Case H2O Capacities

TD, looks like you are seating them out about the same OAL as I am, thanks for the QL you shared for RL15 in the email.

I am doing 66.5 grains and 67.5 grains of RL17/225BT as a start, so we are right on the same track.

I have never put a factory crimp or otherwise on the Whelen AI loads, however with the compression what's the thought on getting a Lee FC die?

Bonz":o6yf6wwi said:
TD, looks like you are seating them out about the same OAL as I am, thanks for the QL you shared for RL15 in the email.

I am doing 66.5 grains and 67.5 grains of RL17/225BT as a start, so we are right on the same track.

I have never put a factory crimp or otherwise on the Whelen AI loads, however with the compression what's the thought on getting a Lee FC die?

Just my thoughts on the Lee FCD. My opinion but it's one of the best crimpers out there and takes very little to make a very solid bond. I've been wanting to try it on some of my cartridges for a long time and use them for all my lever gun and handgun rounds now. I've gotta think they will work excellent for bottleneck cartridges if they are adjusted up nicely.

Neck tension has been enough for all my needs thus far, wondering if the compression would call for (or just make it a good preventative idea) doing an FC to avoid bullet creep. I have a Lee FC die for my 300 Win Mag, used it for years with no better or worse results than neck tension alone, but not using compressed charges.

Tid-bit of info for you guys...

Last fall when verifying the zero on the AI, I noticed the pressures were up with the box of ammo I had loaded the year before (200 TTSX). Slight ejector slot mark and the bolt had a hint of resistance. I recalled something I had read years ago that bullets can "weld" at the case mouth from oxidation or brass/copper react as dis-similar metals for lack of a better way to describe it.

Anyway, for grits and shins, I took the remaining loads home and sure enough, I turned the seating plug in just enough to get movement and got a solid "crack" when the bullet moved on all the remaining rounds. Took them back to the range and pressure signs were back to normal. Yesterday, took the box of rounds from last year and proactively broke the bond on each one, same "crack" as last year as the bullet moved.

I've seen the same Bonz and that's why I usually use fresh ammo year to year and shoot through my leftovers as range ammo to practice.

... I hate burning up a box of (19) 200 TTSX rounds each year after only needing one for the critter the previous fall!

I do keep the round count down on the 35 AI, though. Usually disassemble the rounds with a kinetic bullet puller in order to use the bullets for new loadings, then neck-size the cases. I did that yesterday for loading the new powders I am trying with QL. Put a piece of foam in the puller to keep bullet tips from becoming deformed.

Howard I'm only neck sizing my AI cases and the tension is fairly good since I use Reading sizing and seating dies. The sizing die has a tapered expanding spindle and doesn't over work the case mouths and case necks. I've thought about the Lee FC die but I want to see how the case holds the bullet with out it. A tapered crimp would be more to my liking than a roll style crimp since they put less stress on the bullet.

Copy that. I will put some rounds in the magazine while shooting at the bench, see if there's any issue with the bullets moving or not. I don't suspect so, but with compressed charges I guess I'm just curious.

All right guys it's been a tremendously long time. Figured this was the best thread to revive my questions in. Hope everyone is still around and doing well.

I have continued to use the 200 TTSX in my 35 Whelen AI with IMR 4064 as the powder. Has been wonderful on elk and deer.

Wondering what the QL.data would be with that bullet for the new Alliant Power Pro Varmint and MR 2000 powders. Those both show up in the Speer manual as being outstanding. MR 2000 for the heavier bullets and Varmint Power Pro for the lighter ones.

77.2 gr case capacity, 25" bbl.

In the past hunting seasons since I was active here, both of my sons have harvested a pronghorn on the plains of Colorado and their first elk in the high country. One has done it with the 270 Winchester and the 110 grain TTSX, the other with a 30-06 and 130 grain TTSX. Pretty cool, an antelope to elk load for each rifle.

Cheers guys!

Back