. 1. is highest.

1. Colt Woodsman .22 LR.
2. Sauer drilling 16 16 8-57
3. 220 Swift Pre 64 M70
4. 358 Win. S 99
5. 6mm Rem. Intl. 40X
6. 358 Win. M70
7. 243 Kimber 84M Montana

Others.

my old ruger 77 .243....wouldnt take anything for it.imo best all around huntint round up to deer.

maxx

ruger 22 auto, remington 870 12ga, 300 win mag in the ss ruger markII, 22-250 in something, right now it's a remington 788

Rifle: My Ruger M 77 Mark II All-Weather in .270 Win.
Pistol: A T/C Contender in .270 Win. or .30-06 Sprg.

Back