Case Neck ID

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I know we have discussed this many times but not every bodies chambers or dies are the same.
Working with the M77 Hawkeye 338Wm I have been using the same 20 cases for load development over and over annealing them every 3rd loading with very good success with keeping the brass in good serviceable condition.
I checked the ID of my brass neck and compared it with new unfired brass that I resized to straighten out the dents and out of round necks.
I'm using Nosler seconds since they were the cheapest brass I could find when I first got the 338Wm.
The ID of new sized brass is .335" ID from my Redding full length sizing die.

The brass that has numerous loadings but fired once after annealing sized in the same dies runs from .3355" to .336" ID.
I was wondering if this is consistent enough for good bullet neck tension?
I've read where .002" difference between bullet diameter and brass neck ID is preferred and if that is the case I'm right where the ID should be.
Any thoughts about this would be appreciated.

TD, I shoot for .003" neck tension with my guns. .002" is pretty acceptable as well, but the main thing is that it is consistent from case to case. A .001" of difference may or may not be noticeable in your rifle. I tend towards .003" using the pin gauges in order to get a very firm grip on the bullet but plenty of folks use .002" as their gold standard.

On some guns I can nail the neck tension using the bushing die, on some I use the expander mandrels which typically net me .002". I figure as long as they are consistent it is all good.

Scotty I always worry a little about neck tension since I use molly-bedim on the inside of my case necks when sizing to reduce the drag on the expander ball so it makes me wonder if it effects the neck tension. I would think because of the luberacy of the molly the bullet would release from the case neck easier but when using a kinetic bullet puller it takes quite a few strikes to break the bullet loose and they don't come out easy.
The new brass is .003" and the fired brass runs .0025" - .002" and I'm thinking metallurgy has something to due with it since when I worked in a aluminum smelter in the cast house we had a specific alloy mix range that would pass specifications.
So I'm thinking no matter who makes the brass cases the metal manufacture can ship brass with a slightly different alloy mix lot to lot and still make the required specs and each lot will react differently to annealing and work hardening.

For sure. That is why I got a set of pin gauges to check it. It's a pretty simple set of tools but it helped me understand what is going on. I think with annealing and paying the amount of attention you are on your brass you are in good shape.

Are you running the 210 Partitions still? Are they still shooting well for you?

I used to use .001 neck tension and I see inconsistent groups from time to time with fliers here and there and I don't anneal but would like to sometime in the future. I would feel different tensions on the neck when seating bullets. A member on another forum advised me to use .002 or .003 tension if needed for better and consistent even grip on the bullet from round to round. Since then I have seen a lot less fliers and stopped using .001 tension.

SJB358":1vm0yjtj said:
For sure. That is why I got a set of pin gauges to check it. It's a pretty simple set of tools but it helped me understand what is going on. I think with annealing and paying the amount of attention you are on your brass you are in good shape.

Are you running the 210 Partitions still? Are they still shooting well for you?
Yes I am and I picked up another couple of bags of them off SPS so I have plenty to shoot.
Between the weather and a minor health set back I haven't been able to get to the range to shoot much lately.

One off the best things I have learned on this forum was how to anneal my brass and I contribute that more than anything else for consistent neck tension.
My repeatable technique with sizing the brass and bullet seating hasn't hurt anything either.
Another good thing I learned was when Dewey showed me how to get a quick accurate load by finding the node.

TackDriver284":1vm0yjtj said:
I used to use .001 neck tension and I see inconsistent groups from time to time with fliers here and there and I don't anneal but would like to sometime in the future. I would feel different tensions on the neck when seating bullets. A member on another forum advised me to use .002 or .003 tension if needed for better and consistent even grip on the bullet from round to round. Since then I have seen a lot less fliers and stopped using .001 tension.
Annealing is simple and all you need is a deep well socket, short extension, a hand drill and a propane torch with a semi dark room to work in to watch the brass change color so you don't over heat it.
There are more then one post floating around here on how to anneal and even a video made by a big handed Marine demonstrating how it's done. :mrgreen:

truck driver":vhft5k5l said:
I know we have discussed this many times but not every bodies chambers or dies are the same.
Working with the M77 Hawkeye 338Wm I have been using the same 20 cases for load development over and over annealing them every 3rd loading with very good success with keeping the brass in good serviceable condition.
I checked the ID of my brass neck and compared it with new unfired brass that I resized to straighten out the dents and out of round necks.
I'm using Nosler seconds since they were the cheapest brass I could find when I first got the 338Wm.

The brass that has numerous loadings but fired once after annealing sized in the same dies runs from .3355" to .336" ID.
I've read where .002" difference between bullet diameter and brass neck ID is preferred and if that is the case I'm right where the ID should be.

Let me muddy up the water and this is good article.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... hing-size/

30-338":t0g59qyz said:
truck driver":t0g59qyz said:

Let me muddy up the water and this is good article.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... hing-size/
Good read which I have read before but since I don't use bushing dies or turn necks on my brass like most recreational shooters / hunters it doesn't help a lot till it starts talking about carbon build up in the necks and the brass condition such as times fired and annealing where I think really makes or breaks the average reloader making consistent ammo.

Since annealing lets me get a lot of loadings out of my brass because it softens it there is less memory than work hardened brass, this helps to maintain close to the same inside diameter of the case necks overall.
To help cut down on carbon build up in the necks I run a Hoppes stainless steel turbo bore brush into the case necks which polishes the inside of the necks with out scratching them like a bristle brush will and a light coating of moly before sizing so the expander button slides in and out easier and doesn't cause the necks to stretch or get out of shape.
One thing the article talks about is bullet seating depth and how it effects tension.
Since I don't seat into the lands I always have more then a caliber diameter seated into the case so that eliminates that problem with consistency.

Yep there are so many variables to consider that it gives me a headache and I just do the minimum to create the best ammo I can and this forum has given me a headache from time to time and went back to using the KISS method several times till I figured out was being said just like the article which some of it was over my head since I don't do a lot of the things printed in it and don't plan to.
But thanks for the link it does help to read how the bench rest boys prepare their brass.

Back